Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do people look at single people weird?

Options
  • 03-06-2023 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

I have been single for a while now. I started a part time course before covid and along with full time job, it was hard to juggle everything, I barely had time for myself, woni didn't want to waste time on a relationship.

Covid hit and that was a disaster for meeting people and I was scared of catching covid as well, so I put off dating during 2020 and 2021.

My landlord gave me notice at the end of 2021 and after years of house sharing, I moved out on my own at the beginning of 2022 and I am loving my free time on my own. Come home without housemates and I can do anything in the evening. I enjoy my time on my own too much, that I didn't want to be seeing anyone for 2022 either.

Thing is whenever my dad rings me, he always asks me have I any boyfriend and I am getting sick of him asking me.

There was a bitching session in work about someone in their 50s who's single. I said there was nothing wrong with being single and next thing they said, but she lives with her parents. With the housing crisis, I wouldn't think that's weird either. But the bitching session started about how she was single.

I'm middled aged myself and wondering do people see me as odd for not having someone. I'd rather be single than be in a relationship for the sake of it.

Now, being single does not bother me sometime but then I really do like my free time on my own as well.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Mod - Moved to TLL as it is a general discussion thread rather than a PI.

Local charter now applies.

Hilda

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Simple answer is no. If people ask you why, they have issue. Not your problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,959 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

No way is anything there weird. Some long term relationships work, some don't and some endure. Single people tend to have way better social life's - they usually have more time / money and can fine tune selections and heck dabble on tinder.

It's also lovely having kids or a long term relationship with someone who admire.

People need to live and let live.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭heretothere

Def not! My mam is in her early 50s and single so is my aunt. I don't ever see them bothering to date ever again, they are settled in their lives. Majority of my friends early 30s are single. I actually feel they are the ones that have well not judged me for getting married/ having a baby. But have moved their lives away from mind due to differences.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭patmahe

Nope, we live in a much more diverse world now where people can choose to live in all sorts of ways. Once upon a time if you didn't marry and have 2.4 kids immediately you were considered unusual. These days nobody bats and eyelid and those that do are usually jealous, curious, nosey or backward or a combination of some/all of these things. You do what's right for you :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭bejeezus

I’m not sure I agree fully with the posts above. Some elderly people -and even younger ones -see being single as being in a desperate situation altogether. But I'm not one of those people for sure ! I agree that we should live and let live as far as being single goes and that living a single life can be really liberating. But I do acknowledge the oft very vocal minority that are just a bit too judgmental.

Post edited by bejeezus on

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Tavrin Callas

Not everybody, but yes, there are a sizable number who would look at someone odd for being single, especially long-term single. Obviously there's nothing wrong with being single, but that doesn't stop some people thinking there must be something wrong with you if you're not hooked up for a while.

Advertisement