Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,600 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

That poster knows why they were threadbanned and it wasn't for a difference of opinion with me (though I don't expect you to know this)

Now lets move on please - back on topic

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

Yes Ireland decided in 2002 not to take part and yes regulations from 2018 stipulate we don’t take part as we are not in Schengen area, however landscape has changed and SIS has evolved farther than Schengen, and EU are regulating for SIS to be used for more secure internal border security EU wide.

We have opted out of a beneficial security system for IPA checks that other EU member states are utilising.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

‘Ireland isn’t full because more people lived here pre-Famine’.

Anyone who employs that logic certainly shouldn’t be in politics. Ridiculous, farcically stupid nonsense.

It is possible to make an argument that Ireland isn’t full but anyone who advances the above argument as proof the country is not full is guilty of dangerous intellectual laziness. At best.

Again, politicians can’t expect to be trusted or even taken seriously if its members come up with utter sh1t like that.

The public have decided that immigration is a very serious issue, yet our politicians are talking about it with less sense than you’d get from a child in sixth class.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Workhorse2024

I just wish the people that are all about the refugees and defending them to the last and those in favor of bringing more were held accountable.

If you are Pro asylum and pro refugees ect and you have a big house free rooms you are signed up to put refugees in your own home, its time these people are made put there money where there mouth is, you want them here you think we should take em so you ve a free space you have to house your share what ever capacity they are capable of.

Bet ya the bleeding hearts wouldnt be long changing then when its not a far away problem on the Telly but sitting along side them in there sitting room.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Oh so modern living in this country is a product of the third world labour. And you advocate for this. Hold on so your describing people coming here oppressed and poverty stricken yet they built our modern world through what exactly. Through extensive education in their poverty stricken and oppressed origin. Or hard labour ffs. It's not 1880 America your in now. Which btw a lot of irish endured. Funnily enough these same people have a lot to to relate to our Irish ancestors. But theres a limit to good will from any peoples on this planet. (Which from a modern irish standard is great the day u arrive here compared to our historic ancestors in various shitholes round the historic world)The difference is you wont accept that. Would u agree?

Post edited by Mr. teddywinkles on

• Advertisement

The hilarious thing we already have a pefect case study for how uncontrolled immigration pans out... all we have to do is have a look at England, London in particular... perfect "harmony" a melting pot of cultures.... an utter **** show.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,847 ✭✭✭suvigirl

No we haven't. I have told you Gardai use SIS, and IPAs are checked on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

Congratulations to all the Irish Ivorians for Côte d'Ivoire's fine win at Afcon tonight.

Commiserations to our Irish Nigerian friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

Look at this from Germany. This is from the German Police Crime Statistics (PKS). Crime per 100,000 people. Algeria is just jaw dropping - 52,000 crimes per 100,000 in the country. Basically means 1 in 2 have committed some crime or another.

And compare with "Deutsche" all the way down there at 1,933 per 100,000. Algerians committing crimes at 25 times that of native Germans, and Albanians and Georgians at 14 times.

There's no getting away from the these figures. The people without concerns about our fraudulent asylum system are either ignorant of these stats, don't want to believe or just consider them distasteful.

And the argument that this is explained by most of the migrants being young men does not hold much water - after all its the young men we will be getting!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭cute geoge

So we know for sure if an asylum seekers is checked on SIS i they were already in another e.u. country and then thw law should be that they were put on the 1st plane back to that eu country

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,847 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Well not necessarily.

Dublin regulations state that if an asylum seeker claims asylum in more then one country, they can be sent back to the country they originally claimed in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

Do you have a source for that other than the twitter account named?

People have posted stats like that on here before that turned out to be fake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

• Registered Users Posts: 41,021 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Lol. Brexit didn't work in reducing immigration at all.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Oh man they are f!cked over there! complete turmoil, they dont want immigration but they have no choice. The average person hates how it is but they can do nothing. its a big big problem and Ireland would do well to heed the lessons they learned the hard way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

We have enough water eh? - We have constant adverts from IW telling us about a water shortage, Dublin and surrounding counties, in Jan/Feb because of *cough*..."economic growth"

Stats show an increase in the Dublin population of 50k in 2023 over 2022

The average person (or unit of economic growth) uses 133 ltrs of water per day

133 ltrs of water x 50k = 6,650,000 ltrs per day

From Met Eireann:

• The wettest year on record in Ireland was in 2009, with the record stretching back to 1941 (83 years). So far, 2023 has been Ireland’s second wettest January-October on record.

Can you do some of your mental gymnastics to figure that one out for me please and tell us where we might be in the warmer summer months

Govt (FG) can't even manage the basics needed for life and they want another 5 years!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,236 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

One problem with it is that the Germans are extremely meticulous in how they record crimes. Apparently, fare dodging is the No.1 crime committed by asylum seekers in Germany but this is listed as a 'criminal offence' in all these tables.

Having said that, I wouldn't be totally dismissive of the table - there does seem to be an issue with Algerian, Albanian and Georgian asylum seekers in Germany. I was reading elsewhere that these three cohorts are very rarely granted asylum in Germany, which might explain why they are more likely to turn to crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Honesty Policy

Frightening!

