Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting around Galway

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭rustyfrog

• Registered Users Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Something along the lines of "I'll continue to vote against every active travel proposal until the ring road is built".

From memory so might not be 100% right.

Disgusting behavior. Punishing the whole city population because the Council is too inept to get a large infrastructure project through planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,551 ✭✭✭✭zell12

NTA have announced a six week consultation on a new redesigned, 24 hour, 90 minute ticket, 50% more buses, service. No link yet. Get writing!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,248 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

50% more buses!

New routes!

it's welcome. More bus lanes now servicing key sections on some routes and we're on the pigs back.

A piece on the NTA announcement

Details available at the link below

You can review the new network maps and frequency proposals there.

Here's the current route map

New route & frequency proposals

I find it honestly astonishing that we can't get all routes to sub 10 min frequency at this point though I'm guessing we won't see that until near 2030 once the full BC bus lanes are in. However until WDR gets bus lanes anything heading that way will get bogged down. So much of the west side of the city will remain on a 30 min frequency which is, quite frankly, crap.

That being said, it is a big improvement in frequency, I just wish they were more ambitious

The consultation link is below and takes you through everything in detail before asking for feedback

Consultation is now open

• Advertisement

Resurfacing works on the road to Barna going to cause disruption for a few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

That's badly needed. Kingston Road has been an absolute mess since the Irish Water pipe replacement last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,248 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Is it jus the 409 & Oranmore routes that would be getting increased frequency, as opposed to all routes?

I see that they have removed Mervue from the 401 route, again, after it removed and re-instated when the 401 & 403 routes merged.

This is nit-picking really, but the 405 doesn't have that that little turn in just after the lights near Ballybrit Ind Estate anymore, but it is included here. The stop was moved recently to just up the road a bit, presumably to save time, which is fair as it's only 20m away.

I'd highly recommend going through the report document on the bus connects site linked above. Its got a massive amount of good info in it, not just limited to bus routes. They made good use of geospatial analysis. Some examples below

Poor vs good connectivity

In terms of distance to stops, the new routes will increase from 62% to 67% for those within 400 meters of a stop

This is a handy graphic to see the frequency for the new routes

Route 9 & 9a would operate 24 hrs a day

New route numbering and details below

• Registered Users Posts: 25,717 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Barna is the big winner, getting 60 minute frequency. And Oranmore Coast Road. And Oranhill, getting a service (I hope they've figured out a safe turning point in this proposal, unlike the last time someone tried to do this).

The NTA seem determined to remove the service from Mervue shops - and BE seem determined to keep it.

Need to look harder at the other proposals to see what I think of them.

Overall, thru-routing is a good thing: it cuts unloading/loading of people in the centre, who are going to the other end of the route. I like that there's more of it. Knocknacarra to Bothar Choiste seems odd and lacking in key destinations (hospital, university or ATU). Several parkmore to Knocknacarra options is good - the strenght of these routes is often the intermediate points, not the end destinations.

Overall the return to old route numbers and route splitting (9a and 9b, 10a and 10b) makes things more confusing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,551 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Gateway SC looks like becoming a second bus terminus, with 8 out of 11 routes going through there

• Registered Users Posts: 4,880 ✭✭✭what_traffic

This is interesting. The link between Letteragh and Rahoon Road there is currently NO road connection there. (Just a pedestrian and cycling access )

Wonder will they be createing a BUS Gate between Cnoc an Oir and Bun an Chnoic? It is a residential area so cannot see it been open to general vehicular traffic

Anywhere else where they are doing this? Merlin Park Hospital --> Doughiska would spring to mind as having this potential.

Thankfully a focus on "Walkability" and interesting they have focused on a link that I have brought up here in the Galway threads a no of times.

Hawthorn Place ->> Slí an Sruathan >> Cartur Mór in Clybaun

Back in February, when Galway City Council Chief, Brendan McGrath, and Mayor Clodagh Higgins, were giving out about An Bord Pleanala refusing permission for social housing on the Headford Road because the residents wouldn't be able to walk to town, they claimed it was a 20 minute walk from there to Eyre Square.

This was despite the fact that the Council's own planning application had said the site was a 30-40 minute bus ride to the Bus/Train station. In reality, it's 3.5km and you're crossing a load of junctions, many where you are pressing a button and waiting for a green man, so it's going to take a least an hour to walk. But, more importantly, there's no footpath on the first section so you'd be walking in the same lane as cars driving at high speed. It's mad to even suggest it.

At the time it seemed like a bit of ill though out bluster on the part of McGrath and Higgins. And there was a quite a bit of a reaction locally about the Chief Executive and Mayor having such a weak grasp of the realities of moving around the city they are supposed to be responsible for, so I thought that was the last we'd hear of that 20 minute bu!!$hit claim Then, just a few days later, some poor man lost his life when he was hit by a car while walking a little further out on that road, so I thought that would really give them pause for thought.

But no, according to the Irish Times, at yesterday's Council meeting, Brendan McGrath was again making the same outlandish claim that the site is 20 minutes walk from Eyre Square.

Worse again, the way the Irish Times reports it, it sounds like the Councillors just joined the pile on against An Bord Pleanala, instead of asking the Chief Executive why, six months after planning was refused, he hasn't started building the short distance of footpath that would be needed to resolve the situation. It would really make you despair.

Very odd - reading that article feels like a lot of copy and paste going on?

Hard to believe that Brendan McGrath is still maintaining that the Castlegar site location; which is the Ballindooley side of Bothar an Choiste site is a 20min walk to Eyre Square?

I initially also thought maybe a February article in the Irish Times had a typo corrected or something like that, causing it to be displayed with yesterday's date by mistake. I couldn't believe the Brendan McGrath would display the callousness to make that '20 minute walk' claim again. But sadly, that doesn't seem to be the case, and it really was said yesterday afternoon at the Special Meeting to discuss the Quarterly Housing Report.

Unbelievable. I thought the article had a feel of quotes been pulled from local papers from the last 2 months as it was something I had keeping tabs on.

Chapter 4

of the Draft Report is interesting

How sound is the information in it though? Pages --> 43 -- 48

The affluence to unemployment does not match in my eyes? But is it simply that in some older residential area's - retired elderly people are living in relative poverty?

I think Galways congestion problems would disappear overnight if this was brought in

Marie Donnelly told the Oireachtas Transport Committee there is a provision in the 2008 Finance Bill under section 18(b) to calculate free parking as an additional benefit. Ms Donnelly said the legislation is already in place and all it needs is a signature. She added that sufficient measures have not been identified to achieve Ireland's target of a 50% reduction in transport emissions from 2018 levels by 2030.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,717 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

It's already hard enough to recruit some roles here. Apply that, and I reckon you could see some of the medical device manufacturers give up and move overseas altogether.

More likely they'd be delighted to be able to turn unused parking into uber-high-value cleanroom space, which is wayyy more valuable to their bottom line

Nope - would just have the effect of concentrating minds. It is really the IDA and the Local Councils who would be under pressure here rather than the FMN to create infrastructure required for this transition. For example Medtronic have invested a significant sum in installing an active travel centre in Parkmore about 5 yrs ago now, showers, lockers, secure bike area. What have IDA or local Council done to make it easier to get there by bike or scooter etc? Many other FMN have similar facility's in the IDA estates around the City.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Most people have no problem switching to public transport if it is frequent, reliable and good value. Currently it takes me approx. 25 mins to get from Oranmore to Parkmore for work. As far as I can make out, there is no combination of bus routes that would get me there in anywhere close to 25 minutes at the time I need to be at work in the morning, so I drive. I'd be looking at the 404 to Castlegar GAA and the 409 to Parkmore but the times don't match up very well for my start time.

Charging me to park at work isn't going to put me off using the car to drive to work if there is no viable alternative, it will just take a few hundred extra euros out of my pocket every year. I would imagine most car commuters to Galway would have a similar issue. Oranmore has a decent service every 30 mins and it won't work for me, what about anyone coming from North of the city where there is a minimal service?

Fair point, but I would not worry too much here in the very short term, places like City Centre are going to see this first where there is the required public transport. That 404 / 409 is going to improve in frequency and reliability in 2025/6. The IDA should really start planning NOW to start facilitating this type of public transport priority measures within there estates.

Am hearing the N6 GCRR has been dropped in latest TII report, might explain the big Bus Connects PR in the local and national media the past week.

Looks like a false alarm, was not in a "National Roads 2040" but is still in the National Development Plan doc

Several transport related pieces in this weeks Advertiser after meetings with Cllr's

The Super laments the number of children killed on the roads

Cllr's discuss the issue of cars parking on footpaths and green areas across the city. Despite concerns raised in relation to access for emergency vehicles (not to mention pedestrians, buggies, wheelchairs, mobility impaired etc), Cllr Donal Lyons appears to not want the issue dealt with and thinks cars are only parked on green areas because there are no footpaths to park on (wtf)

Cllr Donal Lyons said that some discretion is needed with this because in some areas, there are no footpaths and people have to park on green areas.

