Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BGW / DGW Discussion 2022/2023

Options
  • 28-02-2023 11:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,185 ✭✭✭✭

I felt like this might warrant it's own thread rather than putting in into the GS26 transfer thread, or the General Thread.

We're starting to get a bit more of a picture of how the teams are going to blank / double over the next few weeks now. The Leicester result tonight in the cup has thrown a spanner in the works, as their game against Brentford will go ahead now meaning Brentford have double - single - double. Then the Fulham result means their game against Liverpool is postponed after many loaded up on Liverpool players ahead of DGW25.

I'm currently on 7 players for GW28, with a sub keeper also. 1 of those 7 is a rotation risk. On the other hand, I have 8 DGW players for GW29, again with a sub DGW keeper. I'm still tempted to bring in Raya as a keeper though, as the fixtures are more plentiful and better over the period of 3-4 GWs.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭macraignil

Looks like my team is in a fairly bad situation for week 28 as it stands and have already used my free hit and wildcard. Have avoided hits so far this season but thinking now it may be worth taking at least one to try avoid disaster in GW28. Brentford look like a good option but not sure how good there chances are for a clean sheet against Leicester in GW28.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭mindhorn

I have 7 available for GW28, none are rotation risks. Was thinking of using the FH for that GW but I might hold on to it and get it up to 8 or 9 players by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,185 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Yeah it's hard to know what way to go in BGW28. If most teams are going to have around 8/9 players, it might be just worthwhile going with 8 or 9, maybe 10 with a hit and try maintain where you are in OR and mini leagues. Might be worth looking at how well stocked rivals are / could be.

is the FH going to be a waste that week if you can maintain ground and better use it later on?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,656 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I think I'll just wing it with free transfers until GW29 at least. It's hard to see who'd be worth bringing in on a free hit for 28 anyway. Most of us have three ARS already. Chelsea are home to Everton, but who wants to load up on them right now? Brentford at home to LEI, but you'd be bringing in their assets for their double in 27 anyway.

As it stands, I can field 9 in GW28. Not a brilliant 9, but could get it up to 11 with free transfers.

Southampton v Spurs might just go ahead in GW28 - Grimsby have already knocked out Saints, and Spurs are one down to Sheffield Utd with only a few mins left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Confirmed now. Spurs v Newcastle in GW32 as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,639 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Only 3 games off in GW 28 now

That Spurs game playing & Kane now available makes things interesting....a lovely run of fixtures going into the next few games too.

The games are just mass-owned players from Man City, Man Utd, Brighton, Fulham & Liverpool!

The results tonight and the impact on fixtures have me now thinking about an earlier wild card rather than saving it. Need to mull it over though - it might be a kneejerk reaction to going out of one of my LMS leagues. 😪

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭sheroman01

A mad few days. I actually now have 8 players for the BGW28. I think I'll still WC this week or next week, and then BB in DGW29. Some very big questions to answer though:

1 - WC in GW26 or 27?

2 - Odegaard or Martinelli?

3 - Kane or Watkins?

4 - Will March and Estupinan be fit?

5 - Stick with Toney? Not only the ban, but he's 1 yellow away from 2 game suspension.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭bantee

I think I'll go with the GW26 WC to set up for the next 3 weeks, get Kane back in and double Brentford/triple Brighton

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Benimar

1. I'd lean towards GW27. I'm not sure I will WC in GW27, but if your team is ok for this week, I'd take the extra week. You have more time to think it through and who knows what might happen - a highly owned player gets an injury and the 'ideal' WC might change.
    2. I have Martinelli and will keep him short term, until GW29 at least.
    3. Tough one. If you have the money then maybe Kane, but I don't expect more than 6-9 points in any GW from either.
    4. this is another reason I wouldn't WC in 26. We should know the answer by 27.
    5. I think he is 2 bookings away. Probably worth bringing him in if we don't hear any more by the weekend. I don't think his suspension will come through, I'd me more worried he might be given time off - hes very annoyed with leaks from the FA so I'd say his head is wrecked.

