Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the new passport card any use?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I haven't encountered any problems with the card. I even used it to enter Albania which I don't think is actually covered by the card. I did have my passport book buried in my bag if I had any trouble though. I just wish the card would work at egates at other EU airports outside of Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

After getting stuck in the non-EU queue in CDG for 2 hours and another time missing a short transfer flight because I couldn't use the automated gates (as we are non-shengen) - I don't use it as primary unless I've no option. Only useful if the passport is in getting a visa somewhere and I'm stuck with it for european/UK travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭VG31

I've used it countless times without issue. I take the passport book with me so I can use e-gates but I use the card for check-in and boarding.

You were very unlucky. If you'd stood your ground and asked for a supervisor I'm sure you would have got on eventually. Surely you can't have been the only person boarding a flight to Dublin with a passport card?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,903 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I always used it when travelling alone for work, which I did a lot up until a few years ago, but now most travel is with family so it's just easier and handier to have the 3 passports in hand..

Still have it and will continue to hold one, and carry in my wallet, which is handy when you are abroad and want/need to have an official ID with you, but don't want to have your passport on your person..

edit: and that reminded me to whip it out and see that I've 13 months left on it, so need to remind myself to replace it this time next year..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

I was given the option to lodge a Passport Card in the app when checking in so hopefully the last 2 years have addressed the gap.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,222 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

I find the card excellent for the UK but avoid elsewhere in the EU especially the likes of LUX, AMS, CDG and LIS as they want to see your proper passport as egates don't accept them.

Never had issues with Ryanair or other airlines accepting them to board, it's always been immigration.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,834 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Folks, the only way for the card to become more reliably accepted is for people to use it if they have it.

I deliberately used it for my christmas travels from France to Ireland by sea for checkin/emmigration/immigration and on the way back for checkin and immigration back to France and no problems anywhere.

Theres no emmigration check leaving Ireland because..... its far better to use precious government resources to needlessly check millions of arriving passengers from the UK at the irish airports instead. Dopes.

Ireland doesn't have exit passport checks. Neither do the UK or US.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭taxAHcruel

I was wondering about this card recently myself as I have both. When checking in on line with Ryanair you put in the Passport Number and expiry date as part of the check in.

But the passport number and expiry date is different on the card and the book. So I was wondering what happens if you put one in when checking in online - but show up to the airport with the other? Some of the posts above say it should not be an issue. But Ryanair do love any chance to charge you the "change of booking" fee so I was wondering about it all the same.

Unrelated anecdote - I have called my dad by what I thought was his name all my life. Until I took him to Germany once (over 10 years ago now) and I put this name on the booking. Only to find out that he has gone by Seamus all his life but his Passport and Birth Cert and so on were all James. I never knew.

Ryanair were only too happy to charge us a fee to change the name to the correct one at the time :)

But the passport number and expiry date is different on the card and the book. So I was wondering what happens if you put one in when checking in online - but show up to the airport with the other?

Nothing, I do this all the time. The gate agents aren't interested in your passport number. They only check that the name matches your boarding pass and the document hasn't expired.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

It's fine to travel on the card or book with Ryanair. I have checked in with my book a few of times and travelled on the card in the end.

Had a similar problem as your Dad with the names before. I'm christened one thing but go by another name day to day. Someone bought me a Ryanair voucher in my unofficial name that's not on my passport. Ryanair point blank refused to change the name on the gift card. In the end I had to book 2 lots of flights. I booked one lot of flights in my unofficial name for me and my missus. I couldn't just use the card to book travel for my partner because I had to be named on the booking as well. At least I got to use 50 percent of the value of the voucher that way. Then I booked and paid myself for the same flight in my official name.

And what of any automated system, like the self check in for baggage and so on? They read your passport too in some airports. Any issue there if your check in pass is not the same as your scanned one?

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Kevrano

On my Ryanair profile, the passport book and card are saved as separate forms of ID. You have to select one or the other. But as others say, when it comes to boarding, they just check that the name and photo match. As for checking in luggage, I've never tried.

I don't know for sure but I don't remember ever having to scan my passport. Usually you can enter your booking reference instead.

Ah true actually. It just hit me that every airport is different. It was checking in for Ryanair recently in Memmingen airport in Germany that I had to scan first my boarding card and then my passport. Now I Think of it I do not recall having to do the latter in Dublin.

Next time I am in Memmingen or similar I will try using the ID I did not check in with on the machine and report back to the thread. Though this may not be soon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭xabi_a

I used the card a lot in Europe since I posted here, and generally no problems.

The one real niusance was in Munich airport, when leaving. I had to go to the manned passport check, and that was a really long detour.

So for now if possible I'll be bringing my book along also where possible, just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭bobbyD1978

I travelled across Europe last year, 19 countries including these ones without any issues with the card.

Why would they find a card odd when most of Europe has been traveling on national Id cards for decades.?

Advertisement