Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

• Registered Users Posts: 6,716 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Buut you think they should be doing something that they currently do not?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭dabbler2004

@suvigirl Do you have a breakdown of the millions in costs that you stated in your post that would have to be spent ensuring those with deportation orders are actually deported?

• Registered Users Posts: 85,503 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

How is someone with fake documents or no documents really identified, how can they be vetted, if none or fake documents they should be deported ASAP but to where, some proper strict policing at airport arrivals is needed

We had a Zimbabwean killer here claiming asylum with fake documents which made world wide headlines you'd think that would have changed up the process for IPAs coming here, make stricter but given the numbers coming no change if anything we have increased numbers

Ireland must be seen as an easy get in and stay

• Registered Users Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

I was looking at recent crime data from Frankfurt in Germany and I was thinking about how McEntee and the rest, claimed there was no link between immigration and crime. The data shows that in Frankfurt alone, foreign nationals are responsible for the overwhelming majority of the worst crimes committed.

Foreign nationals are responsible for:

• 64.1% of all rape cases, 100% of serious sexual assault cases, 64.4% of sexual harassment cases, 57.1% of cases involving abuse of minors and 62.5% of sexual blackmail cases.
    • 54% of murders were committed by foreigners and were responsible for 64.8% of cases involving manslaughter.
    • 65.5% of robberies, 75.6% of aggravated robberies, 93% of car thefts, 87.5% of handbag thefts, 93% of pickpocketing cases, 87.5% of violent burglaries, 80% of daytime burglaries, and 72.9% of street thefts.
    • 75% of money counterfeiting crimes.
    • 83.3% of human trafficking cases and forced prostitution cases.

Frankfurt has a higher proportion of foreign nationals compared to the rest of Germany and as a result, this is what immigration brings. It's not the only state experiencing this level of crime. The Interior Minister of Bavaria Joachim Herrmann has said himself that foreigners are responsible for a vastly higher share of crime compared to their share of the population. “The crime statistics make it clear that uncontrolled immigration also has a negative impact on the security situation.

Same with North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany’s most populous state, crime increased by 13.7% compared to 2022, and in the, non-Germans were vastly overrepresented, making up 14.2% of the NRW population. They are responsible for 48.1% of rape cases, 32.1% of all attempted murders and murders, and are responsible for 41.9% of manslaughter.

Keep in mind foreigners who have managed to gain German citizenship, along with second-generation immigrants who have German citizenship, are simply listed as “Germans” in the crime statistics, so there is no way of knowing what percentage of crimes ethnic Germans are responsible for. Those figures are mental.

• Advertisement

You said there would be thousands of millions.

So, up to you to post those figures.

How is any UK or EU citizen living here vetted??

AAny chance of an actual link to actual real statistics.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,161 ✭✭✭prunudo

They show a passport when they enter the country, they have documentation that allows them to work, they have driving licences, bank details and previous addresses, all which can be checked by law enforcement and immigration.

But you know all that already.

I know when I travel outside of Ireland, I take my documents with me and as I worked with EU students coming here, they had police clearances from their home country or obtained while here in Ireland in regard to vetting which required real ID

I'm sure it would be much easier to chase up someone from the EU and UK's real ID than someone from outside EU, I could be wrong, but imho everyone coming into Ireland should present real ID on arrival no matter how they travel here or from where

• Advertisement

And how many EU and UK citizens live in Ireland?

Where do they live?

Where or when are they now?

Why do you and others on the side of open border immigration think you're so clever about tripping people up over the word vetting? Do you give eachother high fives because you think you've debunked something?

At least when people come in, with documentation and through legal channels there are ways to double check and cross reference who they say they are. When someone arrives with no documentation, you're completely in the dark. But go on, contuine with the smugness because you showed a randomer on the internet people from the UK or Eu aren't vetted (at least not in the technical sense).

This plus asking or checking for police clearance is vetting isn't it @suvigirl or what do you consider as vetting?

Just one example of fake documentation used for a job in healthcare, we really need stricter investigating and enforcement

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/man-used-false-documents-to-work-as-child-psychologist-and-live-a-fake-life/a2096552549.html

Who is open borders?