This seems to be the best strategy alright. Unfortunately the way the fixtures have fallen will make it harder for the likes of me (languishing behind) to make up serious ground... a more chaotic end to the season would have given more opportunities.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,639 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

So is the general plan to do the following:

WC in GW26/27

BB in GW 29

FH in 34/37

The international break between GW28/29 is a bit off putting for me so might: FH GW29, WC GW33, BB GW 34

• Registered Users Posts: 32,871 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I'm running through this possibility aswell

However between GW26 and 32, how many weeks do I want Brighton player for

GW26 WHU (H) Not a bad fixture but West Ham have just won 4 nil and will be on a high surely

GW27 Double (this is the time we really want them for)

GW28 Blank

GW29 Double (although this may be a week many of us ending up FHing to attack the biggest remaining double week if you can find a suitable BB week in 34 or 37)

GW30 TOT (A)

GW31 CHE (A)

GW 32 Blank

Now between GW33 and 38 they will have 3 doubles (1 of those may end up being in 30 or 31 also which would strengthen those weeks), but is the better time to wildcard in Brighton players.

If you are playing a chip in 29, does that not make Brighton players a horrible option to hold between GW28 and 32 (before the time when everyone will want them again). Even if you're not playing that FH chip in 29, is that week enough to justify Blank, TOT (A), CHE (A) and Blank in 4 of the other 5 weeks? Feels like you would need to be getting some serious returns in 27 and 29 to justify stacking the squad with them (particularly with them being without an obvious talisman and it being difficult to choose between Mitoma, March, McAllister and Ferguson as the attacking players of choice).

I feel like this might be me aswell. WC 28, BB 29, FH 34/37 is also an option though.

@Cass@CSF @CSF @Cass it's nice to hear the counter argument for Brighton. I'm kind of having those internal thoughts about Brentford!

What I will say about Brighton is that they are cheap and easy bench. They are nearly all sub 5.0 players so won't break the bank either. It's easy bring one or two in and hold then them for the DGWs etc.

Post edited by Fitz* on

Fair point, but WC teams are gonna be so strong, bench included, so you can just bench some Brighton/Brentford players most weeks and gradually sell the ones you don't want long term.

You can. I’m not saying it can’t be navigated around. I’m moreso pointing out that Brighton players seem to be one of the central reasons for a wildcard now (rather than a facilitator of other players), and I’m not sure they justify it, especially since I imagine we all have 3 Arsenal, Rashford and Haaland and aren’t planning to tear those up just yet either, so that might make the gains less pronounced.

I can see myself bringing in Toney this week, a Brentford defender next week, those being my only 2 doublers in 27, but I’ll have 2 Liverpool against Bournemouth, 3 Arsenal against Palhinhaless Fulham, Rashford against Southampton, Trippier at home to Wolves and Haaland away to Palace. So do I have that much to be nervous about there?

And I’ll still land on 11 players without any hits between now and 28 (I’ll be playing 5-3-2, but that’s not a disaster).

Whereas I could arrive later (probably GW33) and seeing Brighton with 3 doubles, United with 2 and City with 2, and feeling like attacking those (aswell as the fixture swing that comes with knowing who is competing for their lives at both ends of the table and which games mean less), in a way that those who are without the wildcard might struggle to.

I guess I’m just more curious who the other players aside from Brentford and Brighton that people would be attacking with this wildcard now. That’s the bit that someone might put an argument together on that might make me rethink my original thoughts.

• Advertisement

Another point in favour of 33, is that Arsenal’s fixtures from 33 to 36 are Man City (A), Chelsea (H), Newcastle (A) and Brighton (H) so in spite of the fact that Arsenal will be in a title race, we may decide we don’t want 3 of them anymore (Saka will likely remain, but I’d say the defender and 2nd attacker will be moved onto chase doublers)

Just on the WC now or later debate, to me WC26/27 is a clear winner. It allows you to plan for 2 DGWs, 1 BGW and a sets you up for a BB on a DGW. BGW32 is easily navigated and you have plenty of weeks to drop off Arsenal/Brentford/Brighton assets if needed. Brighton and Arsenal are doing so well, it's fine to be stocked up on them too I think. If you have a FH, then you're flying as you can navigate DGW34/37 with that.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I wouldn't be worried about having an Arsenal defender against Chelsea and Newcastle. Neither look that great offensively so I could see them keeping clean sheets there. Other than that I get what you mean.

Which are the weeks you’ll want Brighton assets for between 28, 30-32 though? Which becomes a problem, as they’ll become popular again for their 3 doubles later.

I agree that having 27, 28 and 29 sorted is crucial, but I feel like Brentford v Leicester and Southampton v Spurs being on makes 28 easy to plan for with free transfers. 27 being a double gameweek is lessened by Arsenal, United, Liverpool, Spurs, City and Newcastle (the teams we’ve been gravitating to all season) all having great fixtures.

Obviously the value is not the same, but with value less of a concern this season, am I definitely preferring Mitoma with that 27 double over Salah away to Bournemouth. Does Estupinan have better points potential that week than Trippier for example? I’m not so sure. I’m not saying the reverse is massively true either, but if it’s a much of a muchness I’d prefer to wait to when I’m looking to go treble United, treble City and treble Brighton later for doubles galore. Toney is the one that looks a huge double for me, and I’ll be getting him anyway and captaining him.

GW29 is an absolutely fine week for a BB, but I like it even better for the FH (even with a wildcard I could only bench 4 players in GW28 from Man United, Liverpool, Brighton, West Ham in preparation for it, all of which have guys in my 29 FH draft along with the likes of Newcastle and Leicester players)

It’s not so much about being worried about it. They’re just not premium fixtures for defenders either, and there’ll be opportunities to attack with doubles elsewhere. If I’d a Brighton defender, a City defender (getting the right one is the trickier bit), and a United bit, I’d get a combined 7 doubles from those 3 guys during that spell, at a time when Arsenal would have none.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Jesper

MY WC for week 26 -

Azi / Ward

Mee / Estupinan / Zinchenko / Shaw / Trippier

Maddison / Odegaard / Rashford / Saka / Mitoma

Toney / Haaland / Kane

Its very template. The players in Bold I'm probably going to change. Suggestions?

Plan is to BB in week 29 and have around 9 players for GW 28.

It’s a very nice team, but it feels like a lot of it would be what you/many would likely have already had. Like I’ll have 8 of the same players next week and then White/Martinelli vs Zinchenko/Odegaard is similarity also.

Were you previously far from the template and using the wildcard to move closer to it, or is it primarily geared towards getting in those 4 GW27 doublers?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,053 ✭✭✭COH

My season is in perenial sh*t OR wise and currently want rid of Tarkowski, Walker, Arizabalaga, Bueno, Andreas, Nketiah, Salah & maybe maybe Shaw so the early WC is a no brainer as have nothing to lose I suppose

Raya - Ward

Trippier - Shaw - Estupinan - Henry - Zinchenko

Maddison - Saka - Martinelli - Mitoma - Rashford

Toney - Haaland - Kane

Pretty straight forward and covered (touch wood) for the next few GWs with a view to using the BB in 29. Will keep the FH for later in the season 32/34

If I BB in GW29 with my current team, I'd have 9 DGW players. Might not be the best 9, but there would be 9. I can use my FTs and still have the 9. Haaland, Kane, Arsenal & Mahrez being the single GW players so not a bad option all the same.

Maybe a GW28 WC can maximise the DGW players for BB, while also navigating the BGW?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,083 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

I am thinking of a very similar team on wildcard but I've no idea who I should be benching this week especially with such a top heavy defence and midfield.

Advertisement