Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

The LLS has no business trying to copy US and UK chat show's because it doesn't have the quality of guests and it's always going to be fairly amateurish anyway. Gay was a world class broadcaster who could easily have gone to work for a US network in the 70's so his ability papered over a lot of cracks in RTE. But the old LLS's greatest asset and throughout P Kenny's time too, was the panel debate. That is the only thing that an Irish chatshow can bring to the table. There's enough going on both domestically and abroad to warrant a solid panel debate from opposing views.

To my mind it's a travesty that this Friday night, instead of having on some people to talk about Israel, ie the likes of an Alan Shatter versus a pro Palestinian voice, we're going to see some pointless influencer or similar non entity being interviewed and it all being completely forgettable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Caquas

Hi Chatbot!

You genuinely think Tubridy would post what I said about the LLS?!

I’m almost afraid to ask, but what reasoning process brought you to such a daft conclusion?

How do you reconcile this view with the fact that Tubridy hosted Donie in 2021?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭hamburgham

Yes, that is exactly what is lacking. I would enjoy any of those discussions. I'd love to hear the Burkes for example. It shoud be like a night in the pub where there's a bit of lighthearted stuff but you can really get stuck into an argument as well.

I can't stand this effort to turn it into the GN show which is shallow, rarely funny and totally overrated. Though it pains me no end, if what I have read is true, I would agree with the RTE backroom staff who say this new Head of Entertainment (lol!) guy doesn't 'get' the LLS.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,937 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Turning the lls into an American format was tubridys idea

• Registered Users Posts: 8,389 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Former RTÉ chief financial officer declines PAC invitation

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2023/1010/1410105-rte-pac/

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I see O'Keefe has refused an invitation by the PAC. She is most definitely hiding info. I wonder will she be texting in her thoughts.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,372 ✭✭✭jmcc

Not good enough. She should be compelled to appear.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭bigroad

Its time these golden circle types were dragged down of their high horses and made answer the questions put to them .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Time is up for the softly softly approach from the PAC, it's compel/drag in by the ears time for all of Forbes, Jennings, O'Keeffe, O'Leary

• Registered Users Posts: 4,891 ✭✭✭gifted

Completely agree....but unfortunately these types always manage to find a legal way to get out.....whereas the ordinary joe soap never manages to find a legal way out....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,355 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

She'll be getting mysteriously sick too no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭RoTelly

She said: "I have been subjected to unjustified, excessive and intense negative media intrusion in both my personal and professional life.

"This is very stressful to me, and my family and it is unreasonable that this be allowed to continue."

Can you imagine if Rory Covney or Jim Jennings or Richard Collins stating the above remember Geraldine O'Leary:-

From my side, I am not sure that my position is tenable because the invasion into my privacy, the effect on my mental health and, most importantly, the erroneous reports on both Twitter and in newspapers about me and my husband has crossed a line that I do not find acceptable.

Perhaps Dee, Ger and Breda and the girls just get a harder time in the press, unlike poor Rory, Jim and Dick.

but then perhaps Jim is feeling the same way.

Didn't Breda herself try to throw Dick (Richard) to the wolves? Only then she mentioned her exit package.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 19,275 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Unfortunately this indicates for the umpteenth time how the taxpayers were ripped off by a coterie of ‘insiders’ both in RTE and to a certain extent,the wider media diaspora.

There were big players and smaller players for sure but rest assured that it would appear that a large percentage had a finger in some kind of pie.

Whether it was eye-watering wedges,‘hospitality’ ,cars, allowances,appearances,cronieism for families, gifts,quid pro quo,the list is extensive.

All cloaked in a casket of ‘omertà’ that would shame the mafia., anstill they haven’t been brought under control.

Unbelievable Geoff.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,837 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Remember this whenever you see the media doorstepping their latest target and calling for “full transparency”. That’s their mantra until the spotlight turns on themselves. Then it’s all about “respect my privacy…family…well-being…need space and time….”

As I said, nowhere more opaque and paranoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭arctictree

How does that actually work? I mean can you resign your position but still be on the payroll? Nothing in RTE would surprise me though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Tow

Since I made the post I heard is confirmed on RTE. She is just no longer a producer of the LLS. In the public sector once you turn up you still get paid.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,372 ✭✭✭jmcc

Still no sign of any job offers for Tubridy?

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭RoTelly

It sounds to me like 2 things have happened and I could be wrong.

This years interim funding has been applied as per budget 2023 but I also think that RTÉ are getting more support for 2023 and that "capital expenditure" is for 2023 not for 2024, and the minister has yet to announce RTÉ interim funding for 2024!

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Administrators Posts: 53,648 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Karppi

• Registered Users Posts: 28,837 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

He is keeping busy... but not competing with RTE:

Irish Country Living is delighted to announce that this year’s keynote speaker for their annual Women & Agriculture Conference is broadcaster and author Ryan Tubridy.

https://twitter.com/IrishCountryLiv/status/1712004103482593645

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Tow

Nether is An Post but they work in the same way. Google 'An Post Rubber Room' to see how they handle excess staff.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Administrators Posts: 53,648 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The producer didn't resign from RTE, she's just leaving the LLS. There's nothing particularly unusual about this, it's certainly not unique to the public sector, or semi-state bodies, it would be a common enough thing in the private sector too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Don't think it can be done. The electorate in their wisdom voted against it. We had a referendum in 2011 to allow the legislature to compel persons to appear before them however this was rejected and dismissed as a "kangaroo court". We're all about people's rights in this country but not so hot on accountability. We get what we deserve.

There is an interesting sentence in this report which was clearly based on leaks from RTÉ insiders.

Former Late Late host Ryan Tubridy also clashed with the station's new head of entertainment before he stood down from the helm of the show

We have never had a real explanation for Tubridy's bombshell announcement that he was quitting the LLS. He talked about "privacy" but c'mon, what was really going on here? Why did he drop a Paddy's Day bombshell instead of allowing RTÉ to manage this change, if that's what he really wanted?

The LLS ratings were tanking and Tubs was losing out to Tommy Tiernan on Saturdays.

Did Tubridy jump before he was pushed? Alan Tyler's appointment as Head of Entertainment was announced at the start of May, six weeks after Tubridy's bombshell but did Tubridy see the writing on the wall when RTÉ ran an external competition for Head of Entertainment?

I never really understood what Tubridy wanted to achieve with the LLS - it veered between Oprah and "This is Your Life" with a smattering of music - but it was weird that he jumped ship. Did he really expect to be paid half a million Euros just for chatting on the radio for a few hours a week? (I know, Jooooe Duffy, but seriously?)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,988 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Perhaps he got an offer from Nestle he couldn't refuse...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,307 ✭✭✭CH3OH

Another one gone

SNAP!

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Will_I_Amnt

I don not believe for one second that Tubridy was not aware that the poop was about to hit the fan

And that's why he left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Again, what kind of a golden parachute did Collins receive to resign??

His predecessor got a massive "redundancy" package and refuses to cooperate so he probably played hardball.

All money from the stupid taxpayer of course.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement