Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nigel Farage cries persecution, nobody wants to be his banker after ties to Russia

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭sameoldname

Ah. So the tory party decided now was the time to go after him. Not back before 2016 when he actually held a large amount of political sway, but now, after he's retired from politics?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

If you think that repeatedly attacking the courts because they won't let you spend billions to move asylum seekers to a dangerous dump is "at most centre right", I would absolutely hate to see what you consider right-wing. Particularly as that's what you'd actually vote for.

The Tory party have always been right wing - never centre right - and have moved further and further to the right to appeal to the fruitcakes and lunatics (terms that Farage himself appeared entirely OK with his voters being called, I must point out - see his last HIGNFY appearance) that voted for Farage and his ilk.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭paxreseuropa

So his bank accounts have been closed due to a payment of a measly few thousand pounds. Wouldn't it be wonderful if these self-righteous banks dissolved themselves for their involvement in Russia and with companies and individuals with links to the Kremlin, et Al. because undoubtedly you can be sure that if you dug deep enough and were privy to such insider information you'd find they were complicit in such dealings.

Not that I see anything wrong with what Farage done by the way. But its just typical pontification from the powers that be.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,854 ✭✭✭Cordell

It's not corporate power, it's the other kind. It's not because it's someone who we dislike, it's because he was paid by a hostile foreign power to effect harm on his country and the EU, the ones he has sworn to serve. We won't be seeing any proofs because they may not be the kind of proofs that can be seen. Why is it happening only now? Probably because that hostile foreign power is now making nuclear threats.

This is not about freedom of speech.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Regulators and governments do indeed and in these strange times taking money from Russia can get your account blocked. The world knew this for the last 16 months

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Did this happen? Were his and his families bank accounts suspended, actually frozen which means his family can't take or transfer money out of the accounts?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,769 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The whole thing makes no sense as he tells it. He was at his political zenith in 2015 as a 7-time failed candidate for the House of Commons. He couldn't win in some of the most right-wing constituencies in this country. Brexit happened in 2016 so if the "establishment" is going after him, why now?

The obvious answer is that he's grifting again. Maybe he's bored with his fringe show on the fake news network he works for or maybe he's broken the law in which case he should absolutely have the book thrown at him. I don't believe a word he says, frankly. It's perfectly possible that he's simply making all of this up for attention.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 16,485 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I'd imagine the details will come out soon and it will leave egg on his supporters faces again. Banks typically don't act like this without a good reason.

Banks usually don't care about the politics of the day either (unless they need a bailout :).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,769 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Exactly. They were happy enough to do business with the BNP, Reform UK and UKIP.

He's up to no good again. There's no way that he's telling the truth here. I'd say (pure speculation, mind) that he has a CIFAS marker on him. He's been linked to dirty money before.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

There was one of those mundane questions on after-hours here a while ago, typical "Who'd you like to have dinner with, dead or alive"

Someone said "Nigel Farage - Dead"!!

It was a (good) joke before the eternally hand wringing offended take offence & water damage their keyboards with crocodile tears.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭purifol0

You seem very sure that's what happened.

And its not just in these strange times either, Patreon is very happy to deny or revoke service to anyone that the powers that be put on a naughty list. Paypal was infamous for it, and sure their Euro HQ only up the road in Blanchardstown. There's many a documentary that shows the western banks happily launder mexican cartel cash, despite that also being against the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭purifol0

Uhuh well it would be in the best interest of EVERYONE that they do give a reason.

Otherwise your heading into a China situation, where your finances are locked to your social credit score. So no matter how much youve got, you literally cant spend it, even if that meant buying a ticket out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭mikemac2

These are all fascinating and deserving of a new thread.

Nigel Farage took money from Russia Today and has been sanctioned. Considering he was defeated 7 times in the UK elections he does not have the best of advice around him

• Registered Users Posts: 81,995 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

He's referred to refugees as "human cargo" so you're on the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,995 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

The same ones complaining Boards 'has no craic anymore' I wager

• Registered Users Posts: 32,278 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

The FA/premier league is not some standard bearer when it comes to it's allowed ownership, it is pretty much a law onto itself, the fit and proper persons test is a low bar look at some of the past and current owners of clubs. But even they have limits clearly, e.g. Abramovich being forced to sell, well I say sell but he lost any money he had invested (including a billion plus of money he "loaned" the club).

No one knows the real details behind this story and Farage is not exactly a reliable narrator. It has been proven he will do pretty much anything for money in the past (apart from actually doing much work as an MEP - when he was on the EU fisheries committee he turned up for a grand total of 1 meeting out of 42, and he had the second worst record of voting as an MEP).

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

You need to stop believing the BS that you are being fed. I spend over thirty five years working in banking and we had a lot more politically sensitive clients than Nigel Farage could ever be. On top of which he is a very influential person, so when you cut ties with him you know that you will probably loose a couple of thousand other clients and given that he is in fact part of the establishment, some of those will be wealthy private clients. This is not a decision that was made by a lowly compliance officer - it was made at the very top levels in the bank and was not because the bank decided the risk involved in his actual banking activities had become too high to continue having him on the books.

Now you can believe whatever you want to believe, but Nigel knows, just like I do, that he is as safe as houses presenting this any which way he likes because the bank is legally prohibited from commenting or discussing the matter. Now if in fact he can't find a bank willing to touch him then there would have to be some very very big red flags flying, so lets see if he actually does move - I'm betting he won't.

And it is a fact that within the EU citizens have an actual right to access basic banking services as I said.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,622 ✭✭✭Nermal

https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/basic-bank-accounts

Thirty-five years in banking and you don't know that UK citizens have those rights too?

So Farage is lying once again. Thanks for confirming.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

I wonder could he bring a challenge to this decision under the EU e-commerce directive if the UK were still in the EU?

Ah well!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,010 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Where can he move to. Brexit abolished freedom of movement.

Ireland is possibly his only European option 😶

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 6,903 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Its still a good joke - there's a gulf of a difference between that and cheering on denial of basic banking services to people, no matter how slimy said people are

If there were evidence of criminal wrongdoing, the bank would have detailed the evidence to Farage, or at the very least reported it to the relevant authority. Instead, they claimed it was a "commercial decision".

Farage already said that he was offered basic banking services from another bank within the group, but that he would not be entitled to more advanced services, including access to a business bank account.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,278 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Has he not consistently dodged questions about having a German passport? Two of his kids have them...

Banks don't ever publish the kind of detail you are talking about.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

He has a German ex-wife. It's a hallmark of upper class Brexiter agitators to have an EU passport just in case.

H. H. Asquith

An Irish ex wife and a German ex wife apparently.

Terry Pratchet

If the bank were either unwilling or unable to provide any sufficient detail, they would have -- at the very least -- reported anything illegal or fraudulent to the relevant authority.

At present, there is not a shred of evidence of any wrongdoing nor any probe or investigation into his finances.

• Advertisement

In this case I do think it might POSSIBLY have been excessive but we don't know the full reasons why the bank did this.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement