Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

EV's. More convenient than ICE cars?

Options
15678911»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

For me, the switch to EV was because the tech had caught up to what would suit my needs and circumstances (combined with a windfall and financial gymnastics) meant that I could afford it - I knew there would be financial savings on the running costs, but with a bigger capital cost up-front.

I traded in a Toyota Auris 1.8 Hybrid (Luna Sport model about €35k, if I recall), originally booked an id.3 (€40k at the time) but VW couldn't build/deliver it and have been running a Tesla Model 3 SR+ for a year now and it has worked out as follows:

• Cost approx. €50k to buy (the same model is now €10k cheaper - grrr 🙄).
      • Because of windfall, financial gymnastics, and trade-in there is no long-term debt on it (but the Auris had no loan outstanding either so that's a draw)
    • Savings vs Petrol cost for 12 months (geek confession, I kept a spreadsheet): €2,050
      • **I have access to workplace charging, which was worth about €450 for the 12 months. So, the true saving would probably be closer to €1,600 (EDIT charger after grant was €600, so still approx €1,000 saving)
      • Real world range is probably around 420km (15kw/100km) (Auris range was probably around 600-650km for a full tank, I can't recall but it averaged 5.2l/100km)
        • I charge twice a week (weekly cost about €22), Auris I used to fill once a week (approx €60 to weekly fill when I sold it)
    • Savings on Car insurance: €120
    • Savings on Road Tax: €60
    • Savings on Tolls (LEVTI): €375

The Tesla is never going to turn a profit - I'd have to keep running it at the same rate for 20+ years to break-even. But then again, the car is not an investment, my Auris before that was not about breaking even either. Both are just a vehicle for getting me where I needed to go. I just get there in a more comfortable, technologically advanced vehicle now.

Might not be for everyone, especially for Sales Reps, Road Warriors, those with no home charging options, and I respect that. Sharing my experience for reference, in case it helps others. Two members of my extended family have also purchased an EV each - from the Volkswagen group - and have similar positive experience, one further family member would not be seen dead with an EV and bought a Ford recently.

The prices are coming down (see MG, BYD, even Tesla), the options for public and home / apartment charging are improving, and the range will eventually go up (ask any Gen-1 Leaf drivers to compare to options now, and they'd have taken your hand off for the current range).

Post edited by Fingleberries on

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Stevie2001

Good honest breakdown

You've an awesome car and it's a big upgrade over an Auris, enjoy it

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Daveq

I think as others have said convenience is a personal thing and what's convenient for one is not the same for another.

I know not everyone buys an EV purely to save money, it's just a nice bonus. However as others are quoting savings, something I've noticed is the cost of the home charger isn't included.

I get one fill a month on ICE ( spend approx. €1k per year) my Zappi + installation+ tail upgrade has set me back almost €2.5k. so that wipes out EV savings for quite a while in my case anyway!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

That’s fairly rough all right for the charger you had installed..

mine cost me. Net amount of €450, so probably paid for itself after 15,000km..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Charger was paid for after one month of EV use in my case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Took about 3 months to pay back the charger install cost (factoring in the grant ofc).

Once its in, it should last a number of years so all good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

I've updated my summary for year one costs / savings to include the charger cost (zappi on a pedestal, some supporting works for cobble lock, etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭micks_address

Over in the UK at the moment with id4, I wouldn't say it's hassle but it is a nuisance having to consider where chargers are and if they working and if there's a queue.. have seen very few EVs compared to Dublin. I find myself coming across a charger and it's available so I fill up in a just in case mentality. None of this would matter with a ice.. would I go back to ice? Probably not. Still think I'd prefer have a ice with me for longer road trips as it's just a no brainer. I don't come across many petrol stations with queues or broken pumps and I don't need an app to find them. A good example is Monday..need to drive about 150 miles to cairnryan.. I can leave full and that gets me to cairnrayn but then I need to drive from Belfast to Dublin.. I'd rather not stop once I hit Belfast and get home.. so I need to factor in a stop before cairnryn hopefully with somewhere we can grab lunch and be on our way..

Ok we do maybe one trip like this once a year but actually when you are on holiday it's probably something you'd rather not have to figure out..the whole point is to be lazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Does the ID not do route planning?Saw a post from someone travelling in an Audi EV across Europe and they mentioned it had integrated route planning which planned charging stops etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭micks_address

Sure it probably does but I always use Google maps.. it's all good but in cases like this there's no denying with an ev you need a little bit more planning... I don't mind taking 30/40 minutes to charge the car but my wife is always oh this is a dose and we could be 30 minutes further down or up the road.. our hotel has a charger which is handy and I'm the only ev around so no competition for it so I'll charge overnight.. it's 6kw.. i use a better route planner and plugshare for finding working chargers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Google maps is grand but it doesn't know the % charge on your car, battery temperature, charging speeds, charger availability etc so is a lot more work than an integrated navigation system that automatically plans all your charging stops.

Advertisement