Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Picard 3x07- 'Dominion' ~~ { ** Spoilers Within ** }

Options
  • 30-03-2023 8:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭

Picard 3x07- 'Dominion' ~~ { ** Spoilers Within ** } Warning: This thread will contain spoilers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

OK so a lot in this episode that is either wrong or does not make sense.

For one wheels on trolleys in the 24th or the 24th or 25th century Federation lap lol I doubt it. They would hover. Also about the virus Starfleet did not officially use it on the Changelings Section 31 did and yet not a single mention of them and again they did not bring the cure to them Odo did though help from Doctor Bashir and Chief O' Brian by getting it from the mind of the section 31 officer who's name I forget.

Ye I really think they should have just called this episode "Vadic" as its mostly about her.

Oh and bringing that Data/Lore thing on board the Titan really was not clever.

So now Jack is telepathic too.

Oh the Bridge fell far too easily.

So ye not perfect and no where near as good as all the episodes before it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,078 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

It's a bit of a frustrating episode.

The surprise cameo, well, pseudo cameo, didn't add to the plot in the way Ro Larens did.

It fills in quite a bit, yet also still leaves other main threads dangling, or teased further. Jacks passenger is repeatedly teased again and again, but looks like it's just to setup that reveal in the next episode.

Ship in the bottle episodes like this must be fairly cheap though, something that seems to also apply to the season as a whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭eadrom

Pretty crap, to be fair. Forty minutes of people standing saying plot to each other. Some of the plot sounded interesting, some of it didn't, but may as well have been reading the wiki article.

Definitely missing a lot of energy without Riker. Hang on, wasn't he and Troi in Vadic's custody at the end of the last episode? Where'd they go? Bit of a setup without pay-off there, or maybe I missed a bit of the never-ending exposition dialog that explained it away.

Killing Lore with friendship didn't work for me. Felt entirely like the writers writing for the Reddit comments, giving the fans the Data / Geordi goodbye scene they always wanted. The writing and performances just didn't sell it.

Obviously a bit of a bottle episode anyway, with all the action (and not much of it) taking place in a single location and without some of the usual bigger names (Riker, Worf, Rafi) or fancy extras. Just wish they had done something more singularly interesting with it and converted some of those plot points into actual visual story-telling in some other episode(s).

Not quite insultingly bad, but definitely the weakest of the season so far.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I have mixed feelings about the episode. A good episode and one that was needed (plot explanation and Vadic reveal -she had been a very one-dimensional character) but not as good as what we have seen so far. Some of the camerawork with Jack and Sidney being chased was comical. They should have been captured/killed in seconds.

Enjoyed the Geordie/Data moment. The forced Picard/Data friendship was painful in S1.

We need an answer to what is up with Jack next week. I feel next week will probably be a similar vibe (explaining and revealing more) and will get everyone back together for a two-part finale.

7/10

• Registered Users Posts: 7,161 ✭✭✭corkie

Enjoyable but as others have said a weak episode.

@AMKC Odo did though help from Doctor Bashir and Chief O' Brian by getting it from the mind of the section 31 officer who's name I forget.

Ironically, it was a Federation doctor who was able to cure the Founders. Julian Bashir, the chief medical officer of space stationDeep Space 9, realized that Section 31 was responsible for the disease. He captured Section 31 agent Luther Sloan and used a multitronic engrammatic interpreter to extract the cure.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Advertisement

@AMKC --

and again they did not bring the cure to them Odo did though help from Doctor Bashir and Chief O' Brian

Vadic did correct them on that later in the episode. Picard and co. said that they gave the changelings the cure, Vadic snaps back that they didn't, they only developed one and "one of our own" had to bring it to the link.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

One thing I don't get is earlier in the season when the Titan was dead in the nebula and was falling into the gravity well, Vadic just let it happen and didn't try to stop it even though she is trying to capture Jack. He would have died if the crew of the Titan didn't figure out a way to get enough power to get away from the gravity well. So, why was she ok with the Titan being destroyed and Jack dying if she needs him.

Why does she even need Jack. Picard said she need Picard's DNA and Jack's blood to make a perfect copy. Why not just take Picard when he was chilling in the vineyard. His blood would surely work as well as Jack's.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,078 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Now that we've gotten Vadic's back story, there's still a major chunk I don't get. If she was the one who first developed the new abilities, and led the breakout, upgraded the others and is leader of them, then who's the big bad that she's reporting to?

If there were only 10 changelings at Daystrom, where did the rest come from? Is she making them with the use of transporters? And if so, why was she unwilling to use transports to board the Titan, as if she was afraid of them too?

There's more to the Picard body. I don't think a replica of Picard is needed to pass Frontier Day instections.

We know that the Irumidic Syndrome was actually something fare more and Jack is manifesting that in ways that are like a super power. Noty sure I like where this is going, that Picard is some evolution of humanity?

Ms

One thing I don't get is earlier in the season when the Titan was dead in the nebula and was falling into the gravity well, Vadic just let it happen and didn't try to stop it even though she is trying to capture Jack. He would have died if the crew of the Titan didn't figure out a way to get enough power to get away from the gravity well. So, why was she ok with the Titan being destroyed and Jack dying if she needs him.

Yes she is not really the cleverest of Villians is She?

She could have easily beamed Jack out there and made sure the Tiatan got sacked into the Wormhole. Did not make sense at all for her to go awe well sure I will just let them all die including Jack and Picard.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Yeah just beam him out and then destroy the Titan instead of waiting for it to be crushed by the gravity well. You get everything you need and you don't have to worry about the Titan and its crew becoming a thorn in your side. It is just really bad writing.

@Spear --

If there were only 10 changelings at Daystrom, where did the rest come from?

Think she said she was converting more, offering a life of pain and torment for the ability to deceive and get revenage on the Federation.

So then the things that are walking around (including Vadic) are like human/changling hybrids? The human "hosts" are presumably still in there waiting to be rescued by sucking out the change-juice somehow?

The plotting of these things is still really dodgy. They take on so much every time, and just can't pull it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Yeah, agree with the previous. Weakest of the season so far, though I'm hoping that it's more to do with setting up for the final three episodes rather than indicative of a weak conclusion. It was slow and very disjointed.

As mentioned, a lot didn't make a whole lot of sense. I didn't particularly mind Vadics interpretation of how the changelings got the cure. It's not entirely wrong, and to be fair this was a federation cure for a genocidal virus they had given the changelings, so I can get that being given the cure might not help engender nice feelings towards the federation. But I will lose my nut if they go back and say this was another section 31 ploy to create these new changelings.

With the initial Jack reading peoples minds I thought maybe something to do with Betazoid DNA being used to fix a something something, or something to do with Picard and the Borg, but the whole controlling others bodies...better have a reasonable explanation for that one because I'm not buying into it at the moment.

I'm not as harsh on Geordi appealing to Data using their friendship, it has precedence in TNG, positive it happened in Descent, and in Generations we saw Data's guilt at letting Geordi get captured, so there is that. And I thought Spiner did a great job switching between Lore and Data. Of course there will be the inevitable betrayal again(temporarily).

The Tuvok scence was pointless.

On the upside, they didn't kill Shaw, for a second I thought he fell out of the turbolift dead!

Ms

I'm not as harsh on Geordi appealing to Data using their friendship, it has precedence in TNG, positive it happened in Descent, and in Generations we saw Data's guilt at letting Geordi get captured, so there is that. And I thought Spiner did a great job switching between Lore and Data. Of course there will be the inevitable betrayal again(temporarily

Yes it did. That is what stopped Data really messing Geordie up in that episode when he was going to destroy his neurons.

The Tuvok scence was pointless.

Agreed.

On the upside, they didn't kill Shaw, for a second I thought he fell out of the turbolift dead!

Yes I thought that two at first and thought well there goes that opportunity for a new show then seen him coming around.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Yes I thought that two at first and thought well there goes that opportunity for a new show then seen him coming around.

@AMKC That would have been a disaster. My immediate second reaction, since it came straight after the potential section 31 stuff, was s**t, are they going to try and use the death of one of the best new characters in Trek at the moment to drag Michelle Yeoh somehow into this time and do something garbage that way. And lets face it, not beyond the bounds of what we've seen the past few years.

