Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Pixel 7a

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Str8outtaWuhan

• Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭mondeo

I'm looking at picking this up myself to replace a Pixel 6a. I had non stop heating issues with the 6a for the 9 odd months I have had it. I think I actually hate the phone now. Never had a phone get so hot around the edges in my life. No updates or resetting ever fixed it. I do like the software support these phones get though.

Is the 7a going to be any better with the newer Tensor 2 chip ? Do they roast you like the Tensor 1 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

where's the cheapest place to purchase these now ? is it still three of you've a spare Sim to burn?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,507 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

I'm getting one via a prepay

SIM from Eir route and then port to 3. Hoping there is not some catch here. So, 310 euro total.

Also, assuming they don't get too hot. I believe the Android 14 update improves battery etc etc etc..

Mainly getting it for a decent camera.

Bought this today on Three, transferred all my stuff over from my pixel 6a. Updated it to Android 14. I'll see how I get on with it as I had awful overheating issues with the 6a. Video calling will be the big test as it was the biggest reason for overheating on my 6a. Phone did get warm setting it up though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Q&A

I'll see your €310 and knock a tenner of it. Order a free 48.ie SIM and you can port that without needing to top up.

A month on and no significant overheating issues from the phone but I wouldn't overly tax my phone beyond web browsing and the odd podcast.

Nice one.

I'm already on 48.ie and they are on the 3 network/a 3 company, so I was not sure if it would work.

I've been video calling on my new 7a, ye the phone is getting pretty toasty like my 6a but not as.... Considering I got this for €300 on the Three porting deal I'll accept it but it's not a critical buy over the 6a imo. Maybe the camera is abit better and the 90hz V 60hz on the 6a makes it worth it. I ordered a leather flip case for it so I wont notice the heat so much. I read even the Pixel 8's are getting fairly hot to according to a ton of users on Google forums. These Tensor chips are just hot feckers and seems that's the way it is. I like the look of the phone though.

Just got my phone.

Was going to update the camera app, but I see a load of people complaining about it on the Google store.

The main reason I got this phone was for a better camera. I don't want some stupid app update to screw that up. What are Google up to ?

Post edited by SuperBowserWorld on

I haven't updated the camera app myself but I'll look into it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,830 ✭✭✭jeffk

Ive the lastest camera app and on beta on the rom side of things an see no issues

I just have a bad feeling about Google.

I had a nexus tablet once that was perfect and Google updated the OS, and it was unusable after that. :)

In other news I've backed up all my photos from Google Photos + I have only the minimal apps I need on my new phone.

Super Duper New Year's clean out.

Feels GOOD.

Would people recommend this phone still after prolonged use? Coming from years of getting fairly standard motorola phones but would like a decent camera for a change and this seems to tick the boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭strawdog

Only just over a month in but happy enough so far. Think any phone under 400 will have trade offs. Coming from a poco x3, was v good phone for price at time with a beast of a battery that could last 2 days with middling heavy usage in its first couple of years. But the camera was just ok at best, also had to switch to another launcher as it was buggy out of the box.

7a battery not as long lasting or as fast to charge but holds very comfortably for a full day, camera is definitely a substantial cut above, (pretty much flagship level by most accounts) which was important for me with a couple of young babas. Liking screen gestures (optional) instead of the buttons at the bottom, now that I'm getting used to them. Slightly smaller screen than my poco but am ok with that as it's neater in the pocket.

It updated to android 14 straight away and has been working smoothly from day 1, camera automatically works off Google photos which I wasn't mad about but have downloaded a gallery too which works fine. Not sure yet if any other ramifications of having same company's hardware and OS

So would say if camera is nb, it's a no brainer if you don't want to spend a couple of hundred more. As overall package, at 300ish it was far and away the best bang for buck in my research, but haven't been tracking prices since I pulled the trigger

Cheers for the detailed reply. Really liked the Motorola's but camera always let it down so I think I will pull the trigger on the pixel next week. Going to try and use the 48 sim trick mentioned above. Just waiting to receive in the post.

Have this a few days now and the camera is excellent. Also fingerprint unlock works fine. Android 14 seems excellent too. And no bloat apps on the phone.

Did you do the port online with your 48sim or in the store to save the money on top up?

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Q&A

All online, I didn't need to top up when porting online.

I think there are a couple of options which included an extra top up charge but I went through them and selected the one option that allowed top up later.

Just did it there worked perfect. Got the phone for €299. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,993 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Any long term users give a further update?

I have a chance to maybe get a mint condition used one for £200, can't decide whether to pull the trigger or not, as I've never owned a Pixel before.

Would be coming from a Samsung S10e which is starting to show early signs of battery fading.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,458 ✭✭✭micks_address

if thats 200 euro you can't go wrong.. even 200 pounds would be a good price.. if you don't like it sell it and you wont make a loss at that price

• Registered Users Posts: 32,993 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

It's 200 stg. But it's like new.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,772 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

On this. I’m currently with Gomo and intend on staying with them. Is it just a matter of me going into Three and purchasing this over the counter and slotting in my current sim into this Google phone?

Thanks

I'm not sure how it will work in the shop. I bought mine online and ported over a 48months Sim card. then when the phone came I just popped in my gomo one and all working ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,772 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Hi Wolfy, just to be clear:

I order this off 3, on PAYG.

I get a spare sim from Lyca or Tesco.

when three ask me ‘do I want to keep my number’ what do I say, yes or no?

When phone arrives I want to use my Gomo sim and my current number.

Am I doing this right?

click yes when asked if you want to keep your number. Put in your details of the dummy sim. obviously you will have to have the dummy sim in a phone already to receive a code. it's asks about a top and I selected 15 euro but was able to skip that further on. Received the phone few days later and simply popped in gomo sim

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭chonix

So, what's the cheapest dummy sim I could get to work with the 3 deal? TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭Warbeastrior

I'm coming from a Redmi Note 10 Pro. Anyone any idea about comparisons?

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭chonix

I would say... check:

• If external storage is a thing (Pixel doesn't have external SD)
    • If radio is a thing
    • If 3.5mm audio jack is a thing
    • If battery life is important (battery capacity is smaller)

If those things are a problem; then no Pixel 7a

Screen size seems to be smaller

----

Of course it's the same for me. I have a Moto G8 Plus. And where a due upgrade is needed; I don't think the Pixel 7a would improve my experience.

Guess it all depends in the end the usage you're going to give to your phone.

Also if it's relevant the amount of updates the phone is going to receive/etc...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭Warbeastrior

Advertisement