Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you support a new Rural Political Party

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭endainoz

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭paddysdream

I have no interest in the NP/Farmers Alliance etc good bad or indifferent but read the above article and it makes no connection between Gript (never heard of them till now) and far right facists. Just mentions that they are co owned/founded by someone who was/is involved in anti abortion stuff.

Looking at Gript its a lot of culture wars sh1te,very similar to the site you linked to (has a nice article on "Profit Driven Agriculture,Cruel,Destructive and not Feeding the World

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

I think the farmer alliance party is not the answer really, it would have been much better if their was a Rural Alliance Party with prominent elected Independents, this route could see a party be really in contention.

Unless prominent Independents join them then I don't think they will be up to much

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭buffalobilly

Reading on farmers alliance Facebook page before they blocked me I honestly could not think of anything worse for the country than them. Now I would not be a big fan of some of the other organisations but at least if they’re asked a question they make an attempt to answer. If farmers alliance are asked an awkward question or if a comment made they don’t like your blocked from their page (I know I’m blocked)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,515 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Don’t mind saying I’m usually inclined to vote for the centralist parties.

I commend anyone putting themselves out there to try make a positive change they see the need for, it’s not a nice realm to operate in. I wouldn’t consider voting for them until I see manifesto and candidates.

as for do we need another party, ultimately the voters will decide. I doubt the big parties are worried.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭Rosahane

I'm a generation removed from farming but from a rural village background.

Family were always FG and politically active as I once was.

Left FG years ago but did continue to support them as the least worst option. That support has gone during Varadaker's time due to his woke globalist policies.

Would never vote for the SF/IRA though

If a viable Rural and or Farmer's party were to emerge I'd wholeheartedly support it and would be pretty certain that the rest of my extended family would also.

Dozens of votes in each of three different constituencies.

Most of my friends think the same!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Leaving aside the immature use of "woke", how can you (or your friends) possibly wholeheartedly support any political party when you are completely unaware of any of their policies?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,549 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Loads of people identify as farmers even though their families haven't farmed in generations or never did. My father in law never farmed and never will but he'd vote for a farming party because he likes to act like a farmer and have things farmers have like farm gates in his garden.

In fact I actually think calling it the Farmers Alliance will attract lots of people.

Post edited by John_Rambo on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,126 ✭✭✭Grueller

Thinking about this point you might be right. Getting the point across to all of the people working in ag related industries will be crucial to their success.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Strong support for the farmers alliance will depend on the quality of the canidates,if many of the ifa leadership went as canidates you could see them bringing up the rear of the election count as they are poor at getting any point across.You need articulate canidates at the very least

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,629 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

curious as to what people think of the first named candidate - a dairy farmer from cork with a 200 acre farm; probably from the wealthier end of the farming spectrum, from the sector with the highest profitability.

i've heard grumblings (which i don't know are representative or not) that the IFA is unfairly focussed on that particular type of farmer.

Them too. But I'm talking about the ones that have nothing to do with agriculture, have no connection with the land but identify as farmers. We all know them. They will 100% vote for a farmers party no matter who the candidates are.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,675 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

That's often the general grumbling and IFA don't do much to challenge that accusation made against them.

But their influence is very watery for all farm enterprises and their PR is almost always poor. So to say they're focused on dairy doesn't really mean much either way.

Re the first named candidate: 200-acre dairy farms would not be typical among farmers, but IFA would be happy (if that means anything) as they think they understand where the candidate might be coming from.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Perhaps not typical in parts of Ireland but not unusual in his constituency which is what maters

As for being a dairy farmer. If people are seeing that as a negative then they haven’t a hope

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,629 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

'they' being the people who might see that as a negative, or 'they' the candidate hasn't a hope?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

The party

• Registered Users Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

all farmers are now fascist 

well except this guy

• Registered Users Posts: 14,905 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

In Ireland you do not have to dig deep to find a large section of voters connections to farming communities. In the Netherlands where just 2% of the population is employed in agriculture their farmers party came from nowhere to now be the third largest party.

That is something the major Irish political parties, especially FG and FF should take account of and the reasons for it. FG seem to be waking up to that, but FF are still sleep-walking if the latest furore in the E.U. over rewetting is any indication. A farmers party does not have to directly win seats of either to do them damage. Eroding their vote to the extent that someone else wins seat would have the same effect.

Personally I am one of those you would not have to dig deep to find a connection to farming and I will have no problem voting for a farmers party.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I will have no problem voting for a farmers party.

But you've barely even heard a coherent manifesto! Or they could be full of chocolate teapots.

• Advertisement

Compared to those manifesto`s and promises I took at face value in the past, where, as soon as bums were on cabinet seats became works of fiction ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,515 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Do you think people vote for a party no matter who the candidate in their area is?? I’d thought that mentality was gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭selectamatic

It was very evident last time out when it came to SF and I've nothing against SF really tbh and indeed gave a pretty competent first time candidate of theirs my no. 2. and happily she got in.

But Yer wan below in Clare getting in despite being a prize headcase was very much a case of many people simply voting for anyone as long as they were SF.

I 100% know people that don't farm, never did, but see themselves as "farming stock" or indeed farmers because they have a small tractor and someones horse in a field they own that would vote for a farming party without looking in to one candidate.

I'm not talking about farmers here. Farmers wouldn't just blindly vote, they have skin in the game.

I doubt there are many who still vote based on the civil war, which I presume is what you are referring to, but I imagine there are many who vote for a party the candidate represents, rather than the candidate if they are voting based on what is contained in a manifesto.

Other than an independent T.D. or a grouping of such T.D.`s votes being needed when government majorities are tight, everyone knows that party backbench T.D.`s have little or no power to do anything for their constituencies.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,448 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

That's one of the few consistencies in electoral politics in nearly every country.

Nor will it ever change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭older by the day

Don't be too sure FG got a shock here in cork south west. There were two FG seats here twenty years ago. Last election was Holly cairns, mich Collins ind. And one FF, (can't think of his name he is so useless).

No harm using farm in the farm alliance name. The other party's are too wishy washy telling us they love us all. It's the quality of candidates that they should focus on. Well known if they can. I don't give a shitte if they were totally crazy. It's a protest vote I want for the local elections. It might be a wake up call before FFG sell the whole country out

• Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭893bet

A little distasteful at a first glance but perhaps verbalising what many think but are afraid to say (see the vote Peter Casey got!).

Ireland has done its part to rehouse and protect people but there has to come a point where the scales tips.

• Advertisement

Advertisement