Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The future of RTE after Tubsgate.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

The problem is that the “something else” will come in one of two forms.

Either it will be direct taxation and that will come with strings attached (see the CBC in Canada or ABC Australia for how that could turn out).

Or it will be increased reliance on commercial revenue, possibly to the point of essentially being a state owned commercial broadcaster a la TVNZ.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭RoTelly

There are even problems with both CBC and ABC. (Though I have little knowledge of ABC, some of its Drama and Comedy out put seems good at times)

CBC TV is commercial it runs ads, only CBC Radio has no advertising. CBC RE: sports its a slightly different market, with little sports appearing on CBC over their commercial rivals, their commercial rivals...well both NZ and Canada's commercial players did involve Canwest much like TV3, though canwest has gone.

Also Canada is heavily influence by the US, while Australian commercial TV has a content requirement for Australian Drama and programming, though they could have eased that at this point.

As I say even though I don't like those 3 options ... (btw Australia also has SBS, NZ has Whakaata Māori and while not separate CBC has Société Radio-Canada, long with several provincially run PSB such as TVO in Ontario, Télé-Québec and the Knowledge Network in British Columbia)

I think we have moved beyond the monolith that is RTÉ, and as I say time for it to be broken up while remaining in state hands.

And in fairness to ABC and CBC both have regional variants something we don't have.

There is always the 3rd option and that is to split up RTÉ, much like that of France, which can't be much worse than what we currently have.

I think keeping RTÉ they way it is will just lead to it staying the same, and as much as I think CBC is bad, I think RTÉ has sunk and my bias to being attach to RTÉ may taint my eyes to CBC.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 3,618 ✭✭✭roadmaster

If part of the RTE reform was the sale of Montrose and them relocated, with Modern Technology for broadcasting Radio & TV would they need as much room?

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭TAFKAlawhec

I guess the question is wherever, after the costs of relocation & purchase of new associated equipment, there would be enough monies raised to both tackle existing liabilities as well as keep costs sustainable in the longer term?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭thesandeman

They moved Joe Duffy to a bigger room 🙄

His is pretty much the only programme that doesn't need space for studio guests or anything.

Liveline could be broadcast from a medium-sized broom cupboard without too many alterations.

• Advertisement

Yeah I was just reading there that they put a new radio studio in to the Television Centre, I'd assumed that they upgraded RTÉ Radio Studios, can anyone confirm either or both happened.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 6,622 ✭✭✭Tow

Joe is stationed in the second new studio S7-1. I believe this is in a new building, built with the money from selling the site. Old studios are still there, in need of updating, according to Kevin.

The second studio, S7-1, is still under construction and will be completed by the end of the year. This studio is designed for one presenter with four to five guest positions. It will be mainly for current affairs, talk shows and an arts programme. consists of a 1+5 studio and a control room. The studio has an internal area of 6.1m x 6.6m accommodating 6 microphone positions. The studio is designed for video and includes 8 PAN-AW-UE100 4K PTZ remote-controlled cameras. The control room has internal area of 6.1m x 4m with direct line of sight to the studio for the sound engineer and production team. The Systems Integrator for both studios is Dublin-based Creative Technology.

Article on the first new studio RN3:https://www.ibc.org/features/in-depth-behind-the-scenes-at-rte-visual-radio-studios/9344.article

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

Irish Times article suggesting that there will be 400 redundancies at RTE, about 20% of the workforce. Also some radio services such as RTE Pulse, 2XM, Junior and R1 Extra are due for the chop. Also more money will be spent on independent productions.

Basically it is strategy 2024 and RTÉ just move on, no improvement of services.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 33,125 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

How much money will axing Pulse, XM, Junior and R1 Extra save?

Never heard any of them.

• Advertisement

Probably right. Any increase in the license fee (if it remains) would be politically unpalatable as well as unacceptable amongst the wider public, so its a cutting the cloth to suit exercise. This is probably the opening move by RTE in their efforts to be seen to steady the ship.

But how does going back to a Strategy created by Dee Frobes and signed of on by Moya Doherty steady this ship?

It is disappointing to see this being rolled out as some kind of New Direction or new thinking for RTÉ. when in reality it is much of what we have seen before.

Rather then invest sometime in to showing the strength that RTÉ has, lets pull back completely.

The licence fee is finished in any case, RTÉ will soon be fully funded via the exchequer.

______

Yesterday

Yep. The government may tell RTE to go away and try again. Just mentioned on RTE news as well that the +1 versions of RTE 1 and 2 may be axed too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,247 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Next to nothing because they are not big cost centres.

