Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mixing scope rings/mounts

Options
  • 19-06-2023 10:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭

I've fitted a picatinny to a swedish mauser and mounted the scope.

While zeroing I have exhausted all the dials to bring the shot down, aka its still shooting high by about 4 inches from where I want it.

My question is basically about placing a higher scope ring at the rear. This will bring me down in shot placement and I'd possibly have to dial it back up(and ive an abumdance of room to do this). However is this something that will work? Can different mounts be used, eg a high mount with a medium or such?

Tried to make a shim, didn't work out for me!

This isnt anything massive, the Mauser was iron sights and got good usage, I just found myself more often going for my other rifle (with scope) for hunting and wanted to even the playing field a bit

Best Answer

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭clivej

One big problem is crimping the scope tube. Get a set of burris signature rings with the inserts. Between all the inserts you can achieve 40 MOA. And you can nearly zero your scope without dialing in.

Expensive but they will do exactly what you're looking for.

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Paddyviking

I'm not an expert by any means but have you thought about getting a picatinny with the options of 5/10/20 MOA which effectively is what you're looking for ??

Pv

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭tomtucker81

The rail options are very limited for this rifle, as in 1 option! There's no moa on the rail.

That's why I reckon I have to play with the mounts, as in 1 higher than the other. Thanks though

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I'd go with Clive's option, but don't mix rings of different heights as the difference in height is such that it will cause a crimp in the scope tube as the rings sits flush/level with the action but the scope will be angled.

Failing that get shimming brass. Each piece can be as thin as 0.25 of a mil and will give upwards of 1.5 to 4 inches of variance (point of impact) at 100 yards. The problem with shimming brass is you need liner screws to go through the bases, if using them, and if it's under the scope ring the ring may not attach if too many shims are used.

Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭JP22

Mounts with inserts the way to go.

If using shims, make them out of aluminium foil, not the light kitchen stuff, but something like a chicken/turkey foil tray,

Softer than pop cans, easy to cut/mould and should not damage rings.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭tomtucker81

That's probably going to be the option.

I hadn't reckoned on the possibility of crimping the tube, obviously a non runner!

Those rings will do what I want, my calculations say I'll be able to dial in and have spare room with them.

Happy to use them, reset and go back to zeroing.

Thanks lads.

• Advertisement
Advertisement