Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Picard 3x08- 'Surrender' ~~ { ** Spoilers Within ** }

Options
  • 06-04-2023 7:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭

Picard 3x08- 'Surrender' ~~ { ** Spoilers Within ** } Warning: This thread will contain spoilers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Really 7am. How about letting someone else start the thread lol?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Ah no, it was a far more reasonable 8am! Different time zone!

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭eadrom

After a few shaky episodes of mid-season bloat, this one feels like we're back on track. Some silliness here and there but mostly solid. Great seeing the gang back together and acting more-or-less like their old selves.

Riker and Worf in particular are such a joy to watch, I absolutely hope they stick around and do some more Trek in some capacity after this show is done.

And Seven, obviously. Although I fully expect she'll be back to head up a new show.

Actually giving Troi something to do with her counselling skills too.

This is good stuff anyway. Looking forward to the final two.

And everyone gets an action jacket! Hard to keep track of all the different merchandising opportunities uniform variants but those things look great.

Post edited by eadrom on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Back on track after the last episode, few niggles here and there, but a solid episode. The one liners in this season also seem to be far better written. Shaw obviously has had some of the best, but I loved Worfs "One's personal space is a right" and Picards comment about Geordi having pedestrian tastes in Wine. Quips that fit the character, rather than just sounding smart.

I enjoyed the data/lore scenes. Which is weird because it is usually the type of trite stuff that irritates me, but I think Brent Spiner did a great job. I do also appreciate that it means we’ll avoid the bait and switch of Lore taking over Data for a moment of inevitable betrayal. Though Data with neck problems, nah. They also seem to have completely forgotten about the emotion chip. We know that Data has experienced emotions before, being important plot points in at least two of the TNG films as well as several momentary parts of TNG episodes. Not the worst omission, but lazy. 

I like the new bridge evacuation port through the viewscreen. They always looked a bit stupid on the redressed sets in TNG, but I thought it looked pretty awesome here. Guess we’ll find out who the remaining bad is. I’m guessing that the all consuming darkness will prove to be an issue in the last two episodes. They are somewhat dragging it out, and to be honest it’s not the most interesting of plot points. No fault of the actor, I quite like him, but the mystery isn’t particularly engaging me, I think maybe because it has been dragged out a bit too long for my tastes. Though it could be after season 2 of Picard door based mysteries aren’t my cup of tea. 

Wasn't too sad to see the back of Vadic. Plummer did a grand job, but the past two episodes of monologging were beginning to grate. Of course now they need to bring the actual big bad to the fore, and with two episodes left I'm presuming it's someone well know to us. Hopefully they pull it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I still can not believe how easy Vadic took over the bridge in the last episode and that Shaw or Seven did not have a quick lockout password for the bridge like Picard or Janeway or even Kirk would have had on their bridges and then she just presses a button to do whatever she wants. I am glad she is good now. She was not a good or scary villain just a vile rude villain.

Also why did we not see her coming out through the evac hatch or did it show it and I just missed it? Was dissapointed in that.

The Titan cloaking cool.

Why did they not do that before? Did Worf just fit it.

The Data scenes were nice.

So while a better episode than the last one it was still not the best episode. Let's hope the last two are better.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,161 ✭✭✭corkie

Another enjoyable episode, after the shorter episode last week, this seemed and felt longer.

Cliffhanger to end the episode on?

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I'm going to be inconsolable when this ends.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,078 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

A solid episode, with some great moments and a few annoying ones.

Vadic did have a few great lines, particularly the out of no-where off-hand one about keeping the chair.

Worf's few lines were great again.

The Troi/Riker change is explained, and instead casts the Nepenthe episode in a more tragic light. I do appreciate the attention to past detail and consistency in this.

Worf vapourising the bodies, again I appreciate the detail.

The annoying elements though:

Raffi ninja-ing her way along a corridor even though the changeling grunts have disruptors.

The Data/Lore thing was formulaic and predictable.

At least another surprise cameo in the form of Spot, but I suspect they recast him.

No Jack reveal, but the next episode may be another psychic realm one like season 2 had.

The most irritating thing is showing Vadic freezing in space. Bodies in space don't freeze instantly. It's almost the opposite, they hold their heat even longer instead. For an evolved changeling with mixed semi solid organs and viscous liquid elements, they could have gone for a spectacular shot of Vadic boiling away while still alive. But instead went with a lazy and wrong sci-fi trope.

Seven's "get off my bridge" line was too cheesy, and only brought to mind Harrison Ford in Air Force One. It could be a reference, but it's an odd one to make. Is there anything in Trek it could refer to instead? Janeway may have said something similar a few times, but I don't recall instance iconic enough to call back to.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭geecee

wasn't that Leias thermal detonator that Jack had on the bridge?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,216 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Great episode.

Loved some of the quotes.

While the Data thing was predictable it was done well.

Vadic was a great villain. Played the role brilliantly.

Poor Vulcan lady.

Great to have the whole gang around the table.

Loved the music.

This season is like a movie.

Couple things.....

Why the fcuk couldnt season two have been this!!

Please dont fcuk it up like the end of season one.

