Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kellie Harrington. Was she hung out to dry or did she hang herself out to dry?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

History is simply nothing to do with the singular.

history

noun

noun: history; plural noun: histories

1. 1.
    2. the study of past events, particularly in human affairs.
    3. "medieval European history"
    • the past considered as a whole.
    • "letters that have changed the course of history"
    • Similar:
    • background
    • past
    • family background
    • life story
    • antecedents
    • experiences
    • adventures
    • fortunes
    1. 2.
    2. the whole series of past events connected with a particular person or thing.
    3. "the history of the Empire"
    • an eventful past.
    • "the group has quite a history"
    • a past characterized by a particular thing.
    • "his family had a history of insanity"
    1. 3.
    2. a continuous, typically chronological, record of important or public events or of a particular trend or institution.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

On one level, Kellie made a mistake. Twice. She deleted the tweet. She handled the interview badly. Since, she has shown regret and apologised. She's a great sportsperson and should still be held in that regard and allowed space to grow and learn. She shouldn't be ostracised and hounded. I don't believe she's a bad person. I believe she's a good person. But that's all I have. Belief. Don't know her.

Perhaps, something else might emerge. I really hope not.

OTB keep recycling the interview. Between the OTB page and their journalists they must have posted and retweeted this interview nearly 20 times in less than 24 hours. They're milking it. I get the whole media game but I really do find something unseemly about it. Shane Hannon has set a precedent now. He can never have a guest on without tackling them on their past now - and everyone, everyone, including himself, have a past.

I don't care who you are, there are skeletons in their closets too and this will come back to haunt them. Nobody is squeaky clean. You live by the sword, you die by the sword. This is not a threat from me but that's how twitter operates from what I've seen. It deals in outrage and selective evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 jarrybutt

You can be against mass migration and still be pro immigration.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭French Toast

Interviewer handled it well. Kellie and her PR advisor left red faced. No matter your area of expertise, you're accountable for what you post online.

• Advertisement

I don't know a lot of PR advisors, but that one is the worst one I have ever encountered. I have no memory of hearing any of them butt into an interview like that, at least not in Ireland. Such an amateurish move.

Yeah I agree , she was as out of her depth as her client

Next week on off the ball , we discuss the a affects of brexit on the economy of NI with Longford pride and joy “Michael the Irish Mexican Gomez “

• Registered Users Posts: 18,085 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Main problem was though that Kellie was making a total hames of answering the question. She could have said something like 'I unwisely retweeted something I shouldn't have and it won't happen again' and it would have been done and dusted. Instead she kept doubling down and refusing to answer anything and made it seem like she had no regrets at all about the original tweets and retweets.

in this case Kellie was an easy target , she didn’t have the tools to defend herself , it’s snobbery to be honest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67,033 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

The immediate deletion of the tweet was the 'regret'.

As somebody above said, the journalist is now dining out on his click bait interview which consists of somebody being blindsided and unprepared. Big scoop there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Why do you feel she made a mistake by deleting the tweet or is by doing the tweet. What I get and maybe I am wrong is she got something sent to her about young girls been murdered and rather then looking at it and where it came from she immediately reacted. After some time (I am not sure as had not known about this until I saw it on the Journal) she realized it was a big mistake and deleted said tweet. Now I agree she handles the interview badly. She should have known and her advisors should have known (the one behind her should be removed) it would be asked about even in a sports show like Off the Ball they like there controversy. A simple answer to a question and that should be it and if Off The Ball then attack that on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭Deeec

Yep Shane is dining out thinking he's going places - unfortunately the opposite is going to happen

Newstalks legal team are very very concerned.

The producers are going wtf was he thinking bringing this up on a sports show.

And

Newstalk are pissed off because he offended a potential sponsor

• Registered Users Posts: 13,824 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

are you familiar with Off the Ball? they have consistently discussed all of the politics around sport for years now. they did lots of stuff on migrants mistreatment in Qatar and often have discussions on the various ethics associated with different sports. that's their whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,433 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

You can't have an opinion unless it's the media approved one. Anything else is liable to get you cancelled, and is the end goal of some of these media outlets, worn like a medal on their chests.

One tweet in response to a murder was irrelevant to the conversation. He should have let it go when he seen she didn't want to discuss it further - but he kept at her. He was wrong to do that

He also did not remain impartial - he tried to be woke and said he thought immigration was great.

In media you have to be impartial.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Terrier2023

What she originally tweeted was a heartfelt reaction to an terrible story of a young french girl aged 12 being abducted & murdered by migrants its a parents worst nightmare and it will happen here eventually. the witch hunt is to get her back on the agenda that migrants are great and good for the society. off the ball wanted the headlines and they got them - fcukers & they are trying to vilify her back to the agenda she was right to tell him he was hanging her out to dry HE WAS !¬

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

People shouldn't be judged based on their opinions? That's EXACTLY how people should be judged. That and their actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Disappointed that a hero reacted in such a way. Was disappointed with the original tweet and the interview was car crash from her. The journalist had every right given the context of her being a spar ambassador to query her views.

