Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

CircleK Chargers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭n.d.os

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭loopymum

It's expensive but as another poster said if you are a regular user sign up to a plan

25kw would get me about 140kms at gps 120 on the motorway. 160 easily on non motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,317 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Infrastructure costs money. You may pay more than petrol. Buy you don’t pay Ionity prices for Home charging.

the way I see it is, that fast charging is like doining your weekly ship in a convenience shop. You pay a premium , but don’t do it often, so you take the hit.

retail energy price should drop sometime in June or July. We may see fast chargers drIp then also

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭eastie17

Ionity is 35 cents a kWh on some manufacturer plans

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Invest €5 in a FreshMile card, should work out much cheaper as long as your car can take a charge at a decent rate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭n.d.os

I might use a public charger two or three times a year. Is it worth it? I haven't opened an account with any of the charger companies for this reason.

Worth it if you want the convenience of using Ionity for motorway trips. If you’re happy enough using eCars, stick with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭innrain

In that case charging at Ionity once in a blue moon is not like having diner at a Michelin restaurant? Those who constantly charge at Ionity have better deals in place

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Freshmile are 30c/kWh + 45c/min, is that good really for ionity?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,935 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I think someone worked out that if you're over a certain charging speed it's cheaper than Ionity base rate

Can't remember the speed, feel like it was 60-70kW

Someone more awake can work it out if they want 😁

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement

Did a quick excel, a few small findings

If you charged for 1hr at 10kW (and received 10kWh) it would cost €30 or €3/kWh... Obviously you wouldn't charge for an hour under normal circumstances

Using the same formula few other figures of speed in kW v price in €/kWh

40 - 0.975

55 - 0.79 break even point vs using ionity directly

85 - 0.617 ecars 50-150kW rate

94 - 0.587 ecars 50kW rate

100 - 0.57

150 - 0.48

180 - 0.45 Model 3 max speed

200 - 0.435

230 - 0.417

250 - 0.408

300 - 0.39

350 - 0.377 - max speed possible on ionity

See the first post on this page Ionity is 71c/kWh

The cost using Ionity pricing CI = I*charging speed* time

The cost using FM model CM= (C0+C1*charging speed)*time ; C0 is represented in minutes. To have the same units as charging speed needs to be multiplied by 60 f0r this example 45*60 = 2700 c/h, I =71 c/kWh, C1= 30c/kWh

when they are equal I*charging speed = C0+C1*charging speed => charging speed = C0/(I-C1)= 2700/41 = 65.85 kW

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Annoyingly the new charger in Fermoy is broken already according to plugshare.

Pity - I was hoping that we might see evidence of increased uptime with the Alpitronic hypercharger if those were more reliable.....

I get the impression from looking at Plugshare that the 150 kW Deltas as used by ESB are possibly the most reliable non Tesla rapid charger in operation in Ireland.

Does that sound about right or am I missing something

Yes, I got 52kWh a few days ago which took 25mins and it was just under €26 which worked out at less than 52c per kWh. If I had used my EasyGo account it would have cost €40. I mainly charge at home on night rate and cant justify a monthly subscription to get better DC charging rates.

It’s a good pricing model as it helps to prevent people hogging chargers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭micks_address

was hoping to use the Fermoy charger saturday - its broken? Do they take debit card for payment at the charger or do you need their app?

Cheers,

Mick

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Old diesel

One of the people on plugshare got a successful charge afterwards at Inver Fermoy - which has ESB 150 kW and 50 kW chargers.

Edit

Someone got a successful charge yesterday with their Leaf at the Circle K.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,270 ✭✭✭✭fits

i didn’t charge but I did have a look at it on Wednesday and it seemed to be online and working. I didn’t see anyone charge at it either mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,506 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

That was me on plugshare, it was cordoned off with black and yellow tape. I nipped in, got a mcdonalds, and went on to the inver to charge and eat!

Good to see it's fixed again. I picked that charger initially because of the good plugshare reviews so whatever the issue was it must have been temporary

• Registered Users Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭MarkN

Working yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,270 ✭✭✭✭fits

Nipped in for a coffee and a donut delighted I could get to cork and back without charging. 386 km. about 300 motorway at 110 ish ( I stick on the acc and cruise)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭micks_address

Using the circle k in fermoy.. it's working charging around 108kwh

Applegreen 75c/kWh + €30 pre-auth

Circle K - 69c/kWh + €20 pre-auth

The irony in Circle K being cheaper than Applegreen for car charging after years of the opposite being true for petrol and diesel is not lost on me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭loopymum

Quick question. I was charging in Fermoy yesterday & couldnt figure out how to stop the charge. I I had to wait till it hit 94% & stopped itself. It said press the stop button to stop the charge. Asked the girl in the shop & she said in our car but no stop button in the ioniq 28

• Registered Users Posts: 23,317 ✭✭✭✭ted1

alot of people get 4c per litre from Circle K. So works out cheaper than AG

To be fair the petrol prices vary by station, some Circle K stations are cheaper than Applegreen

I wonder if we'll see per station prices for EV charging in the future 🤔

Questionable, they say the reason petrol prices differ between stations is because the profit margins are low so maybe when they lower their profit margins they will

Aside from the rural/urban divide there's no difference in home electricity prices

AFAIK it's partly down to the franchise model, the station owner buys the fuel and sets the price. There might be some price controls but I imagine they're all around the same price due to competition

The charging network on the other hand must be centrally owned so the brand sets the price

• Registered Users Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭zg3409

Easygo already have different prices per station. At lidl sites lidl set the prices. At non lidl sites typically the site owner sets the prices. For AC the price varies wildly with say some hotels free, others using 3 or 4 year old pricing, other newer sites crazy prices particularly 5 star hotels. Some AC chargers may be a terrible 3kW maximum.

ESB already has different prices for different theoretical maximum speeds such as 200kW vs 50kW. They apply the higher fee even if the site has limited grid supply so speeds may never be possible or in the case of sharing with a car next to you typically maximum speed is halved but price is still higher. In NI esb has a "starting charge" fee which is not in ROI.

Some roaming cards have a per minute fee in addition to charging fee. Some roaming cards are cheaper. It's all very confusing and far from straight forward.

• Advertisement

Assuming Ioniq has similar software as my Kona I would set the limit of DC charging % below the current level which would end the charging session.

Advertisement