@ilovesmybrick but the whole controlling others bodies...better have a reasonable explanation for that one because I'm not buying into it at the moment.

As they make eye contact, the same red glow in Jack's eyes can be seen in Sidney's, and they are able to read each other's thoughts. Though separated, Jack guides her movements against the lieutenant, allowing her to avoid its attacks while inflicting her own.

So not controlling others?

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

Not sure, was that a review description or something? Maybe that's the case, but it really wasn't clear to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,260 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Am I reading what the Face said wrong or is it a different species to the changelings?

I think the insinuation is that Vadic and her changelings are just tools, and can be readily destroyed. I initially thought this meant that the changelings had created some lesser version of themselves better adapted to infiltrate the Federation, we know that they're experts at bio-engineering and genetic manipulation, so wouldn't be too out of bounds for them.

Apparently it's whoever their handler is, so possibly section 31 or some corrupted star fleet group, but I still think it's an OG changeling involved at some stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

To be absolutely clear.. this episode had me from the word Chin'toka 🙂

Good episode. Stakes raised. Going to find out who they are working for now.

What their goal with the federation is. Whatever else they had planned too!

Thought Sidney might have been in trouble there.

Definitely Jack though.. still as wary as episode 2!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,216 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I really enjoyed that episode. Filled in a lit of the blanks.

And I think Vadic is right to seek vengeance. The most dangerous of enemies, the one with a legitimate gripe.

Music worked well.

Not sure what's going on with Jack's sudden powers. Is this something Borg related from Picard ?

Thought the Tuvok cameo worked well for what is was, but hoping real Tuvok hasnt been killed off or anything.

I've a feeling Janeway will be in episode10.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

Oh I'd be stunned if Janeway isn't in the finale

• Registered Users Posts: 24,418 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Outside of the Vadic reveal this episode really bored me.

The shoot out really annoyed me. Suddenly everyone is shooting like a stormtrooper and hits disintegrate except when you shoot Vadic or henchman #1 because somehow they can take a bunch of hits.

Whatever is happening to Jack is also getting closer and closer to outright stupid too.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

The sudden warping around the galaxy in minutes is annoying, Daystrom station to another system and back in under an hour. Wherever to Chin'toka to earth in under 36 hours?

Makes you wonder why it took Voyager so long to get home 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

While it was good getting the Vadic background, I felt like we were back in the nebula, so slow was the pacing of this episode.

@Spear The surprise cameo, well, pseudo cameo, didn't add to the plot in the way Ro Larens did.

The Tuvok cameo, might be useful in the next episodes in that it shows the infiltrators have done a more thorough job in some situations, particularly where they are more established.

@ilovesmybrick With the initial Jack reading peoples minds I thought maybe something to do with Betazoid DNA being used to fix a something something, or something to do with Picard and the Borg, but the whole controlling others bodies...better have a reasonable explanation for that one because I'm not buying into it at the moment.

I was thinking Betazoid influence on Jack too at first, but the red eyes thing doesn't really match. Same with his ninja skills. Could he be a more advanced synth than Picard? 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭Evade

A bit of a meh episode. It felt the most like filler of the series it did progress the story a bit but I'd say at least half the episode was pointless. I'm of two minds about super Jack. If the subtitle spoiler from a few episodes ago is right it could pay off but it would be shoehorning too much in. I'm starting to thin Vadic doesn't have a boss and she's just a few drops short of an ocean.

So can we expect a DS9 cameo in the episode titled Kazon/Hirogen/Borg?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,418 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Why does Vadic smoke cigars ?

Did she just Google evil villian look on her tricorder ?

Some of the interactions are great between the crew but this series is making no sense to me plot wise outside of a vague Dominion revenge plot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Shaw didn’t do much in the last episode. I would have liked him to go into that turbo lift with Vadic and then emerge on the bridge with her in handcuffs, but of course he just got battered and lost the bridge again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,895 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Good luck keeping a changeling in handcuffs!

Advertisement