Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,594 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Yes Fanning on RTE Gold - Saturday 6pm slot and also on Sunday there's a Fab 50 through the years retro series.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,928 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

While we are on the subject RTE described the blizzards as one of the most exciting bands ever to come out of ireland

😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭RoTelly

The Sound and Vision Fund is a small part of the license fee it should be remember that the CnaM are RTÉ's authority and the CnaM might want to consider the governance and mismanagement of the National Broadcaster under there watch, which has lead to the fall out from the licence fee. RTÉ retain a massive amount of the Sound and Vision Fund, following by TG4 and then by VMTV, all of Radio is next.

Those in the industry may want to start asking RTÉ to hurry up fixing the mistakes they have made.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Me either. If someone had told me 12 months ago, I'd be eagerly awaiting Tub's first radio show after Xmas 2023, I'd have died laughing. Funny old world!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,370 ✭✭✭jmcc

Keep thinking of that Seinfeld "seat filler" episode where Kramer gets to be a seat filler at an awards ceremony. A bit like Tubridy and the screening of that Crown episode in London. :)

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

BAI funded Lucy Kennedy to the tune of €250k for some shite for Virgin, so that alone wouldn't have me rushing to pay my licence fee :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Not everything funded is going to be to everyone's taste, but lets not throw the baby out with the bathwater.

This is true, but I think the baby is up **** creek at this point!

CnaM need to take some charge, and RTÉ need to make massive changes. When that is done I might consider turning the immersion on so the Baby can have a fresh bath.

______

Yesterday

Not surprising really with RTÉ running the show, really these reviews should come under the CnaM at this point.

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,923 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Ex-RTÉ executive claims he was left out of Tubridy pay meeting 'to conceal' deal from him (irishexaminer.com)

RTÉ’s former chief financial officer (CFO) has said he believes he was excluded from an infamous meeting concerning payments to Ryan Tubridy in order to “conceal from” him what had taken place.

Richard Collins left RTÉ in the fall-out from a series of scandals at the broadcaster beginning with the discovery of €225,000 in hidden payments to Mr Tubridy.

Mr Collins said that at a meeting he attended on April 30, 2020, it was agreed that RTÉ could not underwrite a series of payments for the former Late Late Show host which were initially intended to be made by car dealer Renault.

One week later on May 7, a Teams meeting was held between former director general (DG) Dee Forbes and Mr Tubridy’s agent Noel Kelly at which a verbal agreement was given by Ms Forbes that RTÉ would indeed underwrite the deal. The decision eventually saw RTÉ pay Mr Tubridy €150,000 in two separate payments of €75,000 wired via a barter agency in the UK.

In a letter to the Public Accounts Committee (PAC), Mr Collins said he can “only speculate” as to why he was not updated regarding what had happened on May 7, which differed fundamentally from what he understood to be “agreed company policy on the matter”.

“It would appear to me that the intention was to conceal from me that the decision made at the meeting of 30th April 2020 had been reversed,” he said.

-------------

Separately, it confirmed that Mr Tubridy was paid €12,500 per month, for June, July and August of this year — the months when he was off the air following the scandal over his hidden payments. This was prior to negotiations over a new radio deal with RTÉ being terminated by its director general Kevin Bakhurst on August 17.

---------

Regarding her exit from the broadcaster under a voluntary redundancy programme, a programme for which only obsolete jobs were supposed to qualify, Ms O’Keeffe said it would not be “appropriate for me to make any public comments” pending a public review of that programme being compiled by law firm McCann Fitzgerald.

So many skeletons left to uncover. The taxpayer got screwed as per usual and FFGG stand idly by.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,787 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

And let's not forget ......"Ryan Tubridy said if they are not called upon for the six remaining gigs, the money will be handed back." (per RTE report on his original appearance, which he appears to have forgotton about, as has the media).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,158 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

A broke company paid Tubridy 25 grand for doing nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Was Mr Collins the Chief Financial Officer who had no idea what he was being paid

probably understandable that he was left out of financial negotiations

• Registered Users Posts: 33,264 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

• Registered Users Posts: 6,958 ✭✭✭Tow

I once wrote a cheque out to the Collector General for ~37,000. I can now see it was well spent.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

Hard not to be angry with these incompetent people in RTE.

