Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

F1 2023 - Round 8: Spain

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Exactly. He already made up those positions before going into turn 1.

I said he was rattled before the race but fair dues to him. He looked really good today.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,027 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Mercedes looking a bit better, Ferrari not not looking very good. Aston Martin, maybe tyre strategy a bit mixed up, seemed to fall back a bit

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Understood. 🙂

Delighted with the result but also disappointed there wasn’t more wheel to wheel behind Max. Some nice overtake by the Mercs. Shame the Aston’s didn’t do much.

Very cordial in the waiting room there. 😎

Not that it matters much but bit of a crap looking trophy that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,643 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Double points finish for Alpine, so I'm happy with that.

Montreal in two weeks time so an evening race again. Jordan did well there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,156 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Fair play to him but not great for the sport when one driver/team is dominant.

Toto a little off in his thinking that Lewis was only 15s behind Max in reality. Max only pushed at the start of the race to get out of DRS range and that fastest lap, he would’ve been much further up the road if he wanted to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Hijpo

If there was someone exiting the pits when occon and alonso were coming down that straight all three of them were dead... instantly... insane...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭This is it

Ferrari are so **** it's ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,643 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

• Registered Users Posts: 11,286 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Christ, that was just a glorified test session. Much cooler temps went against some and for others.

Not one yellow flag even…

• Registered Users Posts: 30,027 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

It looked a bit extreme but looking at the replay there was enough visibility for Alonso to see there was nobody exiting the pitlane

• Registered Users Posts: 12,149 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Boring race but it's interesting to see that Mercedes seem to have made a step, hopefully they can start to bother the RBs. Ferrari still a shambles. Binotto clearly wasn't the problem there.

Hard to know what the breakdown of the Merc podiums was, did they actually make that much of a jump or were the others off the pace, mix of both maybe? I didn't think Merc really look on it in qualy or practice.

@Ghost Train that second jump to the right was very very late. Whatever about visibility for the first move to the right but the second actually took him into the pit, just past the grass. In saying that I didn't see another angle other than the head on shot.

Sounds like it was a mix of things. They went well at Spain last year as well, it’s pretty smooth and is also front limited, along with the much cooler temps today over the Friday.

AM general go better at rear limited, like Canada next. So I’d reserve judgement for a few races yet. But they made a step, but will others make a step with them over the next few races?

Wonder how much of an impact its made in wind tunnel time and cost cap. Sidepods, suspension and probably floor upgrades.

Anywhere to get data on upgrade costs?

I suspect it’s all relative to the teams. The Merc upgrade would have been pricy enough I imagine, but most upgrades are.

RB and AM and meant to bring pretty big upgrades later this year also, so like Al things in F1 it’s a moving target.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Leclerc was shambolic. I think he wants to jump ship.

I think Leclerc would take a cut to join merc if they can't come to an agreement with Hamilton.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,574 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

What were ferrari at starting him on hards then pitting him after 17 laps. Makes no sense

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I’m pretty sure they sent him back out on the same set of hards after his soft stint too. Very bizarre altogether.

I wonder, and I have my long shot hat on here, the reason Merc and Hamilton haven’t signed together is because Leclerc could be on the market soon, very soon.

If you were Merc, you’d maybe want a younger driver to fill that gap, I think Russell is possibly good enough, but he has faltered a bit so far this year.

Leclerc is probably the fastest driver over one lap. He isn’t as fine tuned as Max, but he is up there with him on his day.

Just a theory, but big teams have dropped big drivers before. (Not dropped, just not continued with).

I don’t think Lerclerc or Hamilton are going anywhere, Lewis will sign for another couple of years and Charles will stay put because there’s nowhere else to go. Toto should be happy enough with his driver pairing seeing as they seem to doing a better job than others of maximising available points based on car performance. The only driver worth shoving Hamilton out the door early for is Max and that won’t be happening. Charles might get you an extra place up the grid in qualifying, but come race day he won’t do any better than Hamilton imo. Yes he’ll be around for longer, but I don’t see much point trying to sign him now. Actually, I’d sooner sign Lando or Piastri if I was looking for a young, fast driver for the future.

On a semi related note, the driver standings makes for interesting reading - Stroll is 64 points behind his teammate and the sole reason why AM are no longer 2nd in the championship. Other than a decent performance in the first race of the year he’s been rubbish. Perez, 53 points behind Max, is closer to George Russell in 5th place than he is to his own teammate in 1st.

Looking forward to the next few races to see if that Merc improvement will carry over to other tracks, Aston might have a battle on their hands for second place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭Dave0301

All indications on that Hamilton will be signing this week. BBC have an article with some decent quotes from the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭McFly85

Yeah, I would have thought Leclerc to Mercedes to be a long shot. Their current drivers seem to work well together(although it would be interesting to see how that develops in a winning car!), and moving Leclerc in for Hamilton will have 2 young race winners butting heads. Mercedes see George I think as their long-term no.1 driver so I wouldn’t be surprised to see Hamilton’s replacement be a Mercedes rookie.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Earlier in the season some seemed to think that Perez could have a shot at this year’s championship. I very much doubt that anyone thinks that now. I think Perez is great driver, but not compared to Max. He is in a class of his own.

It’s great to see the Mercedes improving and a pity to see Austin Martin going backwards (in Spain at least). I was surprised by both teams.

Totally, it was always a long shot but I suspect Leclerc is looking at his options very carefully now. Another year in a Ferrari and he will be lucky to get a win at any point right now. If he went to Merc, I would see him getting the better of George over the course, but that is all dreamland.

Hamilton for another 2 years I reckon at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,574 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

You start on hards to go long into the race and hope for a safety car, rain etc. Leclerc asked for another set of softs after the first soft stint but put him on hards again, mental stuff. I will say I'd very be in favour of mandatory 2 stop races with that level of tyre degradation, the race would have an absolute bore fest if it was a 1 stop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 peterm57

Ryanair flight to Barcelona.

9.10pm. - Departure time

FR6875 - Flight reference

Anyone who flew from Dublin to Barcelona on Thursday 1st June for the Grand Prix is entitled to compensation from Ryanair as the flight was delayed over 3 hours.

Can be applied for through Ryanair Website using flight number and booking reference.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement