Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So... GameStop is f**ked

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,875 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

They'll probably be selling the tills next, hopefully they forget to take the money out first 😂

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Not far off, they were selling off the big rolling screens when I was in there earlier. Would love if someone got it and used it for shmups.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I know you were saying that kinda tongue-in-cheek but have you seen how much retro gaming is going for these days? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

GameStop Liffey St have upped their discount again, so my wallet is counting the seconds until they shutter.

Think it was 50% off all games that aren’t Nintendo and even those are 30% off now I recall. Picked to absolute death, mind, but scoped a couple of gems still.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,875 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Slightly off topic, but I'm struggling to figure out how any of these brick and mortar game shops make money

I suppose since GameStop is closing the simple answer is that they don't

But here's an example that has me confused. My wife wanted to get a Switch game recently that was €60 in the Nintendo store. She ended up buying it from Smyth's for €35

I figured it would be a game card, but it was actually just a download key. So the whole act of getting a physical copy was in essence a less convenient method of buying the game digitally

But how did Smyth's make any money in that scenario? I get that the case didn't cost €35 to produce and distribute (albeit being an incredibly wasteful way to distribute a game) but that must be close to the price they bought the game from Nintendo at

I assume Nintendo is going to give the retailers a slight discount versus the price of the game in the store, otherwise all physical copies would cost more anyway

But I don't see any reason for them to give a huge discount to retailers. Particularly if they follow the same model as Steam and take around 30% of the sales revenue, which makes more expensive games more profitable, and they'd have to split that with the retailer for physical copies

Frankly there doesn't seem to be any inventive for Nintendo (or any other console developer) to sell physical copies of the digital store is way more profitable for them and eliminates lost revenue from trade ins

Anyway, the end result of my thinking is that it seems like Smyth's either sold that game at cost or at a loss. If that's the sales strategy then no wonder GameStop fell apart

The only profitable side of the business seemed to be trade ins and the merch, both of which were always unreliable markets

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,087 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Just got Advance Wars for switch in Gamestop for €36 40%off switch games in certain stores until Monday.

Non ninty bargain got Xbox wireless headset for 60% off €36 in total feeling pretty chuffed with advance wars and the headset for less than the rrp of the headset.

Advertisement