Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social housing at Castletroy (Newtown Meadows)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

The real problem is the law not being enforced, if it was you'd get the same people causing zero trouble

The old joke, if you rob €150 you get a suspended sentence, if you don't pay your TV licence you get 6 months, so rob €150 and pay your TV licence off it

• Registered Users Posts: 9 whatdastory

Radio covered this in detail this morning. Two apartment blocks in Newtown Meadows will all be social nothing coming to market. The one beside chalke garage, none coming to market, all been bought by the state.

Both developments to have around 40% social EACH

I'll stay communiting from Offaly for the time being!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 hypheni

Finally I got my answer after moving in.. 😎

Sorry to hear. Nice area all the same. What do the other residents think of it? There's time yet if everyone got onto the council, councillor and TDs

I did more digging myself and it seems rightsizing also includes people from other social housing. Nightmare

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭TedBundysDriver

Not everyone in social housing is on social welfare you realise this right?

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

“The only time you look in your neighbor's bowl is to make sure that they have enough. You don't look in your neighbor's bowl to see if you have as much as them.”

― Louis C.K.

If someone is in social housing, there's a process to get on that list, and throughout there are checks and balances. Sometimes this may seem unfair, but that may be because we don't have all the information. Or maybe someone is gaming the system. If they are, then there should be a method of reporting issues.

This is all down to government policy. If you're unhappy with government policy, then speak up when the politicians come knocking.

No more dog whistling about extended families, horse-drawn carriages, or ornate headstones, please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭homingbird

I am happy with this keep them all in the one area easy to police considering there cousins are across the road from chalkes in the caravan park. they will be kept out of my estate as it is a old estate with prices they couldnt afford.

Easy to police

Yeah if you ever see a cop in that area it's because he's looking for the nearest donut shop or looking for tax/insurance discs

Why in Ireland is the term "social housing" loaded?

Pity we cannot take a leaf from the continental experience.

• Advertisement

The problem is that social housing here usually means lower income households... The Viennese idea is a good one though

I understand that anyone can get social housing in many European countries and that their rent is related to their income. So Dr. John pays more that Mary the dental assistant. It fosters exposure to people of all income levels which might be inspiring to others.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭HGVRHKYY

This is the way it should be done, especially now that we're seeing young people starting out in their careers completely unable to afford to have any sense of independence with outrageous rents. This is causing staff shortages in various sectors, including Gards and nurses and teachers and the overall civil service. But of course you'll have the older generation spiteful towards any such initiatives to help the youth in this country with the usual "I suffered so you should suffer too" mentality, and more worried about their home's value even though they're going to live there until they die anyway (meanwhile their kids/grandkids are increasingly living at home into their 30s and unable to have families)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭Quitelife

Anyone that works in low paid jobs should be helped in social housing definetly...its those who never worked or refuse to work that should not be entertained.

ANd anyone who refuses the offer of ahouse should be removed from the housing list and directed to the nearest park bench.

There are other benefits. Dr John and assistant Mary will be paying 30% of income to the council until they die, be that a salary or a pension. They will never have home ownership but they will never be turfed out either

After their deaths the council start the process again. Dr John would probably be better off owning his own home, but he would be much older doing so if he went down that line

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭HGVRHKYY

Fully agree with that, anyone in full-time employment deserves to be able to afford a roof over their head and the opportunity for upwards mobility. I believe a good way to approach it would be having 100% social housing developments for individuals who choose to remain on the dole long-term so the wasters can endure each other, and then mixed housing developments for everyone else who actually gets off their holes and contributes towards society. This would act as encouragement to better one's living situation by simply bettering one's life overall and progressing as a person and working towards self reliance and independence instead of remaining as a permanent leech to the rest of the people in society.

Have the housing done in a way that people are encouraged to be able to save towards deposits and eventually buy a place for themselves, to free up their public housing unit for the next person trying to get established. We'd have a much happier and productive society as a result, for individuals who actually do something for themselves at least

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Edward1972

Hello

I have opened and closed 3 similar businesses over the last 15 years since the recession closed our 45 year old family business. All funded by myself and enterprise ireland alongside microfinance ireland who helped as well.

Covid shut down my last one . I certainly didn't see that coming after all the work that was put in.

My relationship broke up with the stress of financial problems and although I have always been there for my 15 yr old child , he is ashamed that I have arrived in a situation of homelessness..

I am currently working but this is extremely difficult and depressing when my wages just pay for maintenance ( which I gladly pay) and keeping a van on the road.

I have technically been homeless for 3 years now bouncing from one Impossible accommodation nightmare to the next.

My mental health has been affected, not seriously but enough to be very depressed some of the time.I always put a positive attitude to things but that's getting harder especially now I don't see my son so much.

I have applied for social housing at 51yrs of age as I don't want to go abroad and away from my child.

My question is

Am I a person who deserves social housing .

I have payed taxes all my life but between that recession and covid I have lost anything I gained.

I'd go again but try it ( being positive creative confident)living in your van..

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭niallers1

You absolutely do deserve it Edward. You are exactly the person it should be for. I think people here are referring to the people with the intergenerational hand out that offer nothing to society except anti social behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Jose Maria

Just heard a scrote who was given a free house in that new estate was caught breaking into cars in the estate, you couldn't make it up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭badboyblast

Some of the posts on this page are shocking and generalising towards certain groups of people as well as showing discrimination towards these people.I have a friend who falls under the threshold to qualify for one of these houses and has qualified for one and is moving in soon, he will pay 1,250 Euros Approx to one of the housing groups mentioned per month in rent.

He works in full time employment and has young kids, he is in need of housing, he is a regular guy , a father, maybe this will give the people with the pitch forks from their "posh" area some perspective as to who is getting these houses, ye should be ashamed of yourselves some of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭mart 23

Is there such a thing as a free house in Limerick.

Advertisement