Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW i5

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,530 ✭✭✭carsfan2

What spec and colour combination did you order?

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭UhOh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,980 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

You have to go msport pro don’t you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

Went to the K Club event yesterday, it does look awesome up close. I hadn't been aware of some of the mad smart features either, like if it's parked in a super tight car space, you can stand in front of the car and beckon it to drive towards you! Same with parking at home, it learns the layout of your driveway, so you can get out wherever you like, and it puts itself into your preferred parking spot. Mad stuff, Ted.

Was also surprised, and I wonder was it a mistake, when they said the cars had Harman Kardon as the entry level sound system, which is pretty decent. Impressed with the extra boot space too, it's a marked difference. Not so keen on the haptic touch trim, bit tacky looking.

They also had the icircular concept car, insane looking thing, center console like a giant space crystal or something. Want!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Not really that mad. Tesla have been doing that for years, in fact BMW itself has been doing it for years too with the smart summon on the 7 series.

The parking in your garden will be interesting to see how it works in reality, but I guess it’s not the average 3 bed semi garden layout they will have to memorise, it’s the houses that have “land” to the front!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭GusGus

When is the 530e due does anyone know sorry if I missed

It’s not the normal Harmon Kardon system though it’s been massively downgraded on the g60 - marketing rebrand really to fool people

Think it goes into production in November/December

Went to my local dealer who has two i5’s and a 520i.

I was underwhelmed by the car especially considering the price point it’s now in.

The external styling is good and a nice evolution but the interior is a let down in design and quality in my opinion.

For instance, the shiny piano black plastic on the centre console is a disaster and a fingerprint magnet. Previously you could feel the uplift from a 3/4 series to the 5 but I’m guessing BMW made some accounting decisions that they will change come LCi time.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,696 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Launch event on in Enniscorthy BMW dealer this weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Mr Q

They had an event last week held by Wexford chamber of commerce with two i5 inside and I think others for test drives.

Nice car but the M60 feels in no way like a 120k car inside.

But I was told at it that an estate version isn't far off, which would be a much better option than another SUV for plenty of people.

I wasnt aware of the other one, but they promised test drives at this one so I'm going to head down saturday morning with the boss. I agree, I'd be interested in the touring variant rather than a saloon.

Launch for the i5 touring is supposed to be April/May next year, so customer cars probably early 2025. There’s also going to be an xDrive40 for the saloon. Tbh I wish they had that now. Entry level i5 touring would likely be xDrive?

I dont know. I'd expect it to be aligned with the i5 sedan which is rwd unless in M60 spec

• Registered Users Posts: 15 anthonymacd

Yes, goes into production in week 49 and first cars should be in Ireland the 3rd week of January. I ordered a 530e today after 16 years in 520d's

Told today that delivery is due week 1 of new year ! 530e

Nice one. My i5 has an estimated delivery of Jan 15th

nice! have you test driven one yet? what spec did you order?

has price changed since budget? My dealer told me they can't hold prices so you pay the price whatever it is on delivery date.

Had a test drive in a mid spec i5 40 and an i5 M60 in top spec over the weekend. They were like two different cars. Manual seats in a 90k car is insane.

The performance of the m60 is not to be sniffed at, it's probably as fast as the fastest teslas I've driven (S P100DL) but only when running on boost mode. The germans do premium very well.

What's also premium is the price. I want the spec of the M60 sedan I test drove, but with a towbar and in a touring variant. For a sedan with a towbar in the spec I wanted is 136k. They don't have the figures yet for PCP/HP but I suspect even with a 30% deposit it would be too much for my liking on a monthly basis. Next step, to the local mercedes dealer for a spin in an EQS 450+. Some ex demos of those are going just below 100k which is a bargain for the car you get, I think the reductions are because the EQS SUV is out and that's more popular.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭digiman

I'm kinda similar, I would want the M60 touring but don't want to pay the price for it. I'd say these will depreciate a lot by this time next year and there are so many other options out there if you have €130-140k to spend. When a nice spec M60 is €90-100k that's when I'll consider it.

I've had my dealer call me seeing if I'm interested in changing to an i5, that's not a good sign this early on I don't think.

I don't like the EQE as it's not a hatchback and it's (correct me if wrong) not available in a touring. EQS 53, sure, but too pricey for my liking. Arent they near 180k!!

Correct on all fronts 😂

I was kinda hoping the 53 maybe had come down a bit but still too new.

I’m not surprised they are canvassing for orders already.The bottom line with the i5 is that it is just too expensive for what it is.

the 40 model with a little kit on it is a 100k car to buy on the road.

Nobby has it spot on with his first drive video. He reckons 530e is the best buy but that if a 520d was available that’d be the one people would buy still.

520d is going to be available in the touring according to the dealer I was in with at the weekend. Agree with you on the cost front. Back in the day of e60 or f10 5 series for instance, the gap between the base and the top (ie M5) was less than the gap between the base and the m60. It;'s not even a real M car.

What's putting me off is that, for the deposit on an I5 M60 I could buy my all time dream BMW, an e61 M5.

Aside from seats & performance what others differences did you find with the drive?

the electric seats thing is a joke as you need to spec the comfort plus pack to get them. That’s a €6000 option.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,298 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Think i might hold out for one of these:

In terms of turnaround, what is your wait times like from ordering?

Visually the cars look very different too. The M60 had the M pack with m mirrors and carbon surrounds etc and the stupid plastic fake chrome grilles were blacked out on the m60 too. It just looks better, drove better and felt more premium. Even the M steering wheel was an infinite improvement. The M60 also has 22kW AC which would be nice.

I agree with the poster above, I'd only be interested in a touring variant. Not planning to change until mid next year anyway so the wait isnt a big issue

I think you’re bonkers. You have the Ora and the Leaf. Buy the M5 now while it’s available. Enjoy it 😂

Sure you can still buy a decent long range EV on top of the M5 and still be lower than the cost to get into a base i5!

• Advertisement

Couldn’t justify 100k for a base i5 - so went with 530e - still nearly 80k . Yikes

Advertisement