Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ashes 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

I did not expect two early wickets. Annoyingly they will now be used to justify the early declaration even though they’re largely unconnected.

And I swear to Christ, if this Bazball chatter - ‘they’re just out there to have fun, entertain the fans’ - doesn’t settle down I don’t know how much more English cricket I can watch.

Post edited by iffandonlyif on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭MFPM

Good start for England, they've got lucky with the conditions this morning, poor by Labuschagne.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭Xander10

The lad from Barbados, Jofra, was very fast but has been plagued by injuries

• Registered Users Posts: 24,841 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Two pretty bad shots by the Aussie batsmen. Looked nervy and reaching for it….they’ll be hoping that’s not going to set the tone for the innings…. England will be satisfied, no they won’t they’ll be thrilled, Stokes gets Smith lbw…. 😳

• Registered Users Posts: 10,445 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Aussies in a spot of bother it seems, bit of graft required now to build innings. Looks like weather could determine this test though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Australia are too preoccupied with batting time, to show the conservative approach is better they’ve got themselves in a right mess. It’s not even their natural way of playing.

Looking at the hourly forecast on the BBC site, we are slated to loose close to a day and a half’s play

might lose the entirety of tomorrow afternoon… should get a full days play on Monday but Tuesday, showery spells in the AM but the afternoon looks to be a complete right off… hopefully the forecast improves.

Weather aside, Aussies can’t lose more then one wicket in the next session.

Seeing the replay of Smiths wicket, I wouldn’t be surprised to see him called for dissent due to his reaction to the umpires decision. It really wasn’t on. I’d be a firm advocate of law 42 being invoked responsibly… of course in 2023 it won’t be.

I’m usually all for resurrecting the ‘spirit of the game’ but I don’t see he did much wrong. He just scrunched his face and lifted his hand in protest, didn’t he?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

Is it just me or is Eoin Morgan an absolute pain to listen to on commentary.

• Advertisement

Yep, in protest, which is dissent. It was the correct call by the umpire either way.

Bairstow makes a meal of a straightforward stumping opportunity. Don’t know how but he did.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

If you think he's bad be happy that Danny Morrison isn't commentating, the most annoying man in history, a trundler who couldn't bat, and just keeps rabbiting on, the Australian home commentary team is pretty annoying too, think they are funny laughing at their own jokes

Great ball from Moeen, Aussies not providing much support for Khawaja, Warner shouldn't be in this team, 220/5

I take your point, and it’s probably going to start annoying me the more I see it. But I feel it was just an instinctive expression of displeasure at himself. I’m glad they don’t all do it, though.

If the Aussies can get to stumps say only 1 more wicket down and around 50 in arrears they’ll be delighted…. 67/3 things were challenging for them…

be interesting to see the English front lin bowlers try make something happen with the new ball so late in the day.

Khawaja bowled off a no ball 266/5

Really poor selection of replays shown by Sky of that Broad/Khawaja ‘wicket’… if any part of the foot is behind the line, either grounded or raised at the point of delivery, it’s a fair delivery… if the third umpire has the angle to conclusively decide, why can’t the TV viewers see ?

odd.

Khawaja deserved that bit of luck on the no ball he's been immense today, the fact it came off Broad makes it even sweeter 🙂

England could be batting again if Bairstow took those two chances and Broad didn’t overstep. Can’t afford them on flat pitches.

Warner's continuing presence is a mystery to me, are the Aussies that short of alternatives, he hasn't merited a test place for a couple of years IMO?

• Advertisement

Lead under 100 now, this is a good partnership between Khawaja and Carey.

Khawaja excellent - tough to bat through a full day with wickets falling just at moment when a partnership might really get going. Puts the pressure back on him each time to steady things. Great opening batsman performance.

Warner? Did he not get 40+ recently as opener? If he can get a half decent score in any second innings here, be worth the place surely?

Where's this match going though? Assuming Aussies manage tomorrow morning, could well have a lead of 100. But suggested above that a day+ likely to be lost, so guess a draw is most likely. Unless the wicket/ weather turns devious and wickets tumble.

1 hundred in 32 innings, and announces his retirement at home next winter, bit of a narcissistic approach, I suppose the problem is Renshaw and Marcus Harris have 1 between them in 28 tests, though renshaw bats time well and has scored heavily for Australia A recently

Carey out for a very well made 66, Australia 338/6

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Dave0301

Not sure Ali will last the Ashes.

Which BBC website/ page is this? I looked in BBC radio and at Radio5 but can't see that option?

I see Khawaja is gone now, very patient innings from him but I guess they needed to get back in gear a bit as runs were drying up.

Go on to the BBC website and click the link, it directed me to youtube, and the TMS commentary is on that, so if it doesn't redirect from that site, maybe do a YouTube search

Some long tail for the Aussies, 9, 10 , 11 all genuine rabbits, 378/9

Thanks - found it after a while. So even stevens more or less.

• Advertisement

Australia made a hames of that. Very uninspiring so far Khawaja, Head and Carey aside. They will need a rethink.

England must be in disbelief they cleaned up the tail so quickly. Not what they usually do.

Advertisement