Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People who will never be famous outside of Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

Sorry I didn't mean the politician, I meant the ambitious one Claire Byrne, who is more pleasing on the eye, but could just as easily have been in the Spice Girls, she pretends she is a Nolan Sister, she has range. Like anyone who buys a shed to sit in during a global pandemic and make like it is actually happening, has a real vison of how and where she is going. But without the intuition to know that garden sheds are filthy kips, full of all sorts of shight .it really highlights the where with all? That was a Sauna all the time, why say it was the garden shed? I get that she is most likely afraid of earwigs, but given she is one? Wha?

She could have at least put on some Dungarees , it is sloppy journalism all said.

Fair play Claire, I think you are mighty altogether. Like bigtime.

But they listen to AC/DC and Alicia Keyes in Durban and La Paz and Singapore. But you can't sit in a Garden Shed in Singapore, they are illegal as far as I know. As opposed to surviving in one in Durban. They haven't heard of you there, but they know who Marian was, they won't forget her either. We all miss Marian, all the time. I miss the sound of her dragging on a fag whilst winding up some overpaid spoofer on a Saturday morning. She couldn't tolerate it. She brought the news and showed it and then got stuck into it, she liked the truth. She knew we all deserve it.

Go for it Claire, get in there. Get out of the shed and into the bigtime, show us the truth. Show the world babe. Don't let Colin Farrell win.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,839 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Gallagher has a very significant following in France. The genres of blues, blues rock seemingly have always been popular there.

go into any music shop, independent or…. FNAC, Gibert Joseph etc and he’ll have a huge section to rival AC/DC, Black Sabbath etc…

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Bracken81

He didn't last too long on BBC radio if I remember rightly

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭NattyO

That lad that fell on the ice.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭GavPJ

Una Healy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭its_steve116

The Saturdays, of whom she was a member, were one of the big four British girl groups of the 00s, along with Atomic Kitten, the Sugababes and Girls Aloud.

It's only as a solo country singer that she hasn't had much international success.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,954 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Some people would watch the late late show if Larry Murphy was the presenter. Its the same way they always go to mass on a Sunday, just because its what they have always done. I have seen my parents talk about how awful it is but they still watch it every Friday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

Oh yes, he cannot be anti-Semitic as he has plenty of Jewish friends*

So just ignore his anti-Semitic comments?

Now all he needs are Irish friends, black friends and men, pregnant friends

*or far right Zionists, Islamophobes and British nationalists/loyalists, none of which are likely Jewish

Show me anyone who knew about the Holocaust only from Myers ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

That’s like saying you can’t have a black friend and be racist.

Hell even my black friend is racist; imagine that. Maybe because but we can still overcome and put 1 and 1 together regardless

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭techman1

You are completely wrong on that, he is even more famous now than he was during his lifetime thanks to YouTube. He was never a quintessential irish act anyway, in many cases he was better known abroad than in Ireland during his lifetime because of his extensive touring yet he was a bit off the radar in Ireland during the 80s. There were many acts that were big here during the eighties but are now forgotten about, Rory Gallagher is the complete opposite to that. If you goto ballyshannon for the festival it is thronged with international fans from Germany, Holland, UK France, the USA. You won't see anything like that for anything else in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭The Moist Buddha

• Registered Users Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

With respect, his whole petitioning the Jewish Council for support was pathetic, he was found out as just another grifter and used the same ole’ “plenty of friends who are x,y and z” when they’re under pressure.

The hole he dug for himself TWICE, once with the article, then his defence of it on British (BBC) radio (which he declined to sue - too afraid of upsetting his homeland of course - but happy to sue RTÉ - before he lost that payout aswell) was actually hilarious

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

Mick was the best. Man Miley Byrne ,whup!!

Some man. I remember him having a quite pint in Bolands in Rathmayonaise around 10 or 15 years ago one saturday morning. He was reading the Hot Press and chuffin away on a packet of Carrolls. Pure gent, great actor. Class apart.

Stuttering at a seductive Biddy in her cozy sitting room the night he said " welll, what do you reckon like, " Ah what do you mean Miley , wha are you saying to me? " she purred back at him, ....

Well, ahem, do you reckon ...... do you reckon we should maybe .... like sort of ..... Tie the auld knot like ? "

Goosepumps.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭NattyO

The Jewish council of Ireland and several other Jewish representative groups said his comments weren't antisemitic.

Do you know better than them? Are you one of those people that get upset on behalf of others?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Henry Sellers.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,107 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

About 90% of the guests on the Late Late Show.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭bassy

Seamus Moore the hoor on tour, massive in cricklewood.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Gray has sold out gigs across Australia and New Zealand in the last few months, he's very well known outside Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭The Moist Buddha

Amanda Brunker

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,677 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

GAA players. They are put on a huge pedestal by the local parish, the banks, the schools etc which no doubts adds to the enormous ego some of them strut around with..

Once they leave this little dot of an island absolutely nobody knows who they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,127 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

Bill Cullen, Jackie Lavin, Gerald Kean, Lisa Murphy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Like You getting upset on behalf of Kevin Myers? I can think of more worthwhile hills to die on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭leath_dub

I often wonder who Henry Sellers was based on. Was it Wogan?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭CPTM

I'm trying to think of people who could actually be internationally famous but it's almost like they don't want to be. The Coronas come to mind. I'm not a massive fan, but they're a very professional group, buckets of experience, decent pop songs. But just seem to be content working within the Irish circuit bar a couple gigs abroad which are mostly on small stages at minor music festivals.

Is Daniel O'D famous internationally or did he just stick to the Irish circuit as well for the most part?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

It's already been mentioned but Rory Gallagher is basically the opposite of this, bigger outside Ireland than in.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,106 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

He has a certain profile on that music scene globally.

I don't know how much of his chart sales are from NI, but Wikipedia shows his albums charting in UK. He was on Top of the Pops at least once, maybe more.

e.g.  British Country Music Awards International Artist of the Year 1995

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭CPTM

Maybe that's for all the Irish expats living over there 😅

But on a serious note he is well known abroad to a certain generation. White Ladder alone was platinum in 5 other countries including 2.4 million sales in the USA.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,464 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

The quiz show was certainly based on Going for Gold, presented by Henry Kelly, Irish ex-pat working for the Beeb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭moonage

Thelma Mansfield.

Advertisement