Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

We're moving!!!!!!!!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭JayBee66

Is the site slow? I hadn't noticed.

If it aint broke, don't fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,643 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Yes it can take an age to load sometimes. Lucky you.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,096 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I personally never saw any speed issues either, but there's a small fraction who've reported them since the move. It's not as simple as someone connecting to the Vanilla server in Canada. There's also a Cloudflare layer in front of that, to add further complexity and an extra potential source of slowdown. Moving it to Europe helps to shorten then part too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,484 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I've never found it in the least bit slow.

I'm amazed there's anybody left using the site when you read all the moaning in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭JayBee66

I'm with the ancestors (sticks to you) but have 500MB fibre. Is it only ADSL users on ~2MB that report slow loading?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,484 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Many casual users may not understand what the original post here is about. Can it be edited to explain in one line that there is a site migration on X date and what the expected outage is? More details below then for those interested.

In terms of the migration itself, is it possible to do a dry run? Then you’ll know how long it would take and iron out any kinks in the process.

Post edited by JDxtra on

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 973 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mike

Good morning all,

I'm glad that so many of you have had a chance to read the OP.

I would like to add here that this is not a major site redevelopment or another migration. This is simply a move to a server that is much closer to home. There will not be any changes to the layout, settings, appearance or functionality of the site. This is merely a change to the European AMS server. Any other issues that have been raised here have already been addressed in other threads and are all currently being worked on. Lets keep things civil and on point here please.

The idea behind the move is as I said. To increase usability and performance. There are many reports coming to us about site speed every single week. So we understand that it is a major issue for some users. That is why we decided to make the move when the option became available to use. This is meant to be a move to something better, a boost in positivity. Boards.ie has been around for a very long time, as have huge numbers of users. We are constantly trying to improve on what we have here so that it remains a place for users to come to and enjoy well into the future.

I added detail to the OP in the interest of transparency. The fact is there will be negligible changes that will need to be made a couple of words in a document perhaps. The current use of the YUL1 Canandian server ensured that all rules and regulations were complied with. So "The Plan" that is causing such concern need not worry anyone. Privacy and Data Protection will remain a top priority as it always has here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭Glaceon

AMS is Amsterdam I assume?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,096 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Yes. There's a whole standard for naming data centres after their closest airport code, and Schiphol is AMS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

For those of you wondering about speeds. I have an FTTH connection, and the main page takes ~ 750ms -> 1200ms to load (slow by modern standards). All of the javascript/css is well-cached via CDN, and loads much faster (because it doesn't change that often), around 30ms.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

Hope there is a rollback plan!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

First time the Burkes would have won anything since yer man won a school debating competition!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

"This is simply a move to a server that is much closer to home. There will not be any changes to the layout, settings, appearance or functionality of the site."

Pity...

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Escapees

Well, no 'intended' changes I would think. But on a more important note, I think the boards.ie folk behind the scenes really need to put a time or range of time on the expected site outage. The vagueness on stuff like this and the lack of apparent risk management or contingency planning is worrying. Instead, the focus in the announcement seems to be on setting the service provider up as the fall guy should anything go wrong. Sure, it might all go swimmingly well, but at least take responsibility for the move and be planning for the worst etc.

Edit: Sorry, I see now the original announcement has been updated re: the outage time etc.

We are not looking for a fall out guy. This is not a game of pass the parcel with the blame bomb!

This switch is not controlled by our side. It is a joint collaboration between Boards.ie and its database and Vanilla/HigherLogic, their tech team are overseeing the switch. We have not yet received a minute by minute timeline of the switchover From Vanilla/HigherLogic Tech team. As I said before when updates are sent our way I will post them here. Once again my goal is absolute transparency on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

I've noticed 'skimlinks' seems to be slowing it down sometimes

• Registered Users Posts: 27,073 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Its a data center migration, which, to anyone who has done one before, is certainly not a trivial exercise. If it was me I wouldn't be down playing its potential for impact.

Are Vanilla already hosting live sites from this AMS DC?

Have we tried a background migration and confirmed it all works before we actually switch the live site?

Let’s really slow it right down and put it accessible only via a tor network. One could always go off and make a cup of tea as it loads up. 😂

Tbh I’ve not noticed it being overly slow, but on a fast running thread like Liveline (on good days) a bit of speed up would be welcome.

• Advertisement

Renting extra space on a server would involve more moola. Let’s just fly it 💸

Maybe they are actually trialling the migration, just as the last migration was tested. I’ll get my coat now 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 22,242 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

They're taking this

Putting it on a this

And flying it from Manitoba to a centra in Athlone

Nothing could possibly go wrong, unless they forget that American plugs are different or the server gets jet lagged

• Registered Users Posts: 81,825 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Is the move happening at the moment? Never before seen latencies when editing posts. Even seen a double edit open on a post when I tried to refresh a page.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,030 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Yeah getting lots of errors even when trying to thank a post.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,106 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,825 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Yeah it's really falling apart now. Hold on tight

402s, 505s, etc. all them fancy internet **** up numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,421 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Would be interesting to know some of the infrastructure in the background for the geeks amongst us, amount of servers, database size etc etc. But I digress.

Just to echo what others have said here in the past while, site appears not to load as it should every time, 500 errors, refresh appears to sort it for a while then happens again as you load another page etc.

It seems to have all started, seeing a lot of white phone screen and error messages.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

During the Vanilla migration, the database was upgraded to MS Access 2000.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,891 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement