Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social housing at Castletroy (Newtown Meadows)

Options
  • 03-04-2023 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

I am looking at a newly built property in Newtown Meadows, Castletroy, Limerick. Now, the only thing that is a bit concerning to me is the social housing allotment over there. There is a 4-story apartment being built for the social housing and when I asked the proper agent, he mentioned that is for elderly people and already sold to Solus Housing (might be wrong with the name).

My query is, anyone knows about this Solus housing/ Social housing / Elderly accommodation allocation in Newtown Manor / Meadows?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,396 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

The developer is required by law to give (or sell?) 10% of any new development to an approved housing body for social housing. So if you can find out how many houses the estate is going to have then 10% of those will be social housing

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Jose Maria

if a housing charity buys the whole lot up, could it be 100%? I've heard the new estate at Coonagh roundabout has been fully bought up by a housing charity

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

It is 20%. You can see the breakdown of the types of applicants here:

About 70% of those on the housing list in Limerick are not working. So if you have an estate with 100 houses, 20 will got to social housing and all other things being equal, 14 of them will be for people who are not working. Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 bannedboyband

The local councils are buying up houses in all established older areas all throughout Ireland. It's their plan to integrate everyone and all. The only way you can avoid it for now is to buy out the Country or buy in an upper class area with houses costing double the average and upwards. Everyone gets a share of the *removed *these Days. For far too long decent people in lower class areas had to endure it all.

Post edited by yop on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

Unlikely that you will get to the 20% (minimum) level in an older area though.

Post edited by yop on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭boetstark

LCCC just spent 500k on a 5 bedroom detached house in our area. This considered a good established area. House is being given over to an approved housing body. Crazy times.

Post edited by yop on

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭HGVRHKYY

No doubt there'll be a lot of them in arrears down the line as well, not even paying the token rents

At least with new builds you know which ones are council and not before you buy and councils are unlikely to buy more later down the line.

When my next-door neighbours sold it was to the council... And, in fairness, the tennants they got in are grand, salt of the earth etc. although I do accept that others aren't as lucky as me

As far as I'm aware the council doesn't buy more than 10% or maybe 20% of the houses in an established area! The event figure I don't know but there is a limit

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭HGVRHKYY

Perfect summation of how private renters are being absolutely taken for a ride. The supply of private rentals is being reduced by the state due to their incompetence in building and providing public housing, which means private renters are left with even more inflated rents. All funded by our taxes, to provide social housing to many people which are basically entitled wasters and will actively degrade the peace of areas they live in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭Quitelife

It is galling to see Familys who never worked a day in their lives getting fine houses for token rent whilst decent people working use all their income to rent or pay their mortgage and have less disposable income than those who never worked.

There is a few very large extended familys in Limerick city & County who seem to be allowed never work who are laughing at the tax payers of LImerick and our politicans are very silent on the matter for fear of been called out for discrimination .

I haven't heard of any such families, can you specify which ones and do you have proof or are you just regurgitating lines from the daily hail? Important to remember that somebody who is paying token rent in these places is on token income

Your attitude sickens me. Token income is basically disposable income because these people have no outgoings. Social welfare benefit is only part of their income , free everything in addition.

LCC bought a 5 bed detached house in The grange raheen for 498k. Another 50k is being spent on it. Focus ireland have put a homeless irish family in the house , both are unemployed.

Novas handed over keys of a 4 bed semi in station road Adare last week to an asian man. He is married with 3 children. He actually admited brazenly to the official that the taxi in driveway was his. He was driving it for cash in hand. The Novas official is my workmates first cousin.

Is that enough.

We paid alot of money for our house in raheen 20 years ago. A new developement has got permission right behind us. Terrace houses and apartments to ease the homeless crisis.

We want to move but almost 100k has been wiped off value of our house because of this developement and an imposed walkway from it right outside our door. It was a cul de sac.

Everyday cars , windows and garden furniture getting covered in construction dust despite being cleaned only last week again.

So forgive me if i am a nimby or a complainer because this **** is hitting me in the pocket and thats not hearsay.

Sick to the teeth of this dump of a country.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,340 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Well said. The place is a kip in fairness.

This 'nimby' bolloxology is frustrating. You have every right to be pissed off

That's pretty bad now that novas knowingly gave a taxi driver working for cash a house in adare... These houses are meant to be for homeless who can't rub 2 pennies together to put a roof over their heads. I like to believe this is the exception than the rule

Your argument about the development is fair though, I hope you raised an objection with the council and subsequently to ABP about that and I hope one of them sides with you! Was out for a walk today and passed at least 10 seemingly derelict houses along rosbrien/Edward Street, why are they not being brought back into use instead of building where they're not needed?

Loads of objections which were disregarded completely by an absolute nightmare senior planner. It is gone to ABP but not too hopeful.

You are so correct about derelict houses though.

