Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

EV's. More convenient than ICE cars?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭sh81722

I just had to buy 2 new tyres for our 400+ BHP 2021 Model 3 LR. It's a scandal that the first two original tyres ran out at 58k.

Edit: And the cheapest tyres of this size seems to be 70.06 inc VAT and delivery but excluding fitting. It would have cost me 170 quid to get a pair of those fitted. It's a total rip off.

Post edited by sh81722 on

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

He bought the wrong car if he regularly does those kind of trips. The following cars would do that without stopping:

tesla

eniro

kona

bmw i4

They’re the relatively affordable ones, except the i4. Obviously the more expensive barges like Mercs EQS will do it too.

He also stopped too early. There was no need to stop when he would have easily Meade it to Newcastle west.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,666 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Stevie2001

It's a 77kWh Enyaq

Newcastle West has 1 charger and if it's not ICE'd, it's in use, anytime I passed that centra during the day a car is in it

Yeah wrong car. I wouldn’t buy a Skoda to do that trip without stopping. It can’t.

Once every now and again is fine but if you do it weekly or more then it’s a no for me.

Id have one from the list above that can do it without stopping easily all year round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Old diesel

On a better route planner recently I put in a Clonakilty to Paris trip for a Model 3 Long range.

The projected charge time to get to Paris if fully charged in Clonakilty was 50 mins......

Just put in a Belfast to Tralee and back to Belfast trip into ABRP......

Total distance 929 kms round trip.

Projected charge time en route - 41 mins TOTAL......

This charging is made up of (projected)

1 x 16 min stop on the way down to Tralee.

On the return leg.....

1 x 18 mins

1 x 7 mins.....

For a Model 3 Long range.....

Its far from a perfect projection but nonetheless I thought it was an interesting illustration of how very good EV tech can work.

I know someone with a 3 year old M3 SR and it's not for them, maybe when it was brand new it was possible

It's got a little 50kWh battery and he gets max 250km @120 in winter in it, looking at the new lfp 60kwh version it might actually do it alright, for 2-3 years till anyway it degrades by 5-10% and that 300km is now 270km

Tesla Model Y and Model 3 With LFP Battery After 43,000 Miles | Torque News

That won’t happen with the buffers. It will still do it in 3,5,7 years time.

The trick is maybe not at 120km/h.

Personally, if I had to do this trip often I wouldn't really mind, and actually welcomed a 10 minute charging break at one of the supercharger sites on the route. I know myself even after during an occasional long trip on the motorway a short break half way through does wonders for keeping the eyes open. We often stop even when don't need to charge just so that we don't need to sit for multiple hours at time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Lots of ICE drivers want the option to drive 120 km/hr where possible (traffic conditions/speed limits permitting).

They don't like the idea of "been forced" to drive at 100 km/hr by "needing to preserve EV range"

• Advertisement

Many roads force you to drive at 100 anyway. So stick to the speed limits and it will achieve good efficiency is what I’m saying.

Ohh I agree with you on that. I stop on my Dublin to Belfast trips because the kids want to. I’ve no choice. And that’s a simple 2 hour 170km trip!

Im just highlighting it can be done easier than the journalist made it out to be. He seems to have missed chargers according to other posters too.

Right. We recently drove to Leixlip->near Athenry->Leixlip to collect something. The car was able to do that return trip on M4 at actual speed without charging, actually with a buffer to spare, but no way would we have just turned around without a proper break. So didn't charge but it was just too a daunting idea to just turn around without a 30 minute coffee break.

In the EV world, time is money doesn't exist :)

I might be using a totally off stereotype, but anytime I see someone driving an EV, I think frugal person.

Who will put up with the obvious limitations of todays EV's because in the long run they are a cheaper to run and on short journeys they are better to drive, but for most non frugal people or people with money eg time is money, they are not gonna wanna be messing with public chargers and crawling at 100km/h on the M7

In most cases though, they don't care about the emissions anymore than I do and would happily drive an ICE if petrol/diesel was free at there workplace.

Tesla drivers I think are a bit different though, as those cars are budget performance cars with a private charging network, many of those owners would have had or even still have proper high petrol cars

My stereotype is more for your Leaf, Kona, VW, MG etc drivers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

I don't spend anymore than 3-5 mins in a petrol station so, no.

My neighbour is constantly trying to sell me the idea of EVs. I ask her what do you do if all the charge points are taken. She says "EV owners are such a nice community, they are more than happy to let you in ahead of them for 10 mins just to top up to get you home or to your destination"

So you mean to tell me that when I'm charging my car I'm going to have 2 or 3 pains in the a$$ come up to me asking to get a little top up in before me?

No thanks. I will gladly continue to use ICE for the foreseeable future, unless some kind of autonomous network that negates the need to own your own car at all comes in future where I can press a button on my phone and have a car waiting outside to take me anywhere.

