Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WWDC : iOS17, WatchOS 10 and more

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,205 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I don't like the name Vision Pro and two hours battery life isn't much.

That said, I can see the headset having potential health and therapeutic benefits down the road, maybe in later versions.

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Two hours battery life is fairly garbage, but since the battery is external perhaps they'll release better batteries in future.

That said, I think the device is clearly designed to be used at home or at the office, therefore plugged in. The mobility aspect is a bit niche. Using it for entertainment while travelling is really the only scenario that's pretty much unworkable at 2 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,668 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I’d imagine the battery capacity was just the usual trade-off between portability and performance. They could’ve made the battery larger, but then… extra weight, and from what I gather the headset is weighty enough already, being made of mostly aluminium rather than plastic. It’ll sell like hotcakes in any case, very much like the Ultra watch. I can’t think of any use cases I’d have for it, but I’ve no doubt the adult entertainment industry has spotted something of a growth market opportunity!

Aside from that, I think people may have been expecting too much of iOS 17. At this stage it seems to be very much the hardware is selling devices, and Apple are struggling to come up with new features. The two things I didn’t expect were like a call back to the early 2000’s with the night-stand clock, and the predictive sentence messaging. I had the night-stand feature on the Nokia N95, and the predictive sentence messaging feature on the Motorola Razr V3x, neither of which had anything like the processing capabilities of iPhones in recent years.

I’ve never seen so much being made of a journaling app either. There must be dozens of them in the App Store, it hardly merits a mention, let alone as a feature of a new operating system.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

TV OS17 now lets vpn providers have their own app just like on IOS and Mac OS now , very useful

• Registered Users Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

Just watched the section of the WWDC event about AppleVision Pro.

I’m eager to see what watching series and movies on it is like but it doesn’t look like these have been designed to work with AirPods Max.

Post edited by Spon Farmer on

• Advertisement

Vision Pro reviews dropping today. Very much a mixed bag.

The field of view is apparently much smaller than Apple had portrayed, much smaller than other headsets. The screen on the front is apparently very difficult to see due to the highly reflective glass (i.e. the question is whether it's a pointless gimmick doing nothing other than adding cost).

The FaceTime persona thing is nowhere near as good as they portrayed either, like there was a woman with long her but when she moved her face her hair didn't really move, it just looked a bit silly. Like I don't think there's any way you'd have calls like this.

The displays are apparently excellent, field of view issues aside, some issues with video pass through in low light.

Hooking it up to your Mac to use as a Mac screen only gives you a single 1440 screen. You can't have more than 1 and you can't do 4k.

I was really interested in this but I think I'm gonna pass until future versions.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Seem very reminiscent of the watch launch. let's throw everything at the wall and see what sticks. Remember Digital Touch and sending heart beats to people. remember watch App Store? They're a distant memory from 8-10 years ago.

Vision Pro looks similar, interesting tech but I feel like some of it will not get utilised and will be axed like the digital personas and the external screen.

I'd probably take a punt at one at around 2000 euro mark but that might not ever be doable or a long way away.

Yea it's like the Watch, but there's a big difference between something that costs 400 and something that costs 4000.

I'm really disappointed in the FOV and the limitations when connecting to a Mac in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,668 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Initial reviews mention the one concern I had which was the weight of the device. I did imagine Apple’s engineering teams would be able to balance the headset in such a way that it would feel weightless, but the alternative headband has it’s own issues.

Technically it’s a marvellous device and I could see myself using it for short spells. I think that’s good enough as it wouldn’t be good to wear it for long periods. One reviewer already was wearing it for five hours!

I like it, but I hope the next generation has better ergonomics.

The Verge review mentions that the weight doesn't seem to be distributed at all, it's just all there on your face. The headband doesn't seem to alleviate the feeling of lots of weight on your face.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Watched iJustines review last night and have to say i was a little underwhelmed, even tho she seemed excited to be using it, but she generally is, she nearly explodes every time she tries a new watch band.

I had high hopes for this, and almost had it justified to myself that i was going to purchase, but i don't think i will until things drastically improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

I think this product is going to bomb and bomb hard. Heavy, clunky and isolating. Such a waste of Apple's resources. It will only ever be a niche product.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I think you've got it wrong. This product may not be a huge success financially but it's Gen 1 and imagine when Gen 8 or 10 would be. I think the future is items like this and they'll become more mainstream when they become smaller, more wearable, less intrusive and isolating and last all day. We could all be doing our day to day computing and media consumption on products like this is the future and Apple are only getting started.

It won't matter how small or wearable they become, so long as they rely on passthrough video they'll struggle for mass adoption.

The issue with this isn't it's size or how it looks, it's that technically it's not as impressive as Apple's marketing had us believe as it suffers from the same limitations as other much cheaper headsets.

I think that lad Marques Brownless summed it up fairly well, it's tomorrow's ideas but it's today's tech.

Yes, that's exactly what I said, tomorrow's ideas and eventually these devices will have tomorrow's tech and Apple are getting prepared for it.

I wouldn't go near this product, Gen 1, too big too heavy, and far too expensive and I don't see the point but they will change in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Apple will treat the Vision Pro like the Homepod if, by at most the third iteration, it has not garnered mainstream appeal. Which, in my opinion, it never will.

I think the big problem they have with this compared to say the Watch which didn't have a clear appeal initially is that in order for this to become very successful they will need to simultaneously make it a lot better while also making it a lot cheaper.

Not normally a fan of Casey Neistat but enjoyed this video and to me it shows how this product is only the start and those on here saying that the product will fail just don't get it as this is only going to get better in the future.

Advertisement