Interesting article I read the other day that I only managed to find now

Interesting if you scroll about half way down that page

The appeals board points out the development plan states that tall buildings outside the city centre will only be permitted at designated centres.

The development plan referenced is the Limerick Development Plan 2022-2028.

Limerick council planners seem to approve anything and everything these days regardless of the impact of the public but I'd say you're 50/50 with ABP

• Registered Users Posts: 9 whatdastory

I am also looking at a new home here, moving to Limerick. I know an approved housing body bought a block of apartments (31 homes) for social housing. But does anybody know who bought they other block? They look almost finished and never went up for sale. So I would imagine they were bougut too.

The Development beside the garage on the Dublin rd. is the same. Social homes also, I think maybe 50 homes. So I was wondering they when come up for sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 hypheni

If you are asking about approved housing body who bought apartment in Newtown Meadows in Limerick, they could be Solus House, some approved body for providing housing to the elderly. That's what I have told by the sale agent GVM. If you can find more info on this please do post.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Agree with most of your comments but not everyone on social welfare is scum or wasters as you so eloquently put it ........I'm living in a council estate of 14 houses and in 13 of them you'll find some fantastic people some don't work , some do what they can (myself) I was given a house because of my illness and it'd shame me to be put in the same bracket as the type of folks your clearly talking about I'm on disability and I'm still allowed work a little bit so I do

I'm not one of these that gets offended easily but seriously pull your oars in tarring everyone with the same brush

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 hypheni

@brianregan09 Its grand that you got a house and with your disability and you are working too. I have one of the chap in my company who works as an accessibility software tester and is a wonderful soul. Respect!!

Overall, the thing is builder/agent should be vocal about the position of the estate and who is buying what. With so much of demand in Irish housing space even if 50% houses are gone in social, people will still buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pigtown

That info should be available on the planning website. Look for the Part V allocation. There will be a map showing which units are sold for social/affordable housing.

The problem with the Newtown development is that there have been so many alterations to the plans that it's tricky to find the most up to date one

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭mykrodot

Its everywhere. All over the country. (but I appreciate this is a Limerick thread, I mentioned it so you don't feel like the only ones!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Bear in mind that "social " accommodation is not solely for the benefit of the unwaged but also for the benefit of low income earners who work full time.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭mykrodot

yes absolutely, I lived in an estate in Meath until a year ago with 900 units, some owner occupied, some private rental, some social housing. It was actually fine in my part but there was a significant drugs problem also in the estate in a certain area where there was a high rate of unemployment and young men hanging around all day. It was a lovely place when I moved there in 2012, but people were getting nervous about what was ahead for their kids and grandkids. It was changing, our community garden smashed up regularly, regular Garda visits to the same houses and at one stage Armed Response Unit.

I sold a year ago to be closer in West Limerick/Kerry to family.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 whatdastory

A mate of mine in the corporation sent me this

gov.ie/pdf/?file=https://assets.gov.ie/253709/ffc71de1-806a-4de7-a765-e8ece4e86a94.pdf#page=null

I can't post links so just put www. At the front

cluid have bought both apartment blocks in netown meadows for social housing something along the lines of 64 apartments

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭SNNUS

The Irish government love kicking the working class in the groin, scrape by and pay mortgage etc whilst the family next door do nothing and everything payed.

I prefer the old way, start out in a rough area and work your way out, no incentive now, no new houses should be given to social.

People getting fre houses seem to have no problem buying decent cars or buying expensive headstones , Horse drawn carriages for communions etc.

Front page of this weeks Limerick Post on about Spike in Anti Social Behaviour in Castletroy/Annacotty Area , some great facilities & Sports organisations in Castletroy but a few large extended families allowed ruin it for everyone else similar to many other parts of Limerick city & County

Just to be clear. There's no such thing as a free house (or indeed a fre house.) Council house occupiers are tenants who pay rent to the council based on the income levels of the household. The tenants will never own their homes unlike you or me and while some will abuse the system and have nice cars and headstones the vast majority don't.

Has the question ever been asked of your local politicians why people who can clearly afford the nice things you listed are being placed in these homes ahead of the families who struggle to put food on the table?

The antisocial behaviour is all over the city, county and country and not confined just to estates with council housing. It would stop fairly quickly as well if there was a stronger police presence and a more meaningful courts service to deter this behaviour

It's auful that it happens now in annacotty/castletroy but the blame for this is not on the council building homes for those that need them

• Advertisement

Plenty of decent people living and getting council houses .

But to be fair for those who don’t /won’t work the percentage of their dole they pay in rent is very low percentage wise compared to a worker having to go pay their own rent .

Theres a section of Irish society with very large families with generations who never worked and like ruining lives of those living beside them as well . These people are the problem but nobody tells the truth any more only letting the problem get worse and worse each passing year and as these family’s get larger and larger other areas have no houses left so some have to be housed in Castletroy/ Monaleen until that gets full as well .

Advertisement