Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WWDC : iOS17, WatchOS 10 and more

Options
  • 29-05-2023 4:09pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So who's excited for next Tuesday?

I'm looking forward to seeing what they can do with the AOD display with iOS17, it's a small bit lacking at the minute.

Comments

Interesting to see if the iphone 8 will get ios 17. Quite a bit of conflicting news on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭Glaceon

Same as. Still clinging on to an iPhone 8 Plus here so am curious how much longer I can get out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

But if the iPhone 8 doesn't get iOS17 your phone will still work?

Still works of course but I wouldn't want to keep using it if no longer receiving security updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭PaulT21

As a long term  Fanboy, 😳 I am really disappointed in the small incremental changes which are happening recently with Apple Hardware and Software (IOS, WatchOS and MacOS) I think  have lost their way a bit. That's just a personal opinion though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,853 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

You're not alone in your thoughts.

Just look at the last innovative IPhone which was the X.

Where as you have the likes of Samsung with the foldable phones, at least they're trying to be innovative.

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The iPhone stopped being truly innovative a long time ago, because they ran out of things you can put in a phone that a lot of people really want, without making the price absurd. We're at the stage now where things like the Dynamic Island are marketed as amazing new things. It's why, over the past number of years, there's been so much focus on making the camera better, cause it's another thing that's easily marketable. In fairness, the camera is amazing, but camera improvements are iterative rather than transformational.

it's also why, again over the past few years, they've spent so much time talking about the spec of the phones rather than great new usage scenarios.

In fairness to Apple though it's a trend across the whole smart phone market, it's not like Samsung are throwing out anything amazing. Foldable phones are a gimmick.

Been hearing these complaints for years now about incremental updates and lack of innovation and I think it's a ridiculous complaint.

What are people expecting?

Radical changes arrive with new products like the original iPhone and it's fist few iterations up to iPhone 4.

After that it's all incremental. The few changes each year , particularly in software add up over time leading to iphone 13 being a totally different phone in terms of software and hardware when compared to iphone 7 or 8 which is not really that long ago.

As mentioned above it's not just Apple who work this way and to say they lack innovation or lost their way is just crazy in my opinion.

You can say the same about any industry. Before the onset of electric cars, hadn't all cars across all brands just had incremental changes each year?

But compare a 1960s car to one from 2000 and you will see radically different tech such as ABS, airbags, seatbelts, car radios, on board computers, heating, remote keys, heated seats etc but they were all just introduced incrementally and not seeing as major breakthroughs when introdu cd.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,440 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Big sell from Tim Cook at the very start.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I really dislike these pre-recorded keynotes. They are too rehearsed. The enunciation and hand movements of the presenters are almost robotic.

• Advertisement

$1299 for a new 15” Mac book air.

Here’s iOS.

Well that’s a good idea with check in.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

Very disappointed for iOS 17

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

Has the price gone up on 14 pro? 😯

I like the call picture thing, and voicemail for Facetime.

The iMessage features are cool, it's just a pity absolutely nobody uses it. I say it every year, Apple are missing a trick not making it cross platform, I reckon a ton of people would jump ship from Whatsapp to the first viable, feature-rich alternative.

• Advertisement

Yea it's not as interesting to watch. The lack of any audience, it is like a really long TV ad.

The "one more thing" bit was so flat because of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Metalpanic

It looked like Craig was in a competition to see how wide a stance you could pull off while filming!

Not since this yet but over the last few years preferred the recorded pitches as they're straight to the point and you don't have bad demos or silly people hooting and hollering in the crowd.

Anyhow I see iOS didn't get as many updates as rumoured, things like Control Centre were supposed to get an update. Big things seems to be the VR headset that none of us will buy!

The VR headset looks amazing, I will be seriously tempted when they come out, looks like it could be a great companion to my MBP.

But it's going to be silly money here. And they also are releasing it US only, with more countries to come later in 2024. It could be 2025 before you can get it in Ireland!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I am excited about the immersive potential of this and other VR devices, especially for gaming, but not so sure about the augmented reality stuff. The EyeSight display (making your eyes visible to people nearby), the CGI model of your face used for video calls and the various other efforts to keep the user connected to the people around them - without looking like a dork wearing a ski mask - are well intentioned but I suspect a waste of time. I just don't see how augmented reality devices in this form can avoid appearing anything other than extremely creepy or rude to others. This is the big hurdle Apple needs to get over for a non-gaming device like this to be a success and I am not sure they going to do it.

I noticed my iPhone 8 Plus now has a Beta Updates option which gives three options. Off, iOS 16 Developer Beta and iOS 17 Developer Beta. The iOS 16 option offers me iOS 16.6 while 17 offers nothing, as expected.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

No, same price as launch, 1619 for a 256 14 Pro Max

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Metalpanic

I have been running it for a day now. It's as good a Beta 1 as I have seen from Apple. Any bugs are very small, Safari jumping around a bit is the worst I have seen so far.

• Advertisement

Yes, I'd expect it to be anything from €3.5k to €4k here so I won't be getting one. It's going to be quite niche and a few years yet before these become mainstream.

Maybe I'll get the Vision SE when it comes out in about 5 years time😀

If they have said "other countries later in 2024" then I'd expect Ireland to be included in that as Ireland is definitely getting the products quicker than it used to.

Advertisement