Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U17 and U20 Hurling Inter County 2023

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Jock_Ewing

Very true. Good post. Congrats and enjoy.

I really only have issue with the penalty challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Leahy is some tidy player - very accurate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Seadin

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭hurlaway

• Advertisement

Felt Dowling was good on the Sunday Game. Tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

It's very strange that there are different rules between senior and u20 around the black card. It also makes it quite confusing.

Quite a lot of head high tackles have not been punished this year, including also the senior (Seamus Flanagan, Maher and so on), but the one yesterday was one of the most obvious. The fact that it happened in the square, right under the noses of the umpire, made it even more frustrating.

Offaly were also a bit unlucky with the red card in the Joe McDonagh final last weekend.

Cork were clearly the better team but the referee had a bit of a nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭flatty

Talking about black cards is completely beside the point. That referee should be assessed and educated. He basically allowed all out thuggish attack on a talented young man trying to play the game. It wasn't borderline. It was psychopathic. The GAA needs to come out and say that for head contact, retrospective action can be taken. A season long ban really needs to be handed out simply to draw a line under it. If a couple of those cork defenders were my young lads, I'd be having a very strong word with them. It smears their team and their victory. They'd have won most likely playing fairly.

Post edited by flatty on

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭supernova5

I'm licking my lips at the prospect of that one already

the gunner held the up till then unstoppable Aaron Niland to one point from play yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭toxicity234

Frist of all.

Congrats to cork.

Well done to the Offaly Lads and a Management.

Lenister Medals are hard to come by and it's been a great year.

cork have shot themselves in the foot here. Kingston is a marked man when he get to Senior.

The cynical approach cork took will follow them mentally for 6 or 7 years and cost them dearly.

The tackle on Egan isn't a red card but what Maher did last week is?

B*llsh*t.

It only a matter of time before a player brings a huge claim against the GAA for fail to protect them on the field.

Offaly Fans are getting more and more frustrated with Referees.

Referees appear to think that Offaly lads having their head attached is optional and Red Card are only for Offaly players.

Hopefully, the issues we having with Referees, Will change when the GAA money men, Wake up to the fact that Offaly is a cash Cow, waiting to be tapped.

Congrats to Clare on Sunday,

By far the best team on Show. Huge talent coming in the Banner.

• Advertisement

Think he got two from play - off his left - which people didn't think he had.

But Gunning was outstanding. Serious player. Great interview after too.

Galway and Niland fell in love with getting goals through the comp - and just went for goals too much with little reward.

Clare were much more of a team than Galway.

Offaly got shafted in the first half of the Joe McDonagh, was a forward going through [forget his name] and was blatantly tripped with the hurley of a Carlow player, no free in given Carlow go straight up field score a point

the red card situation, Maher did have contact with Boland's helmet but if you watch it closely Boland makes a total meal of it and actually throws himself forward. not only was it not a red card but not a penalty either

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭riddles

The core of the issue is that referees want to build profiles and they have no problem applying the rules rigidly against the lesser teams but as Offaly have found on the bigger stage you are not getting a fair application of the rules.

Chris Mooney allowed Cork to repeatedly engage in cynical fouling so surprise surprise they continued to engage in cynical fouling. It’s a shame but he doesn’t want a power broker like the Cork county board saying the referee call spoled the game. So what if Offaly come out on the losing side.

The number 2 for Cork had about 8 fouls a couple chops thrown in I’m not sure he even got carded.

No one likes to lose but at least when the things officiated fairly it’s not a problem. If what the Offaly player did in the Joe McDonagh final or in the U20 Leinster final happened Sunday not a chance a Cork player was seeing red and that is the crux of the problem.

foot trips, shoulder charges to the head, chops and rugby tackles either un carded or given a lower sanction. Does Mooney the referee Sunday get a review on that performance or how does that work just onto the next game nothing to see here?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

That isnt about refs trying to build profiles. thats putting the blame on the refs when it isnt there fault. its the GAA and central organisers who are at fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭lukin

Look in fairness we blackguarded Offaly a bit, I admit that. But it's not just Cork that are getting away with shoulders to the head, other counties are doing it too. I was watching a minor or U-21 game recently on TG4, Kilkenny v Galway I think and the very same thing happened; a shoulder to the head that laid out the player. Ref gave a yellow card. Until referees are instructed to give a red for this type of challenge (like was done with pulling of the face-guard) then these types of challenges will continue to occur.

When the ref was reaching for the card on Sunday after Kingston did it I was s####ing myself because I was thinking it could be red. I wouldn't have been surprised if it was.

But there was only ten minutes gone so I suppose that is why he didn't. Too early in the game.

Richie Hogan did it in the AI final and was given a straight red I recall. Kilkenny supporters were apoplectic with rage. I bet the same same supporters were calling for a red when Kingston did it on Sunday.

Ben O'Connor only got a second yellow rather than a straight red for this against Limerick:

Ben O' Connor Sending Off - Limerick v Cork - 2023 Hurling Championship U20 - YouTube

If you look at what Flanagan, Hegarty, Lynch, Donoghue etc, have been doing the last few years and getting away with then it only follows that players watching that will also try to get away it. Whether its underage or senior players, they'll copy what works. It's the nature of the beast.

Clare brought a physicality never seen in the 90s. Teams responded. Tyrone brought a physicality teams hadn't seen before. Teams responded.

I know for a fact that both Tipp and Cork have project players - huge men - whose hurling is being worked on, to get them up to the level for the next few years, to engage in similar activities. Teams feel they're being out muscled so they're going to respond.

You're right, this needs to be dealt with or things are going to get crazy. More than likely, things are going to crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Fair play to Lowry he is giving something back to his county and trying to help and improve their lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Agree what your saying about ref being evaluated after the game and sent for retraining, the umpire on the left side of the goal seen the elbow to the head from 10/12 yards and seem to do nothing, the umpires for these games should be young refs from different counties not the refs family and mates on the day out. The only way the gaa will wake up when someone is seriously injured or death.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

A ref doesnt need to be sent anywhere for retraining, they just drop to a lower level and learn from the mistake. all refs regardless of if they only ref u12 games or if theyre reffing senior club should be attending monthly meetings to discuss rules of the game, and how to improve as officials with meeting led by a ref officer who is a full time employee of the county board or provincial council.

i totally agree about umpires. they should have to be qualified officials.

Advertisement