If it's the Pai Wraiths cause Jack opened some orb as a kid or something......and DS9 crew are not involved, that be very disappointing.

Did we ever find out what Vadics changeling crew actually were?

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,418 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Thought it was pretty boring and very cliche with it's "headspace" battle for Data and the "Ill kill a person every 10mins" bit.

Also why is the ship full of unarmed crew. Cowering like children to make it worse. Man Starfleet has gone soft.

As others have said Riker and Worf are killing it. They are really having fun with it. Also the Observation Lounge scene was brilliantly warm and fuzzy.

Surely Jack being a Path Wraith is almost confirmed now.

Starfleet crew have always gone around unarmed until a situation called for security teams.

Pitch black, no help coming, and shape-shifting monsters in the dark. Probably going to hide until a plan can be put together.

Surely they would all arm when the original trap was put in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,815 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I assume they took Picard's body with them.

Now what's behind the door? Female voice.

While I've only seen some of TNG so don't have the connection with it others would, it was really cool seeing them all together like that. And didn't spoil it by including Raffi.

Though I probably would've allowed Seven or even Shaw.

Seeing the comments here calling it a solid episode just makes me thinking they're missing the f-word before "solid", which seemed an appropriate parting line for her.

"Now what's behind the door?"

Dublin Zoo. It's always Dublin Zoo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭FGR

Enjoyed it; the only downsides were, as usual, the inclusion of Raffi. Her character is growing on me but anything to do with the new main characters and their back stories irks me; especially being able to take out five heavily armed changelings with ease. Without plot armour she would have been turned to ash instantly. My only hope is they keep Elnor out of the rest of the season - but I have a bad feeling about this.

I also liked the tng cast being sat in the briefing room - still don't know why Shaw is rarely there, never mind his actual senior staff who I have no doubt would like to know what's actually going on.

Otherwise, good action. I hope they'll revisit the museum and go to the D. Imagine seeing the cast on the bridge. No doubt it would not be cheap to rebuild that set but man it would be worth it for nostalgia alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,895 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Lol.

Good episode. Really hope it turns out Jack is possessed by a Pah Wraith.

Glad to see the Vadic part of the story wrapped up with plenty of time for fun stuff in the last two episodes.

Was annoyed at first that they brought Data back again but this time round it feels like he's finally getting what I always wanted for him, to be human or not far off it. I've been waiting for that since I first watched TNG.

The Raffi sword fight was a bit silly. Data could easily have neutralised them without risking her life.

T'Veen, damn, I'll miss her. Guess someone had to go to keep the stakes real.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,815 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Can just picture Deanna helping Jack in opening the door by leading him in a recitation of the olden rhyme "Knock knock, open wide...."

Of course, the ending will see Jack saved/helped by his half brother.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Why destroy the shrike? Massively powerful ship with all sorts of advanced weapons, taking it back for R&D would be a huge priority surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,260 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Thoroughly enjoyed that - all sat round the table gave me the feels, Deanna felt shoe-horned in to give her something to do (anyone remember the focused light on her eyes in the movie - so crass)

Liked Vadic and her monologues but knew she wasn't long for this world

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭Sparko

It was a delight to see them all around the table again. I was just so relieved it didn't pan out to show Raffi was also in the room.

"Hey J-L, I'm here too!"

All those weapons came from a Starfleet R&D site.

Someone had already rebuilt the bridge. Not sure how practical it is to film in though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭Evade

It was probably still crewed by changelings.

Good episode this week. Raffi is kind of growing on me, I wish she was this from the start without the smack-headedness and family problems. It was nice to see the crew in the magic meeting room again, it's a pity Starfleet don't do posthumous promotions or we could have had an almost full table of captain and above. I'm cautiously optimistic they won't mess things up in the end.

I'm starting to think the red door voices subtitle mistake from a few episodes ago was a massive red herring because it would really need some shoehorning to get it to fit in the last two episodes.

We're pretty much left with our plucky heroes in one little ship facing down a changing controlled armada, seems familiar.

Something that only occurred to me while watching this episode is why does everyone assume it's the Picard half of Jack that gave him superpowers? Beverly is two for two with superpowered children, probably has something to do with that ghost her matrilineal line all fucked.

Any takers on the last episode being titled "... must come to an end"?

That slow flyby of the Titan with Trek Music, TMP & WOK vibes. Loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Fcukin' solids!

Best trek since DS9,

Just a pity René Auberjonois died, would have liked to have seen him as Odo again :/

• Registered Users Posts: 45,055 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Vadic gone to easy abd troi trusted to just unlock jack way too easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭Sparko

I remember a changeling in DS9 who shapeshifted into some sort of space dwelling creature which I briefly suspected Vadic might do but I guess this new form of changeling can't do that with their new fleshy parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

star wars sequels didn’t put Luke Lea and Han in a room together….. big win for Star Trek

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Hmmm shouldn't we check Troi isn't a changling, ah who cares Data is back. Ok but don't we already know changlings can survive easily in a vacuum (insert specific DS9 episode reference where Odo meets a travelling changling), look ignore that Data is back and hey look spot too, hang on a second wasn't the Shrike almost impossible to destroy before now. Move aside idiot Data is back.

Advertisement