Does your neighbour have a charging station at home? Could you fit one? What's your longest regular trip (say at least 6 times a year)?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,666 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

the three year old SR plus may as well be a ford, for all the relevance it has to the current 61kWh LFP car. LFP has 6-8000 cycles vs the 6-800 in li-ion, I wouldnt expect to see any degradatation in an LFP car for hundreds of thousands of km.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

I could fit one yes. I would do Galway to Dublin 6 times a year. I would often have to spontaneously go from work in Galway to the other side of the county or to Athlone. The thought of having to plan all this out with an EV is making my head hurt just thinking about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,891 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

the sh!tty anecdotes people who have never owned an EV come up with for why they will never drive one crack me up 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 65,085 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Dublin to Galway is only about 200km? I think pretty much every EV you can buy today, even the cheapest ones, can do that without charging. Or do you mean a return trip? Then yes you will have to charge in all but the longest range EVs - in a €40k Tesla for maybe 10-15 minutes on the way back.

Mind, if the tank in your ICE car wasn't at least about half full, you would have to stop to fill up too. And nobody filled that up overnight when you were asleep at home (almost for free). The funny thing is most people I know only spend €20 or €50 at a petrol station. That gives them no more range than an EV 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,770 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Have to say it's very rare I've had to queue for fuel.

Would it be handy to almost never have to go to a fuel station sure. Pros and cons to everything. I often discover the other half has left the car on an empty tank as we are going out the door. That could be a problem with an EV for me. Then again is probably not going to be our only car. So we could just take the other car.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Tyres are tyres. Nothing special about EV ones. As long as you buy ones with the correct numbers on them.

I run goodyear all season tyres. As we always get a bit of snow etc every year, And dont live on a road that gets treated.

I had a Leaf 24 while still owning my E46 M3 😃

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Dublin to Galway, do it once a month, sometimes more. M3 RWD.

Arrive in Galway at 35% after leaving at 100%. Quick top-up for 15 mins give or take in Athenry on the way home and sorted, no drama no problems. I imagine it would be quicker in an LR (ie shorter charge needed to get me motoring again).

If I had to go and the car was only half full or less, quick stop in Enfield at the superchargers there would have me on the road quickly enough.

Going to Donegal which I do about 6 times a year takes a tiny bit more work due to the lack of fast chargers up there, solution, is a granny charger once I get there and sorted.

with the right car and the right small bit of planning its grand.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Going from Donegal to Dublin is even easier, start full, and get a full charge and go home

Or get to 70% odd and stop for a short time either at castle Bellingham or Monaghan depending on what way you go. (Possibly could stretch it to Derry)

Getting a charge in the North should get better as now it's paid, and when they finally roll out these hubs they are banging on about.

And when home.. I'm at my home charger!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

I have to laugh, its a quick stop in obama or enfield or some other place to get a charge, yet its obviously a pain in the hole to get petrol at the same stop, 15 minutes wasted, its nearly as bad as timing chains, you would think they are changed every other month, lol,

there is only one reason I did not buy a BEV, its all the wonderful experiences different people had at chargers,

I notice that a lot of threads are about how great EVs are, interspersed with problems at chargers, be it someone blocking it or its not working or some other crap, yet pick any thread about a phev or hybrid, and nothing is going on, it seems to be that the owners are content, happy or not bothered with there car or find the need to praise it at every opportunity. LMFAO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

I've never had a charger fail on me. I'm in Dublin and I've had 2 different EVs north of Belfast numerous times, limerick, Cork, westport, galway

• Registered Users Posts: 19,891 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Give it a rest, you love your outlander good for you. We all know at this stage. Do you not realise that people in bevs will have considered hybrids and discounted them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

Hit a nerve? lol. The outlander is 2 cars old now at this stage. I am a BMW man now.

I made an observation, it goes like this, My EV is brilliant, such a pain stopping for petrol, its fantastic stopping for electrons, I love it, no drawbacks whatsoever, even if it costs more than fuel, its a convenience I don't mind paying extra for it.

I never mentioned my phev only that the hybrid and phev threads there's nothing going on in them, ask yourself why? No one is prattling about them.

This thread is pathetic, the pain of filling up, as someone put it PTSD, lol, first-world problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,085 ✭✭✭✭unkel

@kanuseeme - "there is only one reason I did not buy a BEV, its all the wonderful experiences different people had at chargers"

@kanuseeme - "The outlander is 2 cars old now at this stage. I am a BMW man now."

Even if you did huge long distance driving in Ireland, public fast charging with a Tesla would not be an issue, there are no waiting times, plenty of chargers per location and they always work. If this really is the only reason you didn't buy a BEV, it seems it isn't and never was a valid reason? Maybe you don't want a Tesla? Or maybe they are out of budget? Although I can't see the total cost of ownership of a relatively recent BMW PHEV be wildly different from say either a second hand early Model 3 to even a brand new €40k one

I was quite surprised about that remark, you always seemed to come across as a fierce critic of BEVs and a strong fan of PHEVs because they are "the best of both worlds" in your book?

Advertisement