Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo has lost his lustre

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

They should change their slogan to " rewarding those that don't get up early in the morning "

Taking half your income over the pittance that 40k gets you in Ireland in 2023... if you're young and unattached, run out of this country. We are treated as atm's for waste and wasters...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭obi604

Was it that Leo was on a night out somewhere, and he just started shifting some random lad?

Is Leo and his other half still together?

I earn more that that and happy enough to pay.

I'm not happy with the services I receive back from that tax burden. Improve public services to what other countries (of our size) would get and it would be a bargain.

Cosgrave is an absolute tool but, at the moment, a useful one.

There is no way that he will release these until Collins is put to the sword though

All of the decision makers benefit from rip off property.... watch realestate4ransom on YouTube...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Have you never seen what social housing projects turn into? Look at the pictures of social housing estates in any town in Ireland. Would you want to live next to that squalor? Fair play to FG in recognizing the harm social housing does and avoid making the mistakes of the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭JPCN1

FG need to drop Leo and he can take Harris and McEntee with him. He has been and continues to be a rudderless disaster.

So I'm from squalor? Because I grew up in one have 2 level 8 qualifications, manage a cybersecurity team. I don't live there any more but my parents do and my kids go to the local gaelscoil

My "squalor estate" of 22 houses has, of my age group, at least 8 of us with degrees or higher and 13+ tradespeople (most with own businesses).

It's not the social housing set which crashed this country in 2008.

I played on south Dublin AIL winning squads and didn't hear such bull as your comment, from the most privileged the country has

Get rid of varadkar, hopefully he loses his seat next election. Get lucinda Creighton back in, more balls than any 0f those mullets fg has, Donohoe, varadkar, coveney, the school boy etc...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Creighton completely and utterly left the party, there is no option to get her back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,008 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

That poster is still entertaining pipe dreams of FG 'lurching to the right' but it's telling they can't think of a single prominent figure within the current parliamentary party who would be likely to take them in that direction...

Id he happy with a lurch to the centre.they could conceivably go even further left under jokes like the aforementioned. look im not the one facing big seat losses. They are too spineless, to win votes... they wouldn't have the balls to freeze welfare and reward workers for example. Chasing a welfare vote, which they seem to be doing, is an odd strategy, given that even with worldclass welfare and free housing etc, they'll never get a single welfare vote. While many ex voters of theirs, workers, feel abandoned by the party and the lies...

Could the fg party posters on board, please explain their tactics of welfare before workers and how its beneficial to the fg cause ?

im not the one facing big seat losses.

Are FG either?

This guy has been consistently predicting for the last year and a half that FG will be coming out of the next election on 35-40 seats, a bit up on where they are now

I think nearly all Fine Gaelers would take that, given they will have been in government for nearly 15 years by the time of the next election...

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Irlandese

I am now a very old ex-pat. I learned the values and codes of conduct of public service in a very different time. I worked with politicians at all levels, both at home and internationally, for over forty years. It was seldom a real pleasure. We civil servants usually did the thinking, did the work and stayed up late to keep the show on the road, while others got the credit and all too often let us down. It is rare to see the real deal, like Leo Vradaker, come along, with buckets of that rare commodity, integrity, matched up by even more buckets of ability, humility, (yes, humility) and common decency.

We never deserved him and we certainly don't deserve him now. But he keeps coming back, doing his best, which is light years beyond what we had to put up with, for too many years, by way of sleeveen, double-dealing, lying, cheating, coniving whores from De-Valera" to Haughey and Ahearne, down through the ranks of so many forgettable grabbers, from all parties, who gave nothing and took whatever they could. Very few can be ranked with Collins, Lemass and very few others, for such qualities and lives of honest and fearless service, when it counted. Vradaker can and should be placed with such men, not for such light themes as exercise your minds here, but for what he has done to bring decency, integrity, honour and pride to a people who had forgotten that such values should always be at the heart of public service. History will record him as one of our greatest, for the sense of pride, mission and inclusion that he brings to the job. People all over the world were surprised and impressed by our maturity and good fortune in electing him as Taoiseach. Many of us stand back in awe and thank the heavens that he still puts up with all the baloney we can see in some of the comments here. I know, it goes with the site and it goes with the territory. But, once in a while, it is good to remember just how bloody lucky we are to have someone like him around. He raises the general performance, integrity and dignity standards, wherever he goes.

I have some anecdotes and private information that I would never share. Codes of conduct etc. This advantage perhaps explains why I am so enthusiastic about the man. I am typically a cynical evaluator, particularly when it comes to politicians. When you talk about core values and selfless and courageous choices, rather than the gossip and nonsense that passes for real political analysis today, the man is head and shoulders above the rest of us, me included.

