Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

McGrath statement of tax changes for landlords. Same as last year. Will never happen.

Options
  • 12-05-2023 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭

Im going to go out on a limb here and say that this is exactly the same as they did last year.

Make an announcement so that landlords wait for the budget and in the meantime lock them in some other way. Come budget day, not a bean for them.

Last year they were planning on extending the eviction ban but obviously got info from the AG that they couldnt do this.

And even if by some act of God they did bring in better tax changes for landlords there would be so many hoops to jump through to get them that hardly anyone would benefit. Either make the tax situation better or dont. Dont complicate it. And if you can talk about it, the same as they have been for over a year now, they can surely splel out what they are going to be at this point.

I call bullsh!t on it. And I think any landlords who are not out yet would be wise to get out while they can. This is just a ploy to keep them in for a few more months so they can come up with some new ban, maybe forever.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭herbalplants

I think it is too late already!

Lots of apartments for sale at the minute all landlords selling.

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭DubCount

Tax incentives for landlords is a numbers game. How much does the state sacrifice in tax revenue, vs how many landlords will be kept in the market, or how many new landlords will enter the market. For me, its hard to see this ever balance in a way which will make sense. Thats because tax is not the main reason landlords are leaving.

Besides, giving landlords tax breaks is very unpopular. While Joe and Jackie public are struggling with cost of living issues and their own financial constraints, giving tax breaks to Landlords ("who are already rich fat cats living off the poverty of others") is political madness - especially as we get closer to general election time. Can you imagine Mary Lou responding to that budget speech.

I reckon there will be no tax changes, and if there are any, they will come with more terms and conditions than you shake a stick at.

I also reckon there will be another Winter Eviction ban for 2023/24 - cant have people being turfed out in the cold weather, and sure its only temporary.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Tax is a relatively small issue for landlords. Recovery of possession and the liquidity of the asset are the big ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Tax makes a massive difference.

Possession doesn’t matter if you can make enough after-tax rent with the current tenant

You can always sell the property with tenant in situ to another landlord if the after-tax rent is high.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,967 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

I think the damage is done and nothing will undo it. LL's are getting out or keeping property empty to see what happens. There is to much abuse online to easy for the next government to make things worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭ingo1984

I totally agree that they will reintroduce the eviction ban for winter months and this will become an annual occurrence. They do have it in other countries also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭The Spider

A lot of landlords are not rich fat cats, either accidental or have another property. I do think however tax breaks wouldn’t be popular with the general public. I also agree that they’ll try go for another eviction ban.

I foresee landlords ramping up evictions and trying to sell before October Downbythegarden is right on this, they’ll pull the plug on any promises right before the budget and lock them in with another ban, he’s right as well in that it could be time to get out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭downtheroad

If you work overtime you pay tax at your marginal rate.

If you work a second job pay tax at your marginal rate.

If you set up a side business you pay tax at your marginal rate.

But landlords think that their additional income should be treated differently to the above?

• Advertisement

For the same reason that there are caps on rents and special protections for tenants.

That is, to improve the welfare of tenants. If landlords don’t have a reason to stay in the business, they’ll sell to FTBs and tenants will have to find somewhere else

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

Newsflash. Landlords dont really care at all about the tax. Its the inability to maintain control over their asset and their inability to make a profit on it. Combine that with the immense risk of it all going wrong and tax is small potatoes.

Newsflash. Whoever started this thread clearly cares about the taxation of their rental property.

I started the thread. If you want to stalk me you'll see that I used to be a landlord but I am not anymore. So not too concerned about my tax as a landlord. If you read the OP properly you will see that I am calling bullsh!t on McGrath becasue I think hes just making a thinly veiled attempt to stop landlords leaving until they can get the new legislative handcuffs on to any remaining landlords. Like most people in government he either doesnt see what the real problems are or he is afraid to say what they are.

I doubt very much it will work tbh. Do you think it will work?

My bad, I didn't look at the username.

I've never been a landlord, toyed with the idea briefly bit knocked it on the head purely because of the risk of tenants overholding, not paying rent, damaging the property, and being encouraged or applauded by the likes of Threshold.

