Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxis not accepting card payment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭apache

They shouldn't. I've had drivers taking ages and aren't happy when I pay by card but tough. Recently I wasn't charged as he couldn't get the machine working. Again not my problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,443 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Ya it's a funny one - You can often audibly hear the moan/groan when you say you want to pay by card. And my God they'll take their time getting the machine thing out to take the payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭gaming_needs90

I find it great! I have had a few "free" fares already where I say all I have is card. This not accepting of card is especially bad at night time. I guess they have to learn the hard way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Xterminator

you do know they keep 100% of the cash fare but lose a % of the card fares to charges. Can understand if they have strong preference for anything but card.

you do occasionally need to out yourself in the other persons shoes, yeah?

That was taken into account with the last revision of fares to account exactly for that

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,971 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Would that % be tax like every honest person has to pay? That's a them problem, not a me problem if they want to avoid tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,046 ✭✭✭Vic_08

% taken by the card machine provider/app, fare otherwise not declared to revenue, default assumption they will keep the full €20 no matter what the actual fare is.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,731 ✭✭✭hynesie08

1.7%, that's less than 35c on a 20 euro fair.

If you're running that tight a margin, you're in the wrong business, probably the same lads who never have change handy, game could use less of them tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

As opposed to the 15% cut that Free Now takes AFAIK. And then of course there’s the risk of carrying cash.

It’s 2023.

(Not targeting that at you hynesie08, more so agreeing with you.)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,731 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Freenow is a necessary evil in Dublin, mainly for account work (not in the industry but several close friends are) and the reality is people aren't sticking the hands out as much anymore, 85% of 200 is better than 100% of 100.

But it's 2023, not having a sumup and a revolut account is utter stupidity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,957 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Maybe the Connacht tribune might like to inform their readership what the actual fine is !

another media source says the fine is 200 euros. Not exactly a huge deterrent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭sgthighway

Nearly sure the paper did say it was 200.

I wonder did they offer to pay the fine by card.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

“Freenow is a necessary evil in Dublin, mainly for account work (not in the industry but several close friends are) and the reality is people aren't sticking the hands out as much anymore, 85% of 200 is better than 100% of 100.”

Ive been saying this for years, this is a complete own goal by taxi drivers (not the only one, see deregulation).

Most people don’t carry cash anymore, many just use card for everything now. But for years taxi drivers resisted card machines, many people were forced to carry some cash as “taxi money” my friends would call it and we were all hated it.

And then along came Free now and the other apps and we all loved it, no having to worry if we have enough cash with us, the app takes care of all that. I know I and most of my friends would go out of our way to use the apps even when it would be just as convenient to wave down a taxi. Many of us have been conditioned not too wave down taxis, but use the app instead!

So instead of just losing 1.7% of a fare to SumUp, etc., they instead are losing 15% to free now, etc.

It really couldn’t be more dumb.

Of course there are other reasons to use the apps, ordering a taxi if you aren’t near a busy road with passing taxis, business accounts, certain level of safety. But honestly one of the biggest drivers of the early adoption of these apps was not having to pay by cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

FreeNow and pros and cons

I have an aversion to Free Now customers who order a taxi on the app and have it set as a cash fare ( presumably this is their way to avoid paying FreeNows €1 technology fee ) and then proceed to want to pay me by card.

I am already paying 15% to FreeNow to service your request so don't be an arse and expect me to stand your card fees as well

I have emailed free now and asked them if there is any way to either ensure that customers who say cash are actually cash or otherwise NOT to put cash calls through to me

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Late last year, I reported a driver for refusing to take me after rolling down the window and asking if I had cash. I filled out the online form and got a call from the NTA a couple of days later saying driver will be fined €200. It was very easy. Report it every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,546 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Thanks i never knew of this idea. I will be doing it in future.

Not in my taxi you won't. I accept a FreeNow cash call I now expect to be paid in cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,504 ✭✭✭micks_address

used to be a pain in the hole at dublin airport.. think they changed the rule that new taxi's from some year had to take card payments.. used to annoy me for business travel as i would be asked to always use my card for expenses but then id arrive home at 6am in the morning and no taxi would take a card.. thankfully seems much better these days.. was embarrassing really

• Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Afaik the position of the taxi regulator is you can expect whatever you want, but the choice of payment method is up to the passenger

• Advertisement

I do but I'm averse to paying 2 lots of commission on a fare. You book a taxi under a cash option I expect to be paid in cash.

The fare has been booked and taken under the description "cash" I expect cash and would contest it with the taxi regulator.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,340 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

They lose a % of card payments to the tax man as well…that’s the bit they don’t like 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭coolbeans

I'm pretty sure the regulator will say the customer can pay by whatever means they choose.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Xterminator

i dont think anyone (non taxi driver) suggested customers couldn't used a card. that's the sole reason free now has grown as it has in Ireland, because taxi drivers didn't embrace the customer needs sooner.

But it is fair for a taxi driver not to be overwhelmed with joy either - as per the comment Ya it's a funny one - You can often audibly hear the moan/groan when you say you want to pay by card. They have good reason too. The card charges comes directly out if their pocket. I dont feel guilty paying by card. But i can understand their POV.

The card charges comes directly out if their pocket. 

They were given a 1% increase in ALL fares to cover the charge

On 17 June last, the NTA Board approved the Small Public Service Vehicle (Cashless Payment Facility) Regulations in addition the increase of the National Maximum Taxi Fare by 12% weighted across popular journeys and the Premium and Standard Rates.

The revised fare includesa 1% increase for the costs associated with providing a Cashless Payment Facility. The cashless payment facility regulations make it mandatory for all taxis to have an in-taxi point of sale cashless payment terminal and for cashless payments to be accepted for taxi journeys when requested by customers.

As for what the driver wants customers to pay by, the driver has zero option as per the regulation. The customer chooses the payment method, end of. A customer can hop in and say cash, and at the end of the journey say cashless. Whether that is conveyed verbally or through an app it makes zero difference, if a customer chooses to pay cashless, then its the customers choice to do so

Now, as they are oft inclined to do, taxi drivers can holler and wail at the injustice of it all, but it makes not a jot of difference, any driver not complying is subject to 200 eur fines.

With any luck the fact that 20 drivers in Galway all got hit with said fines should be a shot across the bow and maybe drive higher compliance

I'm sure they would as long as the customer hasn't booked a taxi under the pretext of paying cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭ebbsy

I took a taxi to Ringsend the other day and the card machine could not get coverage. I popped into Spar and withdrew cash for him.

Not the first time it has happened to me however.

Lucky for him I was near a cash machine, what would the actual situation be if I was not ?

See my follow up post above. Its pretty clear, the taxi driver has zero say in how a customer pays and any attempt to dissuade from using cashless is open to fines of 200 eur

2 fines are actually related to this

• 200 eur fine for "Failure to carry a functioning cashless payment device"
    • 200 eur fine for "Failure to accept cashless payment"

The statute also states cashless can be used for any fare and does not distinguish in any way.

As I said, they can moan all they want, but they have little choice in the matter and they have already been compensated

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

"Lucky for him I was near a cash machine, what would the actual situation be if I was not ?"

Step 1 would be for the driver to get out of the taxi and try again, the metal of a car can block weak mobile signals.

Step 2, the driver could drive a little bit down the road and try again. Just moving a short distance can often get you a signal.

Step 3 if non of the above work, you get a free ride. It isn't on you if their equipment isn't working.

Advertisement