Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marathon training plan

Options
  • 22-06-2023 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭

HI all, signed up for Dublin marathon this week so looking for training plan. It will be my first marathon and I'm aiming for time under 4 hours. I have done 2 half marathons this year after return to running in Nov 2022 and have few other races lined up already. Current half PB is 1:49:22 from Cork couple of weeks ago.

Would following Garmin suggested workouts be sufficient(based on garmin calendar entry) or should I follow specific plan?

Garmin coach have only shorter distance plans and does not have full marathon plan.

I have looked up online already but there are so many training plans and not sure which one to go with.

Thanks a lot.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Hey there, good job on geting Dublin spot

My advice would be pick the plan that you would most stick to. the nature of the marathon is to build up the volume as much over time but slowly so you dont get injured. Some of the plans won't factor in where you are at with your fitness so might start too slow (which i think Garmin Coach does) but also you don't want to be flogging yourself doing speed sessions that are probably unnecessary for your goal.

You can get sub 4 by running consistently every week and running easy. No problem.

The start line uninjured is sometimes the first goal, then have an idea on your time in your head but understand that could all go out the window on the day for a multitude of factors. And as its your first, you are guaranteed a PB

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

There's a group here for novices signed up for Dublin (or other Autumn marathons).

You'll get a choice of plans, mentoring and possibly some new running buddies.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

Yes as ariana says, come on over to the Mentored novices thread, it's got all the advice and plans that you will need for your first marathon

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Mikeh22

Get a running coach

Cuts out all the guesswork and increases accountability

You wont regret it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Id nearly say join a running club, more chance of aligning with someone in the same boat which would increase accountability more so than getting a coach, who will likely sign you up to a generic spreadsheet or plan anyone could source online and include a check in every now and then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭TheRef

I wasn't that far off your situation last year. My half PB was about 1:58 and I was aiming for sub 4 hour. I followed the boards plan that @MisterJinx mentioned and got home in 4:11.

Advertisement