I haven't seen anyone supporting open borders, can you link to any posts advocating open borders?

fair enough, clumsy phrase, couldn't think what other phrase to . Do you think, as our resourses are so stretched, should we be curtailing the numbers coming in and doing more to filter out the bogus claimants who are playing the system by claiming to have no documentation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Seems to be mixed messages on whether IPAs are included in the Census or not.

I dont know if anyone can clarify?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

The 246k does sound about right, if Asylum Seekers and Refugees are NOT included in the census.

But nobody here seems to know for sure if IPAs are included in the official national census.

If they are included, then there is a large disparity between what Eurostat are claiming and the numbers our offical census state.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,410 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

2nd highest GDP in the world 😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁

You are hilarious. The vast majority of people I know are living payslip to payslip. I know a minority who probably have a cushion of a several months pay who would do okay in the event of an emergency. There are certainly a few more comfortable than that, but they are definitely not at the level of 2nd richest people in the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭creeper1

As you see the English bitterly complain when they are in a minority in their capital city

"We were never asked."

The same answer applies here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

They don't tend to state their own position, much like politicians, they want wiggle room and much prefer to shoot down the people who are sincere enough to give their opinion and ideal scenario. Don't give them the impression that you're answerable to them either would be my advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭batman_oh

Sweden have benefitted in a huge way too. Like I've seen various clowns on reddit saying - all immigration is a positive. If you say anything against that you are a nazi right wing racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

Hilarious isn't it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_%28nominal%29_per_capita

As I said several times now. I'm well aware this is only paper wealth and doesn't actually reflect living standards here.

But I do think we are perceived elsewhere as a very wealthy country. I quite regularly meet and hear of people coming here to work thinking they'll be earning a huge salary, only to be shocked by the cost of living. I think quite a few turn around and leave but that isn't always easy if they've borrowed to come here, or left a job etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

I've often wondered how I got from being a working class trade union rep with Jewish heritage who campaigned for equal marriage and Repeal - to a "far right Nazi" - merely for wanting questions to be asked of people who arrive in our country, that our taxes pay for and who want us to fund them!

I must have taken an extra long nap and it snuck past me ….!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

"I've often wondered how I got from being a working class trade union rep with Jewish heritage who campaigned for equal marriage and Repeal - to a "far right Nazi" - merely for wanting questions to be asked of people who arrive in our country, that our taxes pay for and who want us to fund them!"

I must have taken an extra long nap and it snuck past me ….!!!

Concerned citizens who have the temerity to question anything to do with the problems resulting from excessive immigration are portrayed as far-right, facists and other disturbing labels at every opportunity. From what I have read, the same cohort who want endless immigration are also gung-ho for the new 'hate crime' bill. It would make one wonder.

Edit: added quote from vote4squirrels, quote didnt work earlier.

Post edited by mrslancaster on

I haven't seen anyone labelled far-right, racist etc for questioning immigration levels.

I have seen these terms used where people used derogatory terms for asylum seekers, made false generalizations, posted fake statistics, or talked about cultural or ethnic superiority. You know, racist and far-right stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

The absolutism on display is a big part of why there has been so little political discussion.

Anyone with an ounce of sense knows that efforts should be made to tackle the issue of people destroying their passports on flights and arriving without documentation. Also anyone with an ounce of sense knows that there are genuine refugees, fleeing conflict, including Ukrainians whose home towns were destroyed by Russian bombing.

When people won't acknowledge things that are really obvious politicians shied away from introducing commonsense policies and retreated to irrelevancies about Irish history.

What might seem obvious to you, I'd argue isn't so straightforward.

What's the value in locking people up who arrive without documentation, when they can just as easily arrive across the border without it anyway? And they can still claim asylum.

How much did is it going to have costed to lock those people up, not to mention the wastage of limited AGS and prison service resources? And then lengthy appeals as it might contravene Geneva?

I think what gets missed in the conversation around the asylum process is that regardless of whether an applicant meets the criteria of refugee status, it serves a function to document people who arrive here and ensure that they can work legally, pay taxes, kids can go to school etc.

I think the alternative of people working illegally, or depending on crime, and kids growing up undocumented, is far worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

We get it, you don't think there's any benefit or indeed reason for mitigation.

I presume you're not in favour of speed cameras or breathalyser checkpoints either.

Otherwise you'd be a hypocrite right?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement