Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gym Newbie - sharing my workout plan

Options
  • 20-03-2023 6:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭

Hi folks.

Apologies in advance if I shouldn't be posting this or if it's not the right area to post. My story is that I'm a total gym newbie in last month. Quite a bit of weight to lose but generally just trying to improve my health a look a bit better hopefully...not hoping to win any prizes any time soon.

I can't afford PT at the moment unfortunately as would love to get a few sessions in to help me learn the basics etc. When I joined I did an intro session with a trainer and the gave me the attached plan.

I'm going 4 times a week and tipping away but I'm quite conscious in the gym but getting over my general awkwardness. Would love to get any feedback on the two routines or people's thoughts for where I could possibly improve? I don't feel like thr cardio is enough so Iv been doing a bit longer walking on the treadmill at the end just an extra 10 or 15 mins with a bit of an incline.

I'm clear on most of the exercised but still haven't figured out what the 'row anticulated machine is'....I'll get there.

To be honest I'm really enjoying it and wish I hadn't been so nervous about joining. I'm not able for classes yet and don't feel like I can keep off which puts me off going. Did 2 spins when I first joined which I did like but I genuinely couldn't walk for 4 days after...find the standing while on the bike impossible, perhaps just because of my heavy weight or weak legs, I don't know. Anyway its all progress I suppose.

Any tips, thoughts or advice most welcome as very much blind at the moment Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

The program you have is fine, it's reasonably balanced and won't do any harm.

People will always suggest one or two mods based on their preferences though, for me personally I would look again at the high rep deadlifts and plank superset. I would drop the deadlift reps down to 5, make sure your form is impeccable and focus on adding a couple of kilos to your sets each time. I'd do the planks totally separate ie afterwards.

In general you should be gradually adding weight to all movements over time I.e going up in settings on the machines, using heavier DBs.

The row movement you can't figure out is likely just any horizontal row (imagine pulling to your chest). If you don't have a seated row machine a good option is just to do a basic bent over dumbbell row, same reps for each side.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

4 times a week is knocking it out of the park. The plan you have will be totally sufficient for a beginner to make progress.

So long as you eat and sleep well, keep showing up, and doing a bit more every now and then, you won't know yourself in a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,030 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

That's articulated row. A row is a machine you pull a handle toward you. It can be a cable machine - where the handle move slightly freely connect be a cable. Or a solid arms picot at a single point, and move in a fixed plane. The latter type is called articulated.

The Deadlift / Plank superset was the only think that stood out to me. Silly combo. agree with every you said re:5reps, form, etc

Do deadlifts as a single exercise after the first superset. Do planks as a single exercise after the second.

Advertisement