Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I don't believe in a meddling God

Options
  • 16-03-2023 6:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

I see no real evidence that God answers prayers or plans peoples lives

You simply cant hide behind its a mystery

There is scientific evidence that there is a God but no real evidence he is a micro manager

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭victor8600

What does your priest say?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Scientific evidence there is a god?

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Everlong1

As someone who wants to believe but is struggling with doubts, I'd love to hear about this scientific evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭victor8600

Scientists say that the backwards time travel may theoretically be possible. If it is indeed possible, just very difficult, then we can say that it has almost certainly already happened, as any technical difficulties can be overcome some time in the future. A person from the distant enough future may appear as a God to a primitive civilization.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,959 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

You sound like you're describing Deism. A non-interventionist god who doesn't get involved in people's lives or helping them find their car keys or whatever else. A god who made the universe and left it alone.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,350 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Are you nick cave?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭basillarkin

what is this scientific evidence you speak of and of which god?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Theduke1960

Google scientific evidence for God.

I ain't going there.

I'm just starting from the point that there is a strong evidence for a God in creation but not a micro managing god

Which **** God? Give me peace

The odds of life on earth are astronomical. I ain't going to state the obvious there.

You could say completely accidental but you have a weaker case

My main point is that while existentnce of God is debatable - I do not feel there is any real evidence of an interventionist God

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

Move on then or are you looking for enlightenment?

Are you on your road to Damascus?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

I'm just starting from the point that there is a strong evidence for a God in creation but not a micro managing god

Can I start with, there's no strong evidence for a God? You can Google it..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

"The odds of life on earth are astronomical"

Yes indeed, in an infinite universe the odds are low, but not zero

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

An unforeseen future nestled somewhere in time.

Unsuspecting victims no warnings, no signs.

Judgment day the second coming arrives.

Before you see the light you must die.

Forgotten children, conform a new faith,

Avidity and lust controlled by hate.

[The] Never ending search for your shattered sanity,

Souls of Damnation in their own reality.

Chaos rampant,

An age of distrust.

Confrontations.

Impulsive habitat.

Bastard sons beget your **** daughters,

Promiscuous mothers with your incestuous fathers.

Engreat souls condemned for all eternity,

Sustained by immoral observance a domineering deity.

Chaos rampant,

An age of distrust.

Confrontations.

Impulsive sabbath.

On and on, south of heaven

The root of all evil is the heart of a black soul.

A force that has lived all eternity.

A never ending search for a truth never told.

The loss of all hope and your dignity.

Chaos rampant,

An age of distrust.

Confrontations.

Impulsive habitat.

On and on, south of heaven

• Registered Users Posts: 4,261 ✭✭✭standardg60

An infinite number of monkeys at an infinite number of typewriters, or maybe just because Earth was the Goldilocks planet in our solar system.

There could be many different planets evolving towards or are at a different stage of life as we speak but unless any will develop the ability to traverse time which is doubtful we will always be alone.

Not much of a debate and the usual small men but big on the Internet types.

I suppose my op was poorly written.

I'm starting from the point of view that there is a God. Based on the evidence I have read. You could argue the reverse of course but that's a separate thread really.

I just think peoples lives are too random to conform to a pattern designed by God.

People suffer in a way that makes no sense unless it was random

And bad people prosper.

Again I'm not here to argue about God's existence. You might say that the above is evidence of non existence but I'm not arguing that.

I think God started creation. That he will judge us but he doesn't plan everything.

He doesn't have a plan for me but I will be judged.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,959 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Does your god care if you believe in it? Will that be on the 'good' side of the ledger it judges you?

You can but you could **** off and start your own thread

It's not my God. Just my belief. But I think if there is a judgement it's on your life not belief because lots of good people lived in the pre-Christian era and lots of good people including perhaps yourself who don't believe.

Plus I honestly don't think God needs you to believe in him as such just lead a good life

I think the Catholic Church no longer believes that non believers are condemned to die

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Mod warning: Foul language not permitted in this forum, please read the charter before posting here again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Curious thought process.

He doesn't care, but he does?

I actually like the non micromanagement sentiment.

But! If he don't got my back...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,685 ✭✭✭growleaves

OP I don't know if this will interest you but something that's helped me a lot is discovering Mormon theology, which says that God has limited power and is a created being among beings.

In fact the idea of God being omnipotent doesn't appear in the Bible and was borrowed from classical metaphysics (Plato, Aristotle etc.)

This book is a good starting point:

The God Who Weeps: How Mormonism Makes Sense of Life by Terryl Givens

Its my opinion that a lot of the incoherencies of mainstream Christian theology are a result of the meshing together of classical philosophy and Christian scripture. This matters more now than ever since in Western countries the mass of people are educated and they demand real answers to questions like e.g. theodicy.

Another argument that goes on the side of a non meddling God is the fact that we have so many different faiths claim to be the ultimate voice.

If God was micro managing it would seem confusing why he would allow that.

That's why I think God is more likely to be a creative force than a managing director

I tend to agree there is strong evidence for god/s. It needn't be material (i.e. scientific) evidence.

Let me paraphrase something I saw on a blog:

"I wonder what compels people to convince themselves they are living in a world made up of completely random events that somehow form the level of coherence that we are at now.

Why is it difficult to imagine avenues of perception and communication and being that are non-material, and that the non-material exists?"

Examining the material world does not/cannot in and of itself prove that nothing apart from the material world exists. Don't confuse science with metaphysics.

What kind of evidence a person considers "admissible" will be pre-decided by their metaphysical assumptions. Often a person will rule out or rule in certain kinds of evidence a priori.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,436 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

I (personally) wouldn''t take anything from that religion as fact or even "sense" ...but that is another argument all together.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,386 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

That's fine. I used to be very down on it myself and regarded it as a fraud offshoot of Christianity - but then I changed my mind.

If someone says the only thing stopping them from becoming a Christian are these theological expanations that don't go anywhere (if God is omnipotent why does(n't) he do x?) then its at least interesting that there is a whole other theology which gives a different set of answers to these questions.

Creativity in Christian thought possibly can seem blasphemous but I don't see it like that.

I think the medieval church took a wrong turn by equating Christian teaching with things like Plato's Timaeus (most well-known Greek philosophical work during that time).

Jesus Christ never seems to have spoken or thought like a Stoic or a Thomist or anybody like that. He was always tearing down that mechanistic way of thinking, contradicting and out-arguing rigid scholars of Moses' laws, discouraging literalism, putting the spirit of the law ahead of the letter of the law etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,386 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Interesting book. I must read it. I am generally dismissive of the Mormon faith because of its origin story-it's theory on native Americans etc but that does not mean all its ideas are wrong.

• Advertisement

Advertisement