• Advertisement

she was basically saying all immigrants are bad. there was no more nuance to it than that. and then she kind of guffawed when he mentioned diversity which kind of backed up the fact that she's got a problem with certain people. she's an olympian ffs, you'd expect better from her.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,856 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Did she actually make a tweet insinuating that immigrants are likely to be murderers? I find that hard to believe to be honest.

If she did then it was indeed a "dopey move on her part" unless of course it's a fact.

If she didn't then it is a very dopey move on your behalf to libel an Irish sporting hero on Irelands biggest internet forum.

From reading your other posts on this thread you seem very wound up about the issue, did Kellie beat you in a boxing match that you thought you should have won?

I watched the clip in the OP and the interviewer that you claim acted very professionally and couldn't have done a better job in your opinion came across to me like a jumped up little mammy's boy with a hostile attitude determined to try and make a name for himself by making his lady guest as uncomfortable as possible. Of all the things he researched about Kellie before having her on as a guest that was his best shot at an interview?

He's a grade A plonker, Kellie is a national hero.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,085 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

There are loads of controversial opinions that would get a sports star into trouble if they aired them - certainly most right wing / far right talking points (Covid conspiracies, immigration, gender issues and so on) would be a no go area for a sports star who cares about their reputation.

Pre interview they would have ran through what was going to be discussed. Obviously he threw this in without telling her beforehand. She wasn't prepared. He was out of order.

Will sports people be lining up to be interviewed by him anymore - no they won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭IRE60

"Newstalks legal team are very very concerned" - are they fcuk.

She wasn't defamed in any way. If she hadn't been so belligerent and tried to run the interview her way, it would have been better for her. If she had come out front and said that the tweet in October as rash and she was 'swept up in the story'. But, on mature reflection (hat tip to BL), the retweet was too hasty and that's the reason she deleted once she saw the bigger picture etc........

If she had been schooled and prepared for the interview*, it wouldn't have been the car crash it was. As for her being a Newstalk potential sponsor, that ship has sailed. As a 'brand ambassador' I think she is damaged goods for a while.

*if you court publicity, then you should be prepared for anything, not what you think you should be asked. Look at all the politicians/celebs who a broadsided very day by 'unexpected' questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,160 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Thanks for confirming the very mentality I was referring to.

The type that pretends to be offended by the likes of Harrington because they are bored and need recreational outrage to give their lives meaning. And when this is highlighted they just feign nonchalance with some inane comment like "lol u mad".

Harrington has always come across as a bit of a scrote but damn if she isn't worth more than middle aged men on the internet demanding that she answer for her "crimes".

“Very, very sad. A powerful message from Eva Vlaardingerbroek. Our own leaders need to take a listen to this. She believes this is the 12th girl in France this year who has been killed by an immigrant.. And that’s just France.”

When one person stated that most violence towards women is committed by people known to them and not to blame immigration, Harrington replied: "Of their own nationality. It is not right."

ok so that to me says we should be wary of immigrants because they are more likely to kill girls, many would interpret it that way, so a dopey move on her part.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

An almost unbelievable disaster for Harrington with that interview. Imagine posting that kind of stuff on twitter when you're a brand ambassador for a diversity campaign?! And apparently it's not a one off - her twitter likes also include a number of very much not at all inclusive tweets.

If it was a straight sports interview I would have maybe had an issue with the question, but given the reason she was there with her role (surely now former role) at Spar, it would actually have been poor journalism to not ask the question.

That she made such a disaster of the response is purely down to her and her alone.

Maybe she's as thick as mince, it certainly comes across that way in that interview, but that's no excuse either. If she's not educated enough or informed enough to clarify her views she shouldn't be using her social media channels to promote political statements.

I definitely don't want to see her involved in our Olympic team again after this. She should maybe try pro boxing where there is maybe more of a market for her views of the world.

Oh believe me the legal team will be very concerned. He didn't act appropriately.

I was referring to spar being a potential sponsor - newstalk commercial team won't be happy that they are annoyed. Media relies heavily on sponsorship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭JohnnyFortune

Why not post the tweet Kellie put up? Are you hanging her out to dry?

A little girl was brutally murdered in France by an immigrant, the twelfth within a year in France alone. Kellie merely posted a tweet asking for the governments of Europe to stop this madness from happening. Hardly that controversial? Should she have said she agrees with the murders and that it's part of being a multicultural society? Would she then take her place on the throne of woke?

Advertisement