Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxis not accepting card payment

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,035 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

They do on AN POST bank, or at least on the personal accounts. 50 cent on a counter lodgement; this is on top of your €6 a month fee. Perhaps it's different on their business account.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭the boss of me

More fool you.. You're paying a surcharge of €3 per job for the service. In 2019 there was no legal obligation on taxis to accept credit cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 toescouser

Taxi driving is finished, why pay €20+ for a fare that cost €2 on a leap card 24/7.

A very high percentage of taxi drivers are driving buses now after COVID. Why would taxi drivers work 60 hours a week to make the same income as a bus driver with no overheads, pension , gym & medical & security when there's a recession or something like COVID. The taxi business is finished with all the rules & regulations. Your constantly trying to keep your head above water. 20 years in it tells me I should of joined Dublin bus sooner.

Why drive a bus for €600 a week when you can make that in a couple of nights in a taxi ??

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Until you put an on demand bus route outside of every house and pub taxis will still be needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Kevrano

I'd rather pay €3 than be made to feel I'm inconveniencing the taxi driver for taking cards. But I wasn't aware that there was a change in the rules about taxis taking cards, so maybe I should change my ways 😜

• Registered Users Posts: 18,252 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

As a bust driver you get paid for 10 bank holidays and at least four weeks holiday pay. You have a sick pay scheme and are in a pension scheme.

You would need at least 1.5k in turnover to earn the equivalent of that . After that allow for holidays and bank holidays. Pay you tax and PRSI and you are probably back at the equivalent of 600/ week

Slava Ukrainii

I take your point although I would disagree with your figures. There's pros and cons to both jobs, so I suppose it depends on whether you value job security higher than your own independence. That's an individual decision.

Massive spike in complaints against taxi drivers with the card payments coming out as the number 1 issue

RTE news : Record number of complaints about taxi drivers in 2022

http://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2023/0709/1393615-taxi-driver-complaints/

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭halfpastneverr

I've only had one driver throw a tantrum (on a €35 fare for 15 min drive!) when I asked to pay by card. He eventually dug out the sumup machine and took the payment, but he wasn't happy about it. Can't wait til regular night buses reach my area!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭Yeah Right

Why would you do that?

The fares were increased at the same time as the legislation to force them to accept cards was brought in. They're already being paid to cover the merchant fee, including every time they take a cash fare and don't have to pay any merchant fees whatsoever.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/taxi-fare-prices-to-increase-12pc-as-card-payment-options-to-come-into-force-within-days/41936262.html

• Registered Users Posts: 24,957 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Hopefully the NTA keep these stings up nationwide.

the only way to ensure fair regulation is to ensure compliance via auditing, enforcing and actioning those found to be in non compliance.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,252 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Fastest way to lose more as well there to be a shortage of drivers. In most of the larger Urban areas (Dublin, Cork, Galway, Limerick) you can get full time jobs paying 40-50k/ year minimum. Factory work, HI and Pension included.

Trades people are giving up working in the construction area because the pay and conditions in factories are better

I never liked many taxi drivers I came across. However if you want then it has to be worth there while doing it.

I live outside Limerick. There is two lafs that do taxi work in the city. Men in there 60-70 bracket. Neither of them work Saturday beyond 8 pm. Neither of them work beyond 10pm any other time of the week. Neither are salt of the earth types either.

We have been without a barber in the village now for 4-6 weeks. Chipper closed last Christmas. Was supposed to reopen in June. It as good as August now. If it takes a bit of cash to keep these lads sweet and in businesses then I be giving it to them.

A card has not got wheels and an engine, can you cut your hair with it and it dose not make a quarter pounder and chips either

Post edited by Bass Reeves on

Slava Ukrainii

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Yes and yes, if revenue decide to audit them.

Of course even then, tips wouldn’t be included in the meter recorded fare. So they could get away with not correctly paying tax on the tips.

It is from more then 10 years ago:

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-20125160.html

Advertisement