Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

CircleK Chargers

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,903 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Expansion at the site on the M9 outside Carlow

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Was the shelter always there?

Good effort but it'd be nice if it covered the cars as well

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭zg3409

Yes, since dec 22. If they are making roofs they need to also design for trucks and busses and cars towing caravans charging and have a very high roof and petrol stations layout.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I agree, but you'll want to make your views heard in the National EV charging guidelines consultation if you haven't done so yet 😁

Hopefully if we're all asking for a forecourt style layout then they'll add it to the document as a recommendation, it's currently actively discouraged in the guidelines

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,903 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Another well placed site in NCD just off the M1 getting 2x 300kW units…

Very well placed for folk coming down the M1 visiting Dublin or the airport…

Circle K Lanestown (Coming Soon)

R132, Lanestown, Co. Dublin, Ireland

https://www.plugshare.com/location/571264

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭innrain

Noticed on plugshare new chargers being installed at Ashtown/Castleknock service station

Circle K Kilternan just applied for an extension which also includes 4 charging spaces and a substation. No docs as of yet.

https://planning.agileapplications.ie/dunlaoghaire/application-details/97606

• Registered Users Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Good spot. No docs uploaded yet but via the blurb we can already see some interesting changes and an indication as to where some of the smaller service-stations are going. Circle K Kilternan is on a regional road R117 and runs parallel to the N11 just 2.5km East. It sees moderate passing traffic and much of the commuter traffic is local as most would use the N11 to get into Sandyford or the city, etc. It's a rapidly expanding area in terms of population growth, but the Wicklow border just a km down the road and the much prized sylvan setting will limit that growth further from the city. It's along a busy cycling route into Enniskerry and the Wicklow hills. It's not a route that taxi drivers would commonly take and driving there to obtain a charge would be taking them away from the center of their existing patches.

They are proposing to remove the ATM room (presumably to also remove the ATM) and extend to offer hot and cold food, but they are expecting the long-staying EV drivers to eat at the wheel. The off-license will be extended and we'll have the four aforementioned EV parking spots. The indication of a substation implies that this is going to be more than just 4 50kW units anyway.

I'm going to guess that it's 4x 120kW units anyway giving an average dwell-time of around 25 to 30 mins for most top-up's. Perfect for tucking away a sloppy cheese-burger and large coke that they clearly expect us to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭crl84

I don't really see the logic in putting 100KW+ chargers in areas so close to Dublin (or any other major residential areas), before other areas?

I don't live in Dublin, but if I was on the way back from the south-east, to somewhere on the southside/west Dublin, coming past Kilternan, I'd basically already be home anyway. If I didn't think I'd have enough charge to get home, or was even vaguely concerned, I probably would have already topped up at one of the 180KW chargers at either Applegreens on the M11.

Even if I hadn't, and was getting close to Kilternan, and was living in the Dublin area and need a charge to definitely get home, a few minutes will likely do, I wouldn't be spending 25mins there charging up to 70+%...

There's plenty of Circle Ks further south on the N11/M11, or just off them, that would be better placed for a top-up, if I was going from Waterford/Wexford to Dublin, or vice versa. Circle Ks in Arklow, Ashford or even Kilcoole, would make far more sense to be putting 100KW+ chargers into IMO.....

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

You put the chargers where the customers need them. Not everyone has home charging and it's quite common to see taxi drivers using the rapid chargers around the city.

They'll be targetting this market. CircleK as an organisation have plenty of experience with siting of chargers, they've an extensive network in Norway that they'll be using to model their roll out as adoption rates increase.

• Advertisement

All of the above, plus don't forget that one of the highest if not the highest uptake of EV's is in this area of South Dublin. Garages for the last year or two are guaranteed to be seeing reduced traffic on the forecourts, so this is an attempt to expand offerings and attract some of that market back.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭CivilEx

Ireland is generally a "hub and spoke" when it comes to transport planning where Dublin is the hub, so if you are travelling 150km+ from the region's towards Dublin, a fast DC charger on the arterial routes on the outskirts of the city in makes perfect sense and is needed.

