Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grooming gangs in Ireland targeting girls in care

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Lemsiper

What's your opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Arthur Pants
    Overlord

Is there an elephant in the room?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 minersrepite

I think it’ll be ignored because of classism, they are largely working class white girls in care.

Anyone who highlights the ‘cultural’ nature of this specific type of gang grooming will be called a racist to shut down discourse.

In short there will be inquiry and report with nothing substantial done just like in the U.K.

The governments multicultural project and immigration policy takes priority, industrial scale rape of girls will be collateral damage.

Unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 minersrepite

There seems to be. The article and report alludes to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭Quitelife

There’s so much crime in ireland at this stage due to an inadequate amount of police and prison space loads of crimes are going unpunished.

Politicians are afraid to talk about crime in case their accused of been racist be that Irish or non Irish ethnic groups . There no appetite to deal with crime anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,002 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

A bit of an urban myth (peddled by the usual suspects on social media) that this is mainly a problem with black men and Muslims:

"Research from 2015 found that of 1,231 perpetrators of "group and gang-based child sexual exploitation", 42% were white, 14% were defined as Asian or Asian British and 17% black."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭newmember2

There must be some over-representation there surely...no?

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭bingobango12

The percentage of white people in the UK is 82%. So I don’t see how you are seeing an urban myth here.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,002 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

You could definitely argue the case that black and Muslim perpetrators are heavily overrepresented in the stats - but our far right friends on social media never have any desire to discuss the activities of white grooming gangs, which are the majority.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

What’s the news here? Damaged and young people are always the easiest to exploit. Where there is a market there is supply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭newmember2

Yes of course, shur it's just basic economics. All these fking alarmists...

You’ll always find someone to use that opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,079 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Are these girls under 18?

Where are their parents?

If they are in care, how are they able to leave their house to meet men?

By that I mean, I presume there are foster parents, or supervisors?

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Notmything

In care isn't like prison. They are allowed out like normal kids.

Reality outside of secure care there's feck all can be done to stop people in care from doing their own thing.

Fwiw the group in question in the article are all native white Irish

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭TokenJogger

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Notmything

After school, in the evening, at weekends, you know like other kids

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭CreadanLady

And who is allowing them out? Surley the care institution has a duty of care towards children placed with them. How could they reasonably consider it to be safe to let them out of the institution's grounds unsupervised at all hours? Especially considering that they are already in highly vulnerable states, hence their need to be in the institutional care system.

Another clanger by Tusla. I wouldn't let them mind my cat.

The MFV Creadan Lady is a mussel dredger from Dunmore East.

If there is even a suspicion of anthing bad happeneing, they should not be allowed out.

The same rule a responsible parent applies to their own children should be applied to these children.

They should not be allowed out of the care institution unsupervised if they are under 18.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 9,692 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Yep, from the laundries to the work houses to the borstals, the use of vulnerable children as sexual currency has existed since the foundation of the state. It's a disgrace, but not a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Hoop66

"Researchers" doing a lot of heavy lifting there. They were from the (now-closed) Quilliam Foundation. The "massively discredited as anti-Muslim extremists" Quilliam Foundation.

Funny that when you start to Google them the very first suggestion is "Quilliam Foundation Grooming Gangs", but if you just Google "Quilliam Foundation" the results are somewhat different.

How can they just run away from an institution? Surely if it is a Tusla managed institution for the care of minors, they have a duty of care to ensure that their residents are kept safe and they ought to know that some teenagers are a flight risk. Therefore they ought to make sure that their facilities are properly secure and any comings and goings are known about, and supervised.

Easier said than done. If they want to run away because they were promised **** then they’ll find a way.

But how is this taking place? What are the mechanics of this grooming scam thing? Are they luring victims in with promises of money or stuff?

I thought most teenagers are tech savvy enough to be able to cop this sort of thing, but I guess these are damaged teens so perhaps they are not, and that is why they are targetted.

And are the grooming gangs deliberately targetting victims in institutional residential care homes? Are there insiders in the care home staff complicit in orchestrating, facilitating or turning a blind eye to the grooming?

Reading the article there about how taxis are turning up and care homes and taking girls away to hotels. I mean jesus, how can those in charge of the institutions allow this to take place. Is there no security at all? How can you be running an institution for vulnerable teenagers, and then just buzz a a random unannounced taxi in through the main gates and let them go away out the gate again with a teenager no questions asked.

Its crazy. It makes me thing that the someone in the instititions is in on it.

How can it be allowed happen that a car load of men turn up at a care home and go away out the gate with a 16 year old, every night of the week, and no-one in authority, be they a senior manager or the person at reception or the gate hut, thinks to say "what is going on? that is not right that cannot happen it must stop".

Are there insiders in the care home staff complicit in orchestrating, facilitating or turning a blind eye to the grooming?

Its crazy. It makes me thing that the someone in the instititions is in on it.

I mean, obviously.......

• Advertisement

Event the hotels ought to be considered complicit. How can any normal person see a taxi pull up with random old males and a vulnerable teenage girl late and night and not suspect something dodgy is afoot?

And how can a taxi driver turn up to a home with a bunch of random men and think nothing is strange when they pick up a teenage girl and go to a hotel late at night?

Every participant who failed to notice, turned a blind eye or facilitated this sort of thing ought to be found guilty of being peadofiles or accomplices. Home management, gate security staff, taxi drivers, everyone who saw and did nothing at every step of the way ought to be investigated.

Advertisement