Sf only concern is a United Ireland. What happens when they blow the best chance they will ever have, leading the country after the next election, odds of which are a coinflip or less. But say they do run the country as part of a coalition, what happens when they likely make no real difference on housing... that's how they are so popular. But when housing doesn't change, their united Ireland dream will be set back decades. They wont be able to drive the agenda, like they would if they were ruling... interesting times ahead...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,259 ✭✭✭standardg60

Completely agree, instead of standing up for their ideals in standing with the worker which many would agree with and support with their vote, they feel the need to mirror the opposition's promise of one for everyone in the audience.

No one on the left is going to vote for them anyway, they should bite down on being the party for those who get up in the morning. Just cos the media rounded on varadkar for exclaiming such and forcing a climbdown, doesn't mean a lot of people agree with it.

Ffg need to cop on and realise that Irish politics is no longer about the civil war, the left has risen and there's a lot of people angry about the policy of being a welfare state, where the mantra is what can your country do for you rather than the other way round.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Lurch to the centre?

There are rows of tents with homeless refugees lined up in the streets in Dubiin according to todays news. In 20 years time he'll be remembered as an absolute hard core right winger.

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/homeless-refugees-pitch-tents-in-centre-of-city-in-bid-to-stay-safe/a1313009052.html

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Varadkar is a fraud and has been for years

he took power in FG via a completely misleading pr campaign.

over-promising that he was going to be mr popular bringing in a new era for FG.

he was never mr popular and never will be.

He is widely ridiculed.

Coveney won the party vote over him because the insiders dreaded LV taking over

He’s a fraud and FG will always struggle with him in charge.

Look, the man voted against gay rights when they were unpopular but, when the tide shifted, he tried to own the marriage referendum.

Guy is absolute opportunistic slime who will vote whatever way will give him the most power/influence and benefit him.

There are many politicians whose politics I despise but can at least respect that those ideas are what they stand for, even if I fundamentally disagree.

Leo? Feels like nothing is true and can never be counted on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭rock22

And it looks like he his partner has managed to embarrass Ireland at eh Coronation.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,799 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

This is accurate. Unless SF can exceed something like 42% of first preferences and overwhelm their own seat bonus toxicity, there is no path for them to Government.

I can also tell you, as a Fine Gael background worker, that Varadkar isn't going to lead the party into the 2025 election. He plans to resign the leadership in the Autumn of 2024 and allow a contest to replace him, then retire his seat and allow Emer Currie a clear run at it in Dublin West.

That will be a serious knife into Sinn Féin, an FG going into the election with, most likely, a young woman and mother and experienced senior minister and huge vote getter in her wealthy rural / commuter belt area, in the person of Helen McEntee. Coveney won't get in her way, in return for an EU Commission job, maybe even President. And Paschal, Simon and others won't touch Helen for the common touch and young vibrant female qualities.

Mary Lou may think she's destined to be the first woman Taoiseach, but very many people are working quietly now to ensure her dream dies within sight of the finish line.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,799 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I'm not sure anyone could upstage the embarrassment of Britain itself, spending 100 million quid on that dark ages farce, while it's people struggle and its economy and future as a Union circle the toilet.

Besides, nobody elected Matt Barrett to anything, he's a private citizen and entitled to quip away.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭JPCN1

McEntee would be a bigger disaster than Leo has been.

If true

Same poster told us this a few weeks ago

Martin has already told the people in FF that need telling, that he won't be standing again and will retire when the election is called. A leadership election will be held about 18 months from now. 

pretty impressive how they have the inside track on both parties...

Could be that. Or maybe the poster is a complete bullshipper...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,259 ✭✭✭standardg60

Not when he's attending an official engagement as the partner of the taoiseach he's not.

Where did he think he was? It is embarrassing but neither of them seem to be able to help themselves from making camp inappropriate comments. There's a time and a place but that wasn't one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

What the Brits do with their money is a matter for them.

Matt Barrett, who is a doctor, behaved like a 12 year old. So yes it's embarrassing for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,073 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

And this lad is a consultant cardiologist? Jesus Wept.

• Advertisement

Nose picking caught on camera on sevsral occasions, writing as a fangurl to Kylie MInogue on Tasoiseach's official paper, posting Instagram pics of his fridge....all while people have no homes, and the forest industry is deliberately collapsed by his friend Pippa Hackett, yet nothing is done becasue he sold the industry to the Greens for support.

Huge disappointment.

Advertisement