Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

URC 2023/24

Options
18910111214»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,612 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

A semi final in SA vs one in Ireland is a rather gigantic deal though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

In the grand scheme of things an away match in the playoffs is no big deal. I would focus entirely on the Champions Cup for the next few weeks, and after that I’d give any player a rest that needs it.

The URC playoffs are the time to have the full team playing.

Having to play a semi-final in SA and come back a week later to the NH to play a final would be a massive negative factor.

The players just had 2 weeks rest.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,107 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I full expect Leinster to put out as strong a team as they can at home against connacht, should they require the win to reach top 2, regardless of how the CC goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭bingobango12

Out of interest, where do you see those 8 points coming from from Leinster and Munster? Would have both winning all their remaining games personally.

My own prediction:

Leinster 68 Glasgow 67 Munster 67 Bulls 63

• Advertisement

Leinster should beat the Ospreys, don’t think they’ll beat Ulster with their seconds, and a week after the CC final I’d say they’ll put out their seconds against Connacht, so I’d expect two wins and no bonus points.

I’d expect Munster to win against Connacht and Ulster, again with no bonus points.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

After watching Connacht last night (and over the last month) and seeing their injuries, Munster should be getting BP win.

They'll also be favourites in Edinburgh on recent form.

Leinster will BP Ospreys and Connacht. Ulster depends on the team they send up there.

Wouldn’t say we’ll be favourites necessarily in Edinburgh, we’ll have a tough match against Connacht and then 6 day turnaround to play Edinburgh in their home ground, and they have Zebre at home the week before that. I could see Edinburgh being really well-prepared and firing by May 17th, as well as they will be desperate for a win towards gaining qualification.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

You're putting way too much emphasis on the 6 day turnaround. Munster have a week off, play Connacht and Edinburgh and then have another week off. A 6 day turnaround may be tougher in the middle of a long run of games, but this isn't that.

Edinburgh may be fired up, but Munster are better than Edinburgh and battered them over there last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,791 ✭✭✭✭phog

The Cardiff coach gets a ban for his "interaction" with Mike Adamson after the Ulster game. I understand the ref's decision is final and coaches/players need to thread carefully when challenging a ref but when will the URC do something about Adamson, he is literally capable of doing anything and players get frustrated with his decisions/indecisions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Lord Palmerston

Cardiff & the WRU embarrassed themselves in their reaction to that game though - he got that big decision in the end game (the Carre deliberate knock on) 100% correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

What are they doing to do about a ref who got the decision completely correct? WTF are you talking about?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,107 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Dragons making two good signings for next season.

Solomone Funaki from pasifika is a tough back rower, and Harry Wilson from the tahs (not the reds!) is a young centre / outside back who is the son of 1999 world cup winning Dave Wilson

• Registered Users Posts: 23,791 ✭✭✭✭phog

Sharks into Challenge Cup final, if they win it it's squeaky bum time for Connacht, Ulster & Benetton, as they take a Champions Cup spot next year. All 3 are in the bottom of the top 8 and all are currently on 44 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭StormForce13

That's debatable. And - needless to mention - he got a couple of other equally big decisions wrong.

Update: Owen Doyle, in his piece on refereeing in this morning's Irish Times, criticised Adamson (without naming him) and other URC referees for their consistent level of incompetence.

Post edited by StormForce13 on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Bulls will win this but can see both sides getting TBPs

I guess we want Bulls to win but it's a great game

Glasgow replace entire front row on 30 min

Glasgow might win this

• Registered Users Posts: 12,424 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Glasgow get the TBP and it's kind of game on..

• Advertisement

Glasgow getting 2 BPs is bad news

Needs the Lions to beat them next week

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Ciaran

Worst possible result for Leinster and Munster.

The table is getting very interesting going into the penultimate round of the league stage.
    The bottom 6 teams are meeting fellow bottom 6 teams this weekend.
    Zebre v Scarlets: Zebre's best chance to get a win and get out of the bottom spot. They will be away to Glasgow the following weekend. Prediction: Zebre to win.
    Sharks v Cardiff: Normally should be a good contest as tied on 25 points, but Sharks will probably put out a second string side on Saturday what with their Challenge Cup final coming up the following Friday. Prediction: Cardiff to win.
    Ospreys v Dragons is a life-line for Ospreys, they need other results to go their way and they need at least 4 points to have any chance of qualifying. Prediction: Ospreys to win with a bonus point.
    Astonishingly, there are 5 matches featuring a top 5 team versus a team placed between 6th and 10th; Edinburgh v Munster, Bulls v Benetton, Lions v Glasgow, Connacht v Stormers, Ulster v Leinster.
    Every one of those matches will have a knock-on impact to the overall standings in the table. Leinster are the only team of those 10 teams that will be putting out a second string team with their Champions Cup final on the 25th.
    The top 5 are all fighting for a high finish in the table, while the lower ranked teams are all fighting for qualification.
    Expect every one of those 5 matches to be played like a Cup match. Even though Leinster will be resting their front-liners, they have a huge amount at stake also, so there will be plenty of motivation for all sides.
    The URC is shaping up very nicely to dish out entertainment over the coming weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,938 ✭✭✭leakyboots

It's a much better league since the SA sides joined

Advertisement