Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you get Shimano Ultegra r8000 groupset anymore

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,609 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Personally wouldn’t buy anything branded from AliExpress, almost guaranteed to be knock off or dodgy.

Slane Cycles in Belfast show it in stock on their website might be worth giving them a bell

https://www.slanecycles.com/shimano-ultegra-r8000-11-speed-groupset-p-28792.html

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,537 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

maybe just ring some shops? it's possible they could get it in if they get a specific request?

a few years back, humphries were able to get me 6800 after R8000 came out. derek runs a distribution company as well as the shop, so might have channels for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Cheapest way might be to buy a whole bike. You'd see full bikes with R8000 on for not a whole lot more than the groupset at RRP.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭gn3dr

That's how I'm currently thinking alright. It becomes another N+1 though. I know I could promise myself I'd sell the frame after but would probably never happen..😂

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,537 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you're specifically looking for R8000? i.e. mechanical shifting, rim brake?

• Advertisement

and one thing i'll say - R8000 isn't a patch on 7800, aesthetically.

Yes rim brake and mechanical for me. I agree 7800 is the best looking but if I want STi's without gear cables out the side then unless I find 7900 or 6700 shifters, the switch to 11 speed STi's means new derailleurs required due to different pull ratios.

I'd probably keep the 7800 crankset though as that is peak design in my opinion, plus it's not glued like the later ones with their risk of failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Plastik

Out of curiosity, I rang Humphries. Derek says yes, it's still available and he *thinks* it's €1100.

Thanks. Fat Bloke correct so wrt total bike price

• Advertisement

it was ~€800 when it came out about 6 years ago - so with the inflation since, i'd have expected €1k or thereabouts anyway

half decent wheel set plus the frame, you’d probably get 400 no bother for the two and then the group set would cost you less than 500

Before the madness we got it supplied and fitted for 850.

It's around ages now though and was put on virtually everything across a huge range of price points, I'd definitely be picking up a lightly used one. You couldn't pay 1100 quid for it, you'd be mad. That's dura ace money.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,217 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Not certain if they deliver to Ireland, but a place called Delta Bikes in the Netherlands has it for 725 and it is in stock

dura ace money?

mycycle.ie have R8000 listed at 1k. the cheapest dura ace option (rim brake, but Di2) is €3.5k...

New 12 speed di2 dura ace? Vs 6 year old ultegra 11 speed? Ah here.

My finger hovered over dura ace 9100 for 1100 quid not too long ago and recently it was widely available for 1500. Sub 2k on DD will get you full DA 9100 on a nice frame and wheelset.

Up to yourself but R8000 is not worth 1100 quid of my money. Good 'n all as it is.

oh, i'm not saying either way whether R8000 is worth €1100 quid. it was more whether you could get dura ace for anything comparable. from what you're saying the price premium for Di2 on dura ace is 2k+?

I'm not saying anything about di2. What's that got to do with the conversation? That's a whole other product and completely different price point at every level. The only comparison of any merit for ultegra mechanical r8000 is its mechanical DA 9100 equivalent. Be that new or used and preferably used.

Prices have gone stupid really. That Planet X I had on my watch list - call me fussy but the heel rub on the cranks turned me off. Might be worth a look though.

I was also talking to a guy about another TCR advanced for €1K with r8000

But that link to the shop in NL posted by Can'tGetNoSleep is interesting. I've emailed them about international shipments.

Post edited by gn3dr on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

It's a tough conversation when people are still thinking about prices from yesteryear. I think your right and best to consider current prices.

Technology has moved on and sadly rim brakes are old technology so rim brake groupsets are just going to become rearer and more expensive. No point thinking of how much they used to cost.

For what it's worth I'm in the same boat and considering buying 1 more rim brake groupset to keep me going another few years.

• Advertisement

the problem for a lot of places is that unless they're shifting a lot of stock, it's not worth it to them to hold on to a rim brake groupset. not at that price point, it's not a common upgrade anymore i'd say. and i don't know how the bike wholesalers operate, but i was once given a brief glimpse of how some of the large camera/imaging companies operate and they were severely punishing small outlets for ordering small volumes of stock.

Where's campag in this conversation, in terms of price and availability of mechanical rim braked groupsets?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭lazycyclist

Bike24 have a selection of Campag mechanical/rim braked groupsets. Cheapest is Centaur 11 speed (€630) https://www.bike24.com/p2243638.html then they have Chorus (c. €1,100), record (€1,700) and super record 12 speed (>€2.5k).

There’s also SRAM Force https://www.bike-components.de/en/SRAM/Force-22-2x11-39-53-BB30-Mechanical-Rim-Brake-Groupset-p50040/ but I wouldn’t go SRAM mechanical personally

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Alanbt

Centaur was about 550 on one of the other German retailers recently. One in decent condition on adverts too.

A a rim brake Luddite I picked up a spare groupset last year just to have when current gives up. Picked parts up piecemeal so might have to do that. 105 R7000 also a decent shout, was cheap on chain reaction not too long ago (still 420 now)

Jaysus I thought some parts of Ireland were backwards! Just to avoid anyone else wasting time - I emailed that bike shop in Holland but no reply. So I called them to ask about shipping to Ireland. First they thought Ireland wasn’t in the EU. Then when I assured them it was they promised to check into it. Got an email back asking if there was a UPS hub near me that I could collect t in. I told them no but UPS / DPD etc deliver to me all the time. Reply was the hub thing is how they work. FFS last I checked couriers deliver door to door and people generally use them for that purpose. So I've given up on them. Next cheapest I found once I spread the search outside of Ireland was here https://www.gambacicli.com/en/shimano-ultegra-r8000-11-speed-road-groupset.html , works out about €799 delivered.

We've a lad on here looking for a frameset to replace a crashed one. A symbiotic purchase possibility between ye?

Not too bad an idea I suppose in theory. I assume you meant for a new bike?

I've already pulled the trigger anyway on the groupset with the Italian link above. I figured for the "good summer" bike a new groupset with no scratches or wear was worth the few extra quid. I know there is some lightly used stuff out there, but a lot of lads don't seem to be too bothered about scratches on dérailleurs and shifters, whereas I generally can't un-see them.

The question now though is have I got onto a slippery slope. 🤔 I'd be tempted to upgrade the winter bike now to 11 speed also so they matched. :-)

Also I figured based on out of stock levels for r8000 in various shops, that it was now or never if I wanted fairly top end mechanical, rim braked groupset. (While I do have Dura Ace currently, that was from a different price timezone and there is no way I could justify the price premium now.).

Truth be told if I had been able to buy new 10 speed sti's with hidden cables for the gears and also didn't have to upgrade brakes and FD to match, then I would have been happy to do that. But with the changes from 10 speed to 11 speed in pull ratios for gears and brakes, the economics directed me towards the full groupset (Still undecided though on whether I will keep using the beautiful and reliable 7800 cranlset with the new groupset)

I would totally have looked at Campag if the didn't have the thumb shifter also.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Campag thumb shifter is great. Its a reason to get it imo and not a reason to ignore. If you've only used old sora style ones then yeah maybe

• Advertisement

No I've never used Sora and the last time I used Campag was prior to Integrated brake / gear shifters and back them Campag was where it was at. 😳. I must give them a try sometime.

Advertisement