I would be in favour of a properly structured RTB enforcing proper regulations and inspections on both landlords and tenants, and properly regulating the market.

I would not be in favour of preferential tax treatment for landlords. Particularly when the laughable and utterly useless rent tax credit for tenants isn't as generous as what some landlords are clamouring for. (I'm not a tenant either for clarity).

Rent on a home in an RPZ is capped relative to the price in 2015. You can only increase by a certain percent per year.

Well I doubt we are going to get any of those things tbh. The tax would be the easiest to do because they would basically have to do nothing about the risk profile. But that alone will still never work. not that this is anything but a wind up by McGrath before he springs the trap on the remaining landlords.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

What's needed here is very straight-forward - match the €14k tax relief for renting a room in your house. And landlords could only apply it once so a landlord with 10 houses would also only get 14k relief on one home, not on each of the 10.

Irish politicians are fundamentally populist so anything that benefits landlords is just so hard for them do, even if society benefits as a result.

Same with Capital gains tax. All the evidence is that if this was cut from 33% to 20%, that would actually bring in MORE revenue to the exchequer due to increased transactions. But will they ever do it, very doubtful.

That would be the easiest alright, but they will make it so complicated that few will actually get it if they were even going to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,264 ✭✭✭alias no.9

The €14k only applies when the total rent and any contribution to utilities is under the €14k, as soon as that threshold is exceeded, all of it is taxable. It may initially seem worthwhile to reduce the rent below the threshold to avail of the relief but would any landlord trust that it not be taken away by the next government while at the same time tightening RPZ controls.

The single biggest thing that is missing is trust. The best thing that could happen is a 10 year commitment to do nothing, no more knee jerk reactions and unintended, but predictable, consequences. You simply cannot solve a supply shortage by tightening regulations.

Giving a tax reduction equal to half the difference between the rental price and the market price would be a lot more equitable.

Limiting the allowance to one property is not a good idea. It is important that landlords can sell their property with a tenant in situ. To do that there have to be other landlords who will buy them.

Capital gains tax at 20 percent where you sell with a sitting tenant is a workable idea I suppose. But for a lot of people, capital gains tax isn’t really that much because the appreciation hasn’t been that big.

That might only be a couple of hundred quid a month benefit to the landlord.

We need the first 14k to be tax free and the rest can be marginally taxed. That's fair.

Even better would be treating it like a business so only have to pay 12.5% corp tax on profits. But that will never happen in a million years.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Emblematic

There should obviously be incentives for individuals to invest in large-scale professional landlords. The problem is that the large number of small landlords in the country mean there's votes in pandering to them even though that is not the way the country should go.

There are no votes to be had in pandering to landlords of any size.

Even if you hate small landlords, they make up too large a portion of the rental market to ignore. If you want to maintain (or even grow) rental market stock (and give any chance of rents falling), you need something to encourage existing landlords to stay - even small landlords. I just dont think taxation is the answer, because for me its solving the wrong problem.

Fast-track evictions for non-paying, anti-social or overholding tenants. Timeline to abolish RPZs or mechanism for adjusting rent in an RPZ where rent is more than 20% below market rent. Repealing HAP so state contributions continue even if tenant stops their contributions. Paying for a new website for the RTB - one that actually works. IMHO, this type of action would do more for retaining and growing rental supply in Ireland than any tax cut.

Am i right in saying these tax chagnes for landlords are indeed NOT going to happen? As usual in ireland, all talk and hot air back in March but i see nothing of substance coming in the upcoming budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

It will likely offer very little or put it in the wrong place like reducing capital gains that only benefits those that sell up.

They are hoping to kick the can and hope more houses come in stream or people moan about something else.

Anything short of a 14k tax free limit will do nothing.

We held on last year for the budget. What fools we were. Didnt make the same mistake this year. Sold up and never so happy.

• Advertisement

Infuriating. Shooting themselves in the foot. Only way to solve the housing crisis is to have more homes and more landlords in the game.

Advertisement