“I agree with the sentiment of clamping down in illegal parkers, and especially in the city centre where streets are blocked, but when you apply that to the suburbs, you are into a different situation,” he said.

The need for traffic wardens was called out to allow kids to cross the roads safely.

Cllr Niall McNelis has again called on Galway City Council for an immediate update and filling of school traffic wardens especially for the Clybaun Road area in Knocknacarra.

He said that the posts have been unfilled for over six months and pedestrians especially young children are at serious risk.

“Yesterday an adult pedestrian was hit while assisting children crossing. The speed on this road has been highlighted on numerous occasions and again I have contacted Gardai to assist on this road and I am appealing to motorists to slow down.

Surely a controlled crossing or other engineering works would be better or do kids not cross the roads any other time?

Public consultation has opened for The Crescent/Sea Road Junction Upgrade and is open until 8-Jun-2023.

All documents related to it are at the link below

The site is located as follows:

• R337 Fr Griffin Avenue, starting 50 meters south from the junction with the LS5115 Sea Road up to the Junction upgrade of the R864 St Marys Road.

The scheme is proposed to include:

• The redesign of junction of The Crescent, Salthill Road Lower, Taylor’s Hill and St. Mary’s Road to include the tightening of the junction facilitated by the rationalisation of some on-street parking.
    • The resurfacing of Sherwood Avenue from Taylor’s Hill Road to Scóil Fhúrsa.
    • The removal of the left slip lane from The Crescent to Salthill Road Lower.
    • Redesign of the available space to facilitate enhanced pedestrian facilities and public realm.
    • The upgrade to the traffic signals at this junction and linkages with the UTMC to provide better control on his Junction.
    • The provision of raised tables at the junctions of Crescent Green, Palmyra Park and Sea Road.
    • The narrowing of the Sea Road junction facilitated by build-out and the removal of 1 no. lane of traffic from the Sea Road approach.
    • The provision of a pedestrian crossing on Fr Griffin Avenue directly west of the junction with St Pauls Road.
    • The provision of a pedestrian crossing on The Crescent, directly east of the junction with Palmyra Park and resurfacing of adjacent pedestrian facilities of length approximately 330m.
    • Improved public realm space at the location of the existing slip road from The Crescent to Salthill Road Lower with hard and soft landscaping to be introduced.

Written submissions or observations with respect to the proposed development dealing with the proper planning and sustainable development of the area in which the development is situated may be made in writing to the Local Authority to arrive no later than: 4.00pm on Thursday, 8th of June 2023 to Senior Planner, Planning Department, Galway City Council, City Hall, College Road, Galway or by email to planning@galwaycity.ie

• Advertisement

Public consultation has also opened for the Ballybane Road and Castlepark Road Cycle Network Scheme and is also open until 8-Jun-2023.

All documents and info are at the following link

The site is located as follows:

• R865 Ballybane Road, from its junction with the R339 Monivea Road to a point approximately 130m north of Skerritt Roundabout (R338 Dublin Road).
    • L5029 Castlepark Road, from its junction with R865 Ballybane Road to its junction with R339 Monivea Road

The development will consist of:

• The provision of a 2m protected cycle track and 2m footpath on both sides of Ballybane Road and Castlepark Road, reducing in places where constraints exist.
    • Reduction in road carriageway widths (typically 3m wide lanes).
    • Junction realignments and the introduction of raised crossings on all side roads to prioritise pedestrian movements.
    • Straight through cycle lane/track crossings on all side road junctions to prioritise cyclists movements.
    • The provision of signalised crossings for pedestrians and cyclists.
    • Upgrading of the R865 Ballybane Road / L5029 Castlepark Road junction and L5029 Castlepark Road / R339 Monivea Road junction to signalised junctions with provision for pedestrians and cyclists.
    • The introduction of pedestrian and shared crossing points at several locations.
    • The provision of landscaping along the routes. 

Written submissions or observations with respect to the proposed development dealing with the proper planning and sustainable development of the area in which the development is situated may be made in writing to the Local Authority to arrive no later than: 4.00pm on Thursday, 8th of June 2023 to Senior Planner, Planning Department, Galway City Council, City Hall, College Road, Galway or by email to planning@galwaycity.ie

Advertisement