Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Attempting to reduce magazine capacity allowances

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭dalalada

My question had nothing to do with a person plugging or having the legal limit in the magazine. I am pretty sure everyone who values their licences has that done.

If asked on future FCA forms what the mag capacity of your pistol mag is, is it 5 or 10? Saying 5 would be a lie as i don’t know any magazine that’s made to 5 there mostly 10. Unless a plugged mag is considered a new mag according to that SI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,603 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Apparently the form is being updated. I would literally just write on the form at this stage.

For an unrestricted pistol the capacity needs to be 5 or less. Whether that’s original or modified capacity is irrelevant.

Having a pistol mag with capacity of 10 is a breach of the license* so definitely don’t put that down.

*Unless it’s a restricted license obviously.

Sums that up. Thanks for answering.

Can see how people will over look how important this will be for them in future. Dropping your our magazine capacity down without releasing and then your ammo being reduced by the PTB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,603 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Can see how they have any cause to reduce ammo limits.

If I’m target shooting. I’ll be sending X rounds down range. Whether that’s via a 10 round mag or a 3 round mag is not going to drastically affect my total.

I could use a single shot sled and I’d still send the same number of rounds.

This is what we’re dealing with. Throw in moderator refusals and you got a party

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭lefthooker

I put in a sub at the start of May. A newer variant of the rifle I had, so same make model and calibre, just a different serial number.

There was no contact from the gardai during the processing but in their wisdom they decided my magazine fed rifle should now be single shot. 🤦‍♂️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

A swift phone call to them is required methinks.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I applied for a pistol in May. Received licence with no reduction in round allowances.

Applied for and received 1000.

Edit. Just realised I’ve posted about ammo in possession rather than mag capacity. Apologies.

Post edited by Gumbo on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,075 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Got my Glock renewed recently.

Had a mag capacity of 18 down.[So they counted for a loaded chamber]. However, got on to the chief's office about it to inform them that the default for a restricted CF handgun is 20, because, legislation both Irish& EU and to put on notice that some of my mags have a plus 3 conversion to bring them up to mag capacity of 20 max and [b] I don't carry on a loaded chamber.

The best thing we can all do is if you have a detachable mag-loaded rifle, CF or rim is set this question to a default answer of 10.

Update.27/6.

Got a letter from them today to state they will reissue the liscense in due course.

Post edited by Grizzly 45 on

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement

Straight to the chief's office, as my FO is on leave. Dealt with his very competent secretary and explained the situation.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 820 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

People should be mindful that the FO has ABSOLUTLY NO input in the granting/refusal of an application nor on any conditions attached. His/her only job is to make sure the application is filled out correctly and said details are input on PULSE system. In case of problems, asking a (usually) Garda to question the authority or decision of a senior officer (either 2 or 3 promoted grades) above him, is in itself questionable. Straight to the Super's or Chief Super's office (and if necessary, the District Court)and use the Firearm's Act as it is written.

The reason they keep getting away with making up their own rules, as they go along, is that they have brow beaten everyone into submission, in the don't rock the boat scenario. The longer you let them get away with it the more they will do it.

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

The only reason I went to the FO first is from experience in dealing with AGS. Any queries if it doesn't go thru their protocol and command structure is rejected.IOW everything must come from the bottom up,and if it isn't correct,it is kicked back to the local station to be corrected or queried. So IOW I needed my local lad to contact the CS office and "prime" them for a call from me to explain the situation, even while he was on vacation.[Sound man to do so]. Ringing the chief out of the blue would have the query kicked back to him to deal with when he came back.

Advertisement