Fair City cost €10m/year in 2016, and I'd consider that a major cost centre that's also low hanging fruit but will that be touched?

The problem is RTE has grandiose notions about itself that cannot be supported.

They'll get their bailout though, because broadcasting cannot only fall to the independent sector, otherwise the far right bogeyman will take over.

To make room for Sky Mix and Sky Arts, Virgin Media More.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mickey Mike

I'm almost sure that RTE Gold and RTE Chill will be included in the axe as they are rubbish. If any of the digital radio channels are to be kept, it should be RTE Radio1 Extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 weyod73154

About the cost of electricity for running 6 harddrives but "closing 6 radio stations" looks good on paper.

I est the cost of Fair City to be €15m based on their annual report and the annual report from commissions.

Total drama is stated as being 18m, with the commission saying they spent 2.5m, and Radio 1 saying they spent 500k. Meaning the remaining Drama is 15m and as RTÉ don't produce any other drama.

Co-pros come under the Acquisition Department, were they spend about 4.5m on Irish productions, though not all of this goes to Drama.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

To be fair the broom cupboard would need significant alterations to accomodate Joe's rapidly increasing girth.

All digital radio station will be axed save for RTÉ Radio 1 Extra, what you consider crap other may not.

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,905 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I'd be wary of the license fee being exchequer funded. To me that would mean that the Government of the day could influence the national broadcaster to report things a certain way, i.e. favourable to the Gov of the day. Pravda in Eireann.

But then again it is Pravda like as it is, but could be even more so if relying on the largesse of the Minister for Finance.

There has to be a better way.

RTÉ have no control over the funding method, they are basically delivering an uncosted Strategy 2028.

The method of payment has nothing really to do with the problems that exist in RTÉ, license fee payers are exasperated at RTÉ that is why their is a 30% reduction in license fee payments. RTÉ do not want to recognize this, or any of the problems that they have created for themselves. At no point did anyone asked An Post why they could not collect the licence fee.

This is will take 5 years to deliver. I would be surprised if they ask if the CO can move to the NCH.

______

Yesterday

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

That was exactly what I was hinting at a few posts back, I fear it was missed. The other problem is that every crisis in the public finances precipitates a crisis at RTE as it’s asked to bear its share of the next FEMPI, once DPER are holding the purse strings (as they would inevitably be in a direct funding situation).

The +1 channels are probably not necessary, and I’m not sure if many are listening to the non-core radio channels, although I fear the amount saved by axing them will be small in the overall scheme of things. Radio 1 Extra will be the most problematic, because it effectively replaced Radio 1’s AM variations, and there’ll need to be a place for schedule clashes. Mass on a Sunday will probably not be a good fit for 2FM though, although Lyric is also an option I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,247 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

The method of payment has everything to do with the crisis at RTE though. If RTE was direct exchequer funded, then the Tubridy scandal would've passed by now, with maybe a few scalped (likely Forbes) the most serious consequence. Now due to the fact the license is a voluntary tax, people have collectively voted no confidence in a way that forces RTE to address its broad failures.

If there were no license fee, the crisis would be over, and business as usual would have continued.

The license is important to be retained because it allows the viewer to directly hold rte to account.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,321 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

There could be a bit of irony surrounding to announcing the reported closure of the RTÉ radio and +1 stations for broadcasters on Saorview. It could mean that this move would cost them more money to stay on Saorview unless more channels come on the platform to balance out the cuts from RTÉ.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

I posted in the radio thread my thoughts are that rte gold will survive as its not mentioned specifically in these reports. But we wont know until its published in full and radio one extra is to go

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭AJB39

The license fee is not a voluntary tax, it is a legal requirement if you own a tv. Anybody who owns a tv and doesn’t pay it is breaking the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭SPDUB

I was thinking that myself .They are obviously aiming at the transmission cost rather than the cost of providing a PVR to delay the feed .

Sort of surprised they haven't gone for RTE jr and the News Channel if they are looking at transmission cost .

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mickey Mike

Dee Forbes had suggested most of these cuts in 2019, ie the closure of DAB along with the digital radio stations, pulling Lyric out of Limerick or even closing Lyric FM, selling off the RTE Guide. But this bought about too many objections from the public, so nothing was done apart from closing DAB. Now push comes to shove.

If and when the RTE+1s channels go, RTE should move all their channels to a MUX 1 and let Virgin Media, TG4, OTV and Sky fully move to MUX 2. It could mean the final arrival of VM1 HD. TG4 could end up ditching their+1 channel.

• Advertisement

If there's to be a refocussing on RTE being more of a PSB than a commercial entity then I'd say the news channel may survive.

Advertisement