Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ashes 2023

Options
  • 12-06-2023 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭

England vs Australia

First Test - Edgbaston - June 16th-20th

Second Test - Lords - June 28th-July 2nd

Third Test - Headingly - July 6th-10th

Fourth Test - Old Trafford - July 19th-23rd

Fifth Test - The Oval - July 27th-31st

England squad: Stokes (captain), Ali, Anderson, Bairstow (wk), Broad, Brook, Crawley, Duckett, Lawrence, Pope, Potts, Robinson, Root, Tongue, Woakes, Wood

Australia squad: Cummins (captain), Boland, Carey (wk), Green, Harris, Hazlewood, Head, Inglis (wk), Khawaja, Labuschagne, Lyon, Marsh, Murphy, Renshaw, Smith, Starc, Warner

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,249 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Aussies looking really strong in both batting and bowling departments at the moment. Depth and resilience. Wouldn't be too surprised to see them whitewash England. This Bazball thing might well come crashing down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭VillaMad

Indeed. Australia look even stronger than the last ashes which was a routine win for them. England's new approach has been a revelation but this a huge step up in class.

Their Bazball approach has been to get bowlers off their lengths and for the opposing captain to lose his head as the score spirals away in the distance, but I'd love to see how they can hit Boland out of the attack as he hits the same length time and time again.

On the opposite side, that Australian batting line-up just has big scores written all over it. Going back to the last Ashes in England, the big storyline was Archer coming us against them and now with him gone and Anderson and Broad another 4 years older, it looks a good deal less threatening than then. Bringing in Ali might make sense in the short-term but he has struggled previously against the Aussies and hasn't played a first class game in almost 2 years. Then Stokes looks like he has big problems with his knee and I'm not sure whether he will bowl at all, which means England have to change the nature of the side. Then you bring in the issues around the fitness of Anderson, Wood and Robinson.

Australia are big favourites for me due to their settled side. All they are questioning is whether to bring in Hazlewood or not which isn't an issue at all. England have to start quick in this series or Australia could get away from them. One way or another, it should be entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭dohboy

I fancy England. I'd be scpetical enough about the Aussie batting line-up, outside of Smith and Labuschagne, in England at any rate. I expect they will target Moeen though, and that could be a big problem for England. I'm fully expecting it to be a wildly entertaining series and am suitably hyped.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭selwyn froggitt

I've tickets for day 2 at Old Trafford, hope the series is still alive when I get there.

I went to two days in Cardiff back in 2013. Great occasion but I couldn't hack the Barmy Army much more. Went to three days of the Headingly test against New Zealand last year and it was much more palatable while equally as raucous. They go much easier on the New Zealanders than the Aussies.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Gillespy

I know there are people out there hoping Bazball finally gets exposed but I’m not one of them. Always have to give Australia a chance but it’s basically the same side that only drew four years ago and they’re coming up against a settled confident team playing unbelievable cricket this time.

England last time were a shambles with Roy opening, Denly no 3 and Anderson out after only bowling four overs. Root and a prayer basically. Cameron Green is a significant addition and Carey over Tim Paine improves them a lot as well. Should be a fantastic series

First morning of the Ashes.

Hazlewood and Boland are marking out their run-ups which looks like that means they are leaving Starc out. I can understand that as although Starc can take wickets on the flattest pitches, he can be expensive. Hazlewood hasn't bowled a whole lot this year, but then England have the same issue on their side.

Looks a bat first pitch although Stokes like his England side to chase in the fourth innings.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Lionel Fusco

England win the toss and bat first God I love the Ashes here's hoping for an Australian whitewash victory🤞

• Registered Users Posts: 3,046 ✭✭✭MFPM

Nice toss to win for England, big chance for their openers to get some confidence early on and Crawley needs runs.

Big call to leave Starc out given Hazelwood hasn't played much. Big calls for England too, not convinced going back to Mooen is right but perhaps they had no choice.

Australia should win - better balanced team but it could be a really good series.

• Advertisement

First blood to Australia Duckett goes for 12. 'Aggers' and ' Tuffers' losing the run of themselves after three England boundaries! 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Very good start by England. Runs and little damage but more importantly they’re exerting themselves and their philosophy. Scoring quickly off all the bowlers with relative ease.

Australia already regretting leaving out Starc I'd say. They're too defensive though nothing in the pitch for the bowlers - even Stokes wasn't tempted to put the opposition in as he normally does..

Poor bowling by Australia, Crawley under no real pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Has anyone got any help hw to listen to BBC 5live or 4LW for the audio commentary?

I have a premium sub for VPNunlimited but it's buffering this year, all other years were perfect. Damn BBC and their geoblocking 😣

There's a 'listen to TMS overseas' link on BBC website- top of the live reporting page that works in Ireland

Pope gone, Australia needed that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭cosatron

Kevin Peterson is insufferable on commentary.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Pitch looks super batsman friendly.

the one wicket fell courtesy of of a bad shot. As I type, so does the second. No idea why Pope played that shot. Maybe thought it pitched outside leg which I initially thought myself but he’s gone…

looks like if England keep up this positivity they’ll have about 130 on the board by lunch.

going along at just a shade under 5 per over.

Might turn on TMS while Captain Turncoat is on Sky 🤮

• Advertisement

Crawley gone now losing 3 wickets on that pitch is pretty poor tbh

Crawley gets a jaffa from Boland and gloves it to the keeper. Umpires not had the greatest of mornings somehow didn't give it out on the field.

So for all England's quick scoring and Australia's defensive fields, it hard not to argue that it hasn't been Australia's morning since that pitch is quite flat apart from maybe 2 or 3 deliveries. It looks to me to be a 450-500+ pitch and the Australian bowlers are so good that they always find a way to get a wicket.

Absolutely disgraceful umpiring for the third wicket it was clear as day and even the second one was pretty obviously out as well.

True, it’s a featherbed. 124 runs, scoring is easy, but to ship 3 wickets and in the manner they were lost, on that pitch.

Crawley wicket was weird I’d have put money on him scoring a ton. He looked unstoppable… don’t know if he lost focus but what did he have to gain playing at that delivery ? Just hung the bat out there and it must have been about 8 inches away from finding the middle of his bat…

Important wicket that for Australia, Brooke was playing more aggressive and trying to push the rate on.

Brook gets away with being dropped but that obviously used up all his good luck considering the farcical way he got out off the hip up in the air and down onto the stumps!

And another one, Stokes gone and a wasted review!

Big hour this.

england need to get 320/330 on the board

• Registered Users Posts: 10,689 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

So much a Stokes battle as per Sky

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Thanks for that. I thought I used that in the last but didn’t have it bookmarked. I do now

Advertisement