I think that we're in the Aliens solution territory: Nuke the place from orbit and start again.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I have been on the Collector Generals mailing list for 20 years

It disgusts me where my money ends up

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

"Only way to be sure"

Now if only KB were as ballsy as Hicks.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,199 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Lookit……If the current mob are largely still intact John Q Taxpayer will still be butt reamed.

Any Govt who gets rid of the current licence fee process and replaces it with yearly contributions from general taxation to thi llot deserves to be kicked out of office rapido.

We have seen and can still see the stuff this lot got up to being fast and loose with the taxpayers dollah while winkelling in their own grubby little sidelines on the strength of a public persona.

They want to ‘geld’ JQT so they can work their own little fifedom away from prying eyes and continue the ‘omertà’ style of management so beloved by Tony Soprano and his friends.

It’s getting very like that right now.…… we need to stay awake.

• Advertisement

Sinn Fein seem to be the only major party considering funding from general taxation:

Everyone else seems to be leaning towards a dedicated household broadcasting change that would replace the TV Licence. And despite strong reservations to the idea in the past, it's looking more likely that it will be Revenue collecting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

When you see Fair City dropping an episode every week you know things are quite bad, that should be one of RTE's top priorities, it's a serious attempt to reflect modern Irish society and it's being slashed is a more serious matter than the cynics would have you believe. And it poses the question, can things get better for RTE, it it makes its own output worse? In the circumstances Revenue are going to have to deal with the fee collection.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

They can always try spinning it as a bargain 'sure look at what we were paying him to do nothing before all of this'

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Baba Yaga

not a thing is going to change in rte as far as i can see...they got their bailout and its now a bit of window dressing to make it look good while new ways are dreamed up to pish it away as fast as they can...close it up for a few months and start fresh

"They gave me an impossible task,one which they said I wouldnt return from...."

ps wheres my free,fancy rte flip-flops...?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,928 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

The entire point of hiring contractors is to pay them when they are working not sitting at home eating jellybeans

Can't wait for the FFG people to claim that she and SF are being "populist".

It is the only logical way of saving RTE's public service function. Break up the company and let RTE's commercial arm sink or swim in the market without licence fee or exchequer funding. Think that people like Tubridy are worth tens of thousands of Euro per month? Then let them f*ck off to some broadcaster who will pay them that and then, when they inevitably begin to lose audience numbers, let those broadcasters deal with reducing their salaries or firing them. They'll soon be fired if they are not pulling their weight.

And as for the RTE "management", the same thing can be done. The prize for wasting money on fiascos like "Toyshow - The Musical" shouldn't be a transfer and a pat on the back in commiseration about it not working out. These people have to learn the value of money extorted from licence fee payers and the exchequer.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Imagine you're running RTE and the little bubble head Ryan Tubridy sends his agent after you to get sly topup deals signed off on, to bolster his already egregiously high wage. Instead of telling him......."Eh, fúck off and we might renew your next contract, maybe".........You actually circumvent your CFO and keep him in the dark in order to placate "RTE's biggest star", in case he might........excuse me while I fúcking choke laughing..........decide to leave for another broadcaster and an offer of even more money!

Then you're replaced by a guy who pays him €37k for 3 months leave and who bends over backwards to offer him his old job back for the absolute pittance of €180k pa

Then Mr Tubridy, after failing to begin a Joe Rogan beating podcast from his home office, after failing to secure another prominent role in Irish media or indeed a role on a major show on BBC radio, ends up taking a job on a mickey mouse station, where he will be working long hours relatively speaking for well below €100k

It disgusts me on a fundamental level.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

I'm going with -

Noel: Look Dee, whatever you do, you do not want to lose Ryan on your watch

Dee: Jesus Noel, you're right. What does he want?

Noel: 75k by 3, no cuts - Don't care how it's done but I'd suggest CMS through the UK

Dee: Okay, leave it with me. Jesus, thanks Noel

Noel

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

Why is there still a post from a re-reg with just one post, personally attacking another poster still on the thread? It was posted at 12:01pm and was reported.

Hello?

• Advertisement

The Mods are volunteers. It’s likely they have better things to be doing on a Saturday afternoon.

Unlike the total melt that went to the trouble of signing up for yet another new account to post that primary-school level attempt at an insult. And me, of course.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement