Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory Gallagher - A dismissed case that was dealt with and brought to attention? Mod Note in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

She believes her. She was in Clones the night it happened like a lot of the Fermanagh team. She was in the hospital after. You see the part that's missing. The part the Gardai/DDP would need.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Oh i see. Nicola must have walked into a door.

Jesus thats not the point and you know it. As Mickey Haller would say "its not what you know it's what you can prove." Grow up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Not in the court if public opinion.

Gallgaher is well and truly outed thankfully. Still some trying to make out he is being falsely accused. Disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭celt262

How do you know alot off the Fermanagh team were in clones that night?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Because they were after playing a match there.

I went to college with two lads from the same area as them. They could tell you stories that would fill 6 books.

Opposing fans chanting about this while Rory was playing.

You sleep with 12 I'll sleep with your teammate.

The drink. The violence.

Why won't people help? How many times do you help and end up back in the same situation a month later?

Even now with these stories sympathy is thin on ground for those in that area. "If I can't have the kids he won't have the kids so they'll be with a relative or in care." Revenge.

I said in an earlier post this entire situation is poisonous and the only innocent victims are the kids.

Little weasel deserves all he gets but its hard to know what that will be.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Rosita

I think you have gone over the top here. Certainly I don't imagine the man in question is very pleasant and nobody is saying he is. But all of this seems to be old news from a marriage that ended several years ago and seems to have been investigated by police in the past. It seems unlikely if any if this is new for the people involved.

From my own knowledge of people I would be concerned about a social media post like that from someone who is an acknowledged alcoholic. They might well regret posting it given that it most likely achieves nothing other than pitching a family into the eye of a social media storm which will rage for a few days until the next outrage emerges.

I'm sure all of this was raised in the past if the police were involved and is not new. You have no idea what the dynamics of the situation in the background. "Outing Rory Gallagher" might be the last thing any of them needed if it's now being played out in public and chewed over by anger-mongers on the internet for their own entertainment. There's probably a family dealing with the fallout of this while you have the luxury of virtue-signalling on the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,980 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Have you actually read it yourself ?

Sheila Maguire says she was with Nicola Gallagher in Clones in 1999 and went with her to Monaghan hospital. She goes on to says " Life moves on, college work, etc but I always rhought maybe now they are married things have changed, but not so"

So what are you saying, that they went to Monaghan hospital for some reason other than Nicola Gallagher being assulted in a carpark in Clones, or that she was assualted by someone other than Rory Gallagher. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,931 ✭✭✭✭anewme

As someone who understands this lady!s situation having walked in her shoes, you are wrong in respect of her post by blurting it out there.

The bitterness comes from being silenced for so long. Now that the “secret” is out, in a way, it forces her to heal.

She is taking back control by putting her own story out there, instead of allowing him paint her as a mad vindictive alcoholic.

i dint blame her being an alcoholic if that’s what she’s had to endure.

I hope this is the first step of her healing and that she gets the support and help she needs to get there.

End the silence is the only way to do that. It’s not everyone’s way of doing it by posting it in social media, but that’s her way and so be it.

Reading her social media, far from being regretful of posting, the support she is receiving from around the world from both men and women is boosting her morale, Too many of the same stories from women who have experienced the same.

I imagine being beaten to a pulp by your spouse is something that never gets old. Nor do I think being an alcoholic gives a spouse the right to beat you to a pulp, but that is just me.

Rory Gallagher in his statement certainly did imply that allegations were investigated in both NI and the ROI, but do you actually now belive that is credible given Sheila Maguires post ?

So which is it.

The visit to Monaghan hospital had nothing to do with Nicola Gallagher being assaulted in a car park in Clones in 1999, or someone other than Rory Gallagher her then boyfriend assaulted her beating her to a pulp ?

Sheila Maguire was in Clones that night. (If you Google Ulster Championship 1999 you have a 50% chance of getting the date right)

Sheila Maguire was in the the hospital. Sheila Maguire knows what happens. I sitting in a house in Galway that night knows what happened.

But.

Could Shelia Maguire stand up in a court of law and say she seen who inflicted these injuries? No.

As I said. Not what you know. What you can prove.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,768 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Absolutely incredible that people are still playing the "well she's an alcoholic" card as though this makes everything OK.

I think you need to read my post again carefully. None of the stuff you raise is mentioned in it.

• Advertisement

You are assuming her story has never been heard. If police have been involved in undoubtedly has. Shouting it so loudly that the loons on the internet can have a feeding frenzy will solve little.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

How and where did I try to score points for a GAA personality? I rarely watch football. Before this case, I wouldn't have known Rory Gallagher if I saw him on the street.

I've tried to stay in between the facts of the case.

You're just sledging people left, right and centre with zero understanding of how the law works. I'm no expert but I know what passes as evidence and what doesn't.

I didn't act against anyone. I tried to prevent people from fanning the flames of an already messed up case with pointing towards what works as evidence and what doesn't.

I'm not interested in hounding or dismissing or judging anyone.

I don't understand posters who point fingers at people or base something on feeling or what they've heard...

You're just lashing out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

I understand you now. You are deliberately being obtuse.

What are you implying now with "If you Google Ulster Championship 1999 you have a 50% chance of getting the date right", that Sheila Maguire is lying ?

?????‽? Where the **** did you come up with thar train of thought

• Registered Users Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭PressRun

All I'll say is that domestic violence is very difficult to prosecute, it's very difficult for victims to stand up to their abusers, very difficult for them to take their cases to court, especially when there are children involved and especially when the abusive individual is an influential person. Many abusers are charismatic and manipulative and very skilled at weaponising the system. A case not making it to court does not mean that something didn't happen. Many people are abused, but those numbers aren't reflected in conviction rates or even arrests. It doesn't mean these things aren't happening. You would want to be utterly delusional to think that the cases prosecuted successfully in court are the only "real" cases of domestic violence happening in this country, or that conviction rates are where the issue begins and ends. The courts are not representative of the reality of the situation, not by a long shot.

Not difficult where you appear to believe that Googling the possible date of what Nicola Gallagher said occured in Clones and what Sheila Maguire has verified has any relevance other than the two of them getting their story straight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

This is a good thread from someone who has worked in the area rather than some of the shite that's getting slapped up and attacking posters with it.

Sinéad McGarry

1) I have no knowledge of the Rory Gallagher or his family life but some dangerous narratives are emerging around domestic violence, the role of social work, the police and the courts which should be challenged.https://twitter.com/ColtsBert/status/1656714379620909065

2) I was an Emergency Dept social worker for many years. I routinely worked with women who experienced brutal levels of violence. Many had addiction issues which developed as a coping strategy to survive the relentless emotional and physical abuse. 

3) Mothers feared leaving their relationship as the perpetrator told them they would lose their kids. Their fears were valid. I provided medical evidence of assault in many cases & children were still placed with the perpetrator at the point of separation. 

4) It was essentially a trade-off led by social workers with limited education in coercive control and the impact on kids. Kids were essentially deemed safer with father who abused their mother than with their mother who had addiction. 

5) Gaining custody of the kids in NO way means that a man has not perpetrated violence against a woman. I can think of multiple cases where a man explained away, minimised, denied or admitted violence to police, courts and social workers and still got custody of his children. 

6) As our knowledge of the serious impact of domestic violence on children who witness it improves, this may change. For now, perpetrators can continue to groom professionals to exert as much control as they can over family life. 

7) Perpetrators are so skilled at grooming professionals.I have heard gardai & social workers use the exact language of the perpetrator to describe the woman 'troubled, unfit, incapable.' Professionals need much more support & training to manage perpetrator behaviour & influence. 

8) In the meantime, please don't use a decision not to prosecute or a custody decision as a reason to decide a woman is lying about domestic violence. I have known many women, beaten to a pulp, who lost custody of their kids and never saw their cases get to court. 

9) This is one of the reasons why women stay. Leaving a relationship with children means that despite known violence, the perpetrator will in most cases,continue to have access to and at times, full custody of the children. Leaving is often less safe for mothers than staying. 

• Registered Users Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

I'd imagine a lot of those police interviews were conducted in relative privacy.

However now Nicola has made it public, other people who witnessed events down through the years might start coming forward like Sheila has.

Outsiders like to convince themselves that it's a blip/ once off event. Especially if the couple go on to marry and have children etc.

Outsiders are generally reluctant to get in-between spouses.

I think the best thing Nicola can do for herself is get herself sober (easier said than done) and reapply for custody of her children. She's already away from the person she has named as an abuser, that's half the battle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,262 ✭✭✭Robson99

I'd say there is a bit to come out yet over the next few days. Once the silence is broken it will start to flow.

Advertisement