Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So... GameStop is f**ked

Options
  • 04-05-2023 10:50am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Closing down in a town near you...

I guess Sony will have to find somewhere else to sell the PSVR2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,087 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

10% off almost everything started yesterday they will be increasing that with all stores potentially closing on or by June 24 means Zelda maybe under €60 by next weekend when it's released.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,456 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I wonder will we see any strange delights dug out of warehouses and back rooms appearing randomly in bargain bins like those Jaguar games years ago.

Unboxed 3ds ds Wii Wii U PS3 and 360 games have popped up in a few shops for €1 each 90c now with the discount.

I have asked if there is anything strange being found and unfortunately if it is it won't be on the system so hopefully they will add a generic code for items like that as there has to be a treasure trove of stuff.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,819 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Are all stores closing or something? The Gorey store recently closed which is a pain as I've no local place to buy games anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Navan store closed before Xmas, so the whole lot are going now ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,874 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Swords store is going

Didn't see in the news if all the stores are closing, they said in the past that any underperforming stores will be shut

Can't see how any of them are doing well at the moment, so I expect they might cut it down to 1-2 stores plus the online side of the business

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Master of the Universe

One in Bray is closing down too, have a mate keeping an eye out for anything interesting that might pop up.

The last time I was in there many years ago it was more of a Funko Pop shop than anything else. A far cry from the days when it was just shelves and shelves of videogames. They're really more like geek shops now than the videogame shops of old.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

Based on the following notice on their website, I don't think it's unreasonable to think they see their days operating in Ireland as being very numbered: https://www.gamestop.ie/notice

In particular this bit: "GameStop will cease pre-ordering of some upcoming items and those who have pre-ordered already are asked to present your receipt in store to receive a full refund of the deposit paid in cash in connection with your pre-order. Customers who have paid their deposit in connection with upcoming products using their store credit will be offered a discount corresponding to their full trade-in value on the next purchase."

I suspect the merch store was the only way it could survive, digital downloads and gaming subscriptions have really made buying physical games pretty irrelevant, so it's down to selling the extra crap like Pokémon plushies and monster hunter figurines

True, it's very possible that all stores are closing and they're just trying to be stealthy about it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Only gamestop could do 10% off on a closing down sale. Good riddance.

All stores apparently gone by end of June the sale amount will increase in the coming weeks but what the **** kind of intellectual thinks closing down 10% reductions is a good idea.

The site page now has a massive banner everything must go on it.

They upped the price of loads of stock too in the past couple of days and weeks New Tales from The Borderlands was €25 on all consoles now it's twice as much with 10% off

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Scrolled through Funko after Funko on their site only to be met with the scaldiest discounts on stuff that is still cheaper elsewhere.

Master of the Universe

I'm a bit concerned that when future civilizations are excavating our remains out of the dirt in thousands of years, they'll think we somehow worshipped Funko Pops.

There's literally no real reason for them to exist. They'll be like the Easter Island statues. A completely bizarre oddity.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 DarraghMUFC

What do you mean you don't like getting 10c off a €15 funko? Gamestop - scummy to the end

My switch memory card slot broke last week physical games ftw

I like physical copies of games too, but after getting a PS plus subscription I've been playing most games as digital downloads. There's a few games I regard as keepers and I'd buy a disc copy, but a lot of them I'll get for free, play once and forget about it

For the publishers it's a bit of a no brainer, they can either pay manufacturing and distribution costs and split profits with a retailer, or just chuck them on a server somewhere and enjoy all the profits for themselves

I'm pretty sure there's already some people worshipping them, so future generations won't be wrong 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

Have a pre order for the new zelda collectors edition and the amibo next week. Hopefully they still ship them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Master of the Universe

Yeah It really does depend on the platform.

With the Switch, I can't bring myself to pay full whack for a digital game that's linked to just one console with no ability to resell - when I can get a physical copy for the same price (or sometimes less!) and do so much more with it.

I'll usually download games on special offer or cheaper indie ones, but my big titles for the Switch have always been physical copies.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

I'll be able to get to my local gamestop monday and see whats there. Be very interested to see if anything interesting comes up

I was talking to a friend yesterday and I was wondering if this means we'll see a gap for maybe some indie gaming shops in Ireland?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Called into the GS in Blanch yesterday.

Seemed like a busy spot!

I picked up Klonoa for the Switch, with a whole 2.99 off, and spent that on a couple of lousy unboxed 360 games, one of which went straight in the bin.

I might be that some branches have decent stuff, but then again, I am not sure it is worth the effort to go and look

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Knew it was going to be shite, went to my two nearest and can confirm it was, in fact, shite. No treasure trove of PS3 era stuff in Liffey St or Stephen's Green.

I think Dundrum has a basket of €1 unboxed games

I doubt there'll be many hidden gems to be found, I think GameStop have been doing a pretty serious effort over the past few years to offload older stock

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

It'll be interesting to watch how the discounts work over the following weeks, might see signs of desperation in their discounting and might also see the warehouse emptied of everything they can shift, so I'd continue to watch

Surely they would just sell the contents of the warehouse to someone like Smyth's?

I feel like the stores will just be getting rid of whatever they have and not getting any new stock unless there's pre-orders coming in before they shut down

• Advertisement

I'll buy at clearance prices but the days of going in to buy stuff to flip are dead and gone CeX have slashed the prices for trades there will be a few gems I'm sure but I'm too old and too tired to bother any more, all I want is Fire Emblem Three Houses Shin Megami Tensai V and Persona Strikers for Switch may the gods provide them and strike down any who get in my way.

Advertisement