Doing this in reverse means fast DC charging is needed on arterial routes heading West / South in the regions. These seem to be progressing, but at a much slower rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Better infrastructure for high power grid connections nearer Dublin also I suspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭digiman

I see a new 4 charging bay at Circle K on the Navan Road beside Castleknock. Doesn’t seem to be live yet, but nice to see 300kW chargers there.

I try not to put up non live sites here.

This is the castleknock site

Other coming soon sites in Wicklow town (easygo) and lots of esb AC replacements up the north in recent weeks (most of these are live)

Docs uploaded. The chargers will be located in place of the exiting coal storage and launderette. The chargers proposed are HYC 300. They seem to want to keep the jet wash although it looks pretty tight

Thanks for the info! They have a good bit of space around the back there, no issue having the jet-wash there and chargers except that the area being proposed for the chargers is currently a set-down area for customers. It will be interesting to see how they police it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭MarkN

In Norway, Circle K have put chargers where the pumps used to be in some stations and moved the fuel pumps to the back, kinda the reverse of what we have in the images above. I wonder when/if they’ll ever be as bold here…

• Registered Users Posts: 21,373 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I guess given that its the same company (circle k) that they will do it if demand shows it as needed

• Registered Users Posts: 13,758 ✭✭✭✭JPA

We need to get to a point where there is practically zero thoughts involved in stopping to charge. See a circle K (or similar), and simply stop to charge.

• Advertisement

my guess in 10-15 years. By that time Norway will have 5% of the service stations it has now.

Yes, but we're a long way from that, and putting one of the few new 100KW+ chargers so close to Dublin makes it basically worthless for most people in Dublin. Obviously it's great for those coming from the SE up to Dublin or further along the east coast.

Locating this somewhere halfway down the M11 would be more useful for people from Dublin going South, and people in the South East going north IMO. As I said, somewhere like Arklow.

Obviously the ideal solution would be to have one at Kilternan, one in Arklow, and more all around the place, but that isn't going to happen any time soon....

As I said above, that's great, but there's no sign of one at the other end of the spoke at the moment. Put one in the middle of the spoke allows people at both the hub end, and spoke end, to take advantage of it. Having it at the hub end (Dublin) doesn't really benefit the vast majority of people at that end.

Applegreen's locating of their 180KW chargers at Newtown Mount Kennedy and Gorey, the only 100KW+ chargers on that route, makes far more sense to me...

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭CivilEx

Don't forget Ionity half way down the M11 also. That makes three very fast charging locations in the 125km stretch between South Dublin and Wexford. More always needed, but it's improving along the M11!

Thanks, I didn't know about Ionity there, they don't show up on PlugShare when you filter to 55KW+ chargers....

That location, and the other Ionity locations such as (roughly) halfway between Dublin-Cork on the M8, and Dublin-Galway on the M6, illustrate my point further. The Ionity in Louth on the M1 is a lot closer to Dublin than Belfast, but still a decent bit outside Dublin that it's useful for people on a return journey to Belfast.

The under-construction Dungannon one, roughly halfway between Belfast and Enniskillen/Omagh/Donegal is another example.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

The Circle K in Dungarvan on the Kilrush Roundabout are adding 2 charging units, presumably that means 4 cars can charge at a time?

To think it was less than 2 years ago that town only had a single 50kW ESB unit, progress!

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭tlaavtech

It's crazy that both Tramore and soon Dungarvan will have more DC chargers than Waterford City has.

Yes... Waterford has 2 at Bolton street car park and 1 at Ballybricken. It's quite sad really

Worth noting that Waterford is rumoured to be getting a 6 car ionity hub though

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭tlaavtech

Planning application was submitted (during the summer I think) for the petrol station near Whitfield clinic - a location with an interesting relationship with car charging in the past....

The very one yes, it has planning reference 2360156 and one of the Further Information documents show very clearly an Ionity station

But as you say there has been an interesting relationship between that site owner and the world of EVs in the past so planning might mean nothing

• Advertisement

Yes these chargers can charge 2 cars at a time and I think have 2 x ccs and 1 x ChaDeMo each.

Advertisement