The irony that the Irish government have finally listed Algeria as a safe country. All their criminals have left to commit crimes here. Funny, not funny!

And a load of peoplearound here claiming Ireland leaving the EU is the answer to all their dreams 🤣🤣🤣

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 6,717 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

So, how do we handle unlimited numbers of refugees ? After a certain point they will be in the majority and are then free to change our constitution so that you may not enjoy the rights you currently enjoy.

How many is too many ?

Where is the Goldilocks zone here where everything is just right ?

3 smiley faces

Edit ...

Just getting tired of people with no answers laughing at others.

Edit 2

Also sick of people in Ireland laughing at brexit when we have an incredibly badly run country here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,737 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

It seems like every week or so you post that hospitals here are good.

You are a regular on this and other threads and have seen articles on the crisis in our hospitals.

You seen articles on kids not having school places and tell us the schools are grand.

People rightly correct you everytime you post your lie around hospitals which you ignore until you post it again.

It is clear for everyone that this is pure lies you are spreading.

What exactly motivates someone to do that I can't figure out.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭L.Ball

We have more than enough food, energy, water, medicines, natural resources, hospital places, school places, transport infrastructure

Are you insane?

Are you saying that leaving the EU is the answer to all problems here?

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

And where does that say anything about accusing anyone of wanting to kill refugees? Is the word 'unless' invisible there?

It's a pretty simple sentence. I said that unless people want to kill refugees, then everyone on both the Left and Right of the issue starts at the exact same place. I was trying to make the point that people actually tend to start off from the same basic level of compassion. I imagine that's not a point you disagree with, surely.

So yeah, keep trying to put words in my mouth to point score.

No, I didn't say modern living in this country is a product of third world labour. I said modern living in this country is a product of the international community co-operating in such a way that allows us to benefit from the resources and investment of other countries that drive our modern economy and society. That's everything from money from US direct investment, tropical ingredients that are crucial for our pharmaceutical industry, fuel from far away lands that powers our country and vehicles etc. And yes, there are poor people in poor countries who are part of these supply chains, just as there are rich wealthy people.

An utter **** show that tens of thousands of Irish people flock to for work, opportunity and tourism — right?

An enormous city like London is always going to have issues — including immigration issues — but Irish people seem to really love the place.

Well, the Irish aren't the problem there nowadays you mean. And Irish people tend to "blend" in because they tend to emigrate largely to anglophone countries like the UK, USA and Australia — or economic centres of other places where there are large international communities that are accepted without the need to fully "adapt" (places like Dubai and Doha, where the Irish aren't exactly walking around speaking the local language or reviving old Arab culture).

They also tend to come with the privilege of high levels of education and training that allow them to slot into jobs at higher levels and therefore have better purchasing power to live in nicer areas and so they don't tend to get portrayed as being part of ghettos. Of course, it wasn't always like that for Irish migrants back when they didn't have high education, training, purchasing power or in some cases even good English.

And yes, cut benefits and deport immediately. A marvellous idea. I'm not very smart so could you tell me whose co-operation and input we rely on to successfully deport people?

If you're asking me to implement a fully fleshed out functioning immigration on a boards.ie post you're being abit naive and won't be getting the "gotcha moment" moment you think you will.

If you believe you're not that smart you are certainly in the clearest position to make that call so I won't argue with your own assessment.

As for the remainder of your post sure you seem to be comparing apples to oranges sure we go over with money and education, what we also don't go over with is an ideology and a will to change the local culture to align with our own. We don't go to countries with 0 intention of working rather assess the country on the benefits can be claimed and how to make it impossible to deport you "tiktok videos on how to get benefits and avoid deportation"

There are very real issues in the UK around immigration and the type of immigrants whether you chose to acknowledge it or not the fact remains people want it to change and they want immigration to stop for a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,717 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

No. The numbers of refugees and migrants moving due to climate change problems alone, which are just going to get worse, are not going to be solved by the EU or Ireland.

Really Ireland needs to be building cities to accommodate what's coming. But we can barely put up a bus shelter. And when we do, we smash them up.

• Advertisement

Did I ask you to form a fully fleshed out immigration policy? I asked you a question about deportation. An issue that often proves a challenge with successful deportations is actually getting a country to accept the deportees, without which it is realistically pretty hard and very costly to do it. So I guess my question for those who say that the relatively low level of successful deportations is simply a product of weak-kneed left wokeism is what they would do differently.

Also, most migrants don't come here with a "will to change the local culture". Do you think they all sit around with their minds entirely bent on the thought of changing our culture? No. The vast majority of people come here for the same reasons the vast mahority of Irish emigrants go elsewhere — to have a better life and find some new opportunity for themselves.

If change of culture is the problem — then ask yourself what actually are the most dynamic forces for cultural change in this country and elsewhere in the developed world. The answer of course is social media and technology — and both British and American culture have been far more influential in dictating the changes of Irish culture than migrants have. But people still prefer to blame migrants for it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement