Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much can i lodge to my bank account?

Options
  • 04-04-2023 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭

Is there a limit i can lodge to my bank account in one transaction above which the bank would have to notify the authorities, revenue etc?

Post edited by Jim2007 on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,547 ✭✭✭baldbear

I lodged about 30k in one go a couple of years ago and they just asked what they should note it down as, so I said a gift.

I think they just keep a record and revenue only look at if you are ever under investigation. Or if the bank employee thinks you are dodgy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭28064212

No, for obvious reasons. If there was a hard €10,000 limit (for example), every criminal would just lodge €9,999 every time and never have to worry. Banks will apply a number of metrics to decide whether they need to notify authorities, and those metrics are not public information. A €5000 lodgement to an account that has been receiving €100 a month for years may trigger a notification ; a €50,000 lodgement to an account that regularly deals in such amounts may not

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Rockfish

Mine would be a cheque for €7,100, a gift, paid into a savings account which would never have had anything like that lodged before

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭wildwillow

No problem lodging it. But it may be taxable depending on who gave it to you. It’s well over the €3000 small gift exemption.

Could it be gifted over three years if this is the case, or come from more than one person. If it’s a relation you are probably within the limits.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

OP there is not restrictions on who much you can lodge so long as it is legitimate and you have evidence to support the transactions. Now as we are not here to advise on how to skirt around MLA requirements. I am closing the thread.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement