Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the new passport card any use?

Options
  • 10-03-2023 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭

I just renewed my passport and got the card version too. But does it work in the new automated passport control stations, which are being used more and more in Dublin airport? And do Ryanair and Aer Lingus accept these?

I'd be nervous traveling without my book passport! What experience have others had?

Comments

Yes. Yes. Yes. They're accepted for travel anywhere within and between the European Union and the United Kingdom.

They're not accepted for travel outside the European Union or United Kingdom.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭xabi_a

OK but can you use the card to go through the automated passport check controls? (Not that it's the end of the world if you can't, I'm just wondering). It seems to me that more and more we're being directed to these automated gates.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I used mine at the gates once in Dublin. It's hard to pick the card up off the glass plate. There's never been too much of a queue when I've gone through immigration in Dublin so mostly go to the desk. I never take my book anymore for trips to Europe or the UK. It's just less hassle using the card.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,874 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

September last year I used it to travel to Estonia and it wasn't working at any of the auto gates. In Estonia I wasn't allowed to try the auto gates and in Dublin I could try the auto gate but the card didn't work, the E Gate was only configured for the book at the time.

Waste of money if you still can't use the E Gate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,812 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Bear in mind that you can't check in online with Aer Lingus with the passport card (or couldn't up until last year anyway, I haven't travelled this year yet but I assume it hasn't changed).

I nearly got caught rotten abroad with a two leg flight home, with a very tight connection, I had no idea that you couldn't check in online with it. AL when they eventually answered a phone just said "oh yeah, you can't check in online, you'll have to go out and check in at the desk" 😱

Having said that, the card is fierce handy, and I wouldn't be without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Aurelian

Got it a while ago to make going to Spain easier. Aer Lingus don't accept them for self check in so I had to go to the desk. Then they don't work in the Spanish automated immigration machines, so I had to queue for the immigration police like a common Brit!

In future I'll bring my full passport and keep the card in my wallet as back up ID.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Mr rebel

I use my passport card as an extra to my passport when travelling, in that i lock up my passport in the hotel safe and carry my passport card around with me as my ID.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,270 ✭✭✭✭ted1

You need your book, the card accompanies it, not replaces it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Any need for such an inappropriate comment?

Im not saying You are right or wrong, but please furnish information to back up your ‘one word’ response.

What's inappropriate about it? I just called out absolute nonsense being posted here as truth. As for how I know? Personal experience amongst others, I've travelled all over Europe with just a passport card. It does not ever need to be accompanied by a passport book.

Also...

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/passports/irish_passport_card.html

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

You don't.

Why would it even exist if it was just an accompaniment?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,520 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

You can get it cheaper when getting a new passport but it is for 5 years not 10 like the passport, so you need to get a new one in 5 years (if I recall correctly)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭blade1

I need to renew my passport and this is the first I've heard of a card.

Does the card automatically come with passport or must I order one separately?

This is correct.

I just got both last week, passport valid for 10 years, card for 5. €100 for the two together.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Jafin

I travelled to Paris last year using my passport card and when I got to passport control at the airport in Paris the gentleman there asked me what my passport card was and when I explained it to him he looked at me like I had three heads, he had never seen or heard of one before. The automatic scanner thing at the gates wouldn't pick up my card at all so I had to use the book, which I had luckily brought with me just in case there was an issue. Similar thing coming back into Dublin, but only at the scanner, again I couldn't get the scanner to detect the card at all so had to use my book again.

That's the only travelling I've done since I got it, so it's only a sample size of one trip, but that was my own personal experience anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,692 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Not for the UK and the EU you don't, it's the whole point of the card.....

Yeah, the relief of not having to carry my passport in my pocket when I'm in the States is worth the 30 quid alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,692 ✭✭✭hynesie08

If renewing online you'll be given the option to add the card, you can order it separately if you already have a passport, it's good for 5 years or the expiry of the passport, whichever comes first.

• Advertisement

Mods, can anything be done about replies like this? And from a first time poster too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,443 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

🤡 The fool is the one using Vladimir Putin, in Russian, as his username. Childish.

Very true. This ‘person’s’ first post they call a poster moron. Second a poster is called a fool.

FYI, I have flagged and reported this poster.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,000 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

EU identity cards are no longer acceptable in the UK, EU/EEA/CH citizens, with the exception of Ireland, now require a passport to enter the UK and in addition to this EU/EEA/CH resident permits are no longer accepted either. Since most people on mainland Europe only bother with an ID card, this has had an impact. The three schools in my town here in Switzerland have decided to go to Ireland this summer because of this.

There is nothing stopping you from carrying both, if that makes you feel more comfortable, but most Europeans don't even have a passport so if it works for them, it will work for you.

It depend on what you mean by useful.... within the Schengen Area everyone including citizens and residents must be able to do two things if challenged by the authorities:

• Identify yourself using one of the accepted documents, for Ireland that is a passport for ID card
    • Justify your presence in the Area, that is you are a resident within the area, a job seeker and in your first three months within the Area [can be extended with agreement to six months] or a tourist in compliance with the 90 day rule. Normally for EU/EEA/CH citizens they just accept the passport/id card and that is it.

If you can't do this then the authorities are entitled to detain you until such time as they are satisfied of you presence. They are not required to accept photo copies of your documents, take you to your hotel or where every you left them etc.... As a passport is very bulky to have to carry around having a credit card size ID in you wallet is much handier.

And yes it does happen that there are spot checks within the Schengen Area and depending on the situation, it may cause you to miss out on part of your holiday etc. I live in Switzerland and have been checked a few times now over the past few years. And on one occasion where my Swiss colleague did not have his ID card we had to get off the train and go to the police station where he sat in a cell until his wife turned up three hours later with his ID card. It was obvious, at least for me, that the guy was Swiss, since he spoke dialect and had several other forms of ID, but the police officers were having none of it, we had to wait.

You mean like that fact that your information is also out of date!!!!!!!!!

Anyone can google, but it seems you need a bit of talent to pick the right link when you do....

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Everlong1

What airport was this? I travel to Paris at least once a year, usually through Beauvais with Ryanair but have used the other airports on occasion. Astonished to read that, you'd expect airport staff to be up to date on these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭beachhead

Place it in the top right corner of the automated reader and take your hand away,place your feet on foot sign and look straight at the camera.Away you go.no queues to speak of.Also,saves poking around for your hardcopy passport.

Not exactly a new invention but somebody being satirical here

• Advertisement

It was advertised on the site as an option when ordering a new passport

Advertisement