Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

F1 2023 - Round 1: Bahrain

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,377 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Ya, he had gone as high as possible in Mercedes (without Toto leaving), and it's a good chance to get experience at a low level team before (possibly) coming back to Mercedes when Toto does step aside.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I haven't really been keeping up to date with any of the preseason chat so this may have been discussed already, but is Alpine running a pink car plastered in BWT looking just like Racing Point from a few years back not very odd?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,574 ✭✭✭quokula

Stroll was within half a second of Alonso and faster than three quarters of the field in practice. The team are professionals, he wouldn't be in the car without being cleared by a doctor. He also had to prove he could get out of the car in a timely manner as part of scrutineering before being allowed to take part, as mentioned in the FIA's documentation here. He did have to hold the steering wheel differently but Kubica raced for years doing the same thing and nobody called him dangerous.

Stroll always gets stronger criticism than other drivers because of his dad. Norris raced at Barcelona with tonsillitis last year and could barely get out of the car and most people praised him for his resilience rather than calling him dangerous for doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

The parallels between Alonso/Schumacher are really there. I think the glory days might be close to over for Lewis, if he doesn’t stick it out with Merc (and they may well get back on form) where would he go? No way RB would take him, Ferrari possibly? Aston Martin now have pace and on the up with they now have Alonso.

Rock and a hard place.

They'll be all pink for first 3 races. They did same last year (might have been first 2 last year). I'm not a fan...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,160 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I'm surprised he passed that test tbh, he looked like he was really struggling.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,271 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Stroll should not be in that car, he cannot turn the car effectively. He will either be a liability or he wont last the race and have to retire.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

After seeing him using his opposite hand to push the steering wheel and needing assistance to exit the car i'm in agreement, i know these lads want to be out racing, but this brings others safety into it..

On another note, due to all the sports televised this weekend i won't get to see anything live, better unfollow this thread for a while later!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,861 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Wouldn't it be so ironic if Aston-Martin's reserve was Robert Kubica?

"Oh, your wrist hurts but it's healing? That's nice."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Stroll is a liability at the best of times anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,007 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I trust the team is making an informed decision on Stroll. It could be that he has enough influence to override the medical advice or the medical team know that they're expected to pass him for to race. But that's the team's decision and their problem if he can't race well.

I heard he was being treated by a famous moto GP doctor who straps moto GP drivers up to race with all kinds of injuries. It's an unusual situation so if he can do it, let him do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,622 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

That’s a good point that given how he’s saying he can’t steer properly, if he can’t exit the car in the time required if there’s an accident then he shouldn’t race.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Jazz Hands

But he clearly can’t do it and confirmed this verbally and visually.

Unless he qualifies 20th he will be a danger to others at the very first corner come the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭Hijpo

But that means he did the test before he tried to steer the car around a track for 26 laps or whatever. That doesn't seem like a test that's fit for purpose in this instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,060 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

I think he would have had to show he could do this as it's part of the regulations.

Before the halo, they had 5 seconds to exit the car and 10 to replace the wheel

12.5.1 Entry and Exit

The driver must be able to enter and get out of the cockpit without it being necessary to open

a door or remove any part of the car other than the steering wheel or side parts of the

headrest as defined in Article 12.6.1.

From his normal seating position, with all seat belts fastened and whilst wearing his usual

driving equipment, the driver must be able to remove the steering wheel and get out of the

car within 7 seconds and then replace the steering wheel in a total of 12 seconds.

For this test, the position of the steered wheels will be determined by the FIA technical

delegate and after the steering wheel has been replaced steering control must be

maintained.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,007 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Which bit can't he do? He did a decent job in practice which suggests he can drive the car. And he must gave passed the test to get out of the car (assuming they did the test since the accident). So if he wants to race, I don't feel qualified to contradict them.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

They just showed footage of him taking both hands off the steering wheel going down the main straight because the vibrations through the wheel were obviously causing him grief. You’d wonder will he cause himself more problems racing when not fully healed.

He doesn’t look like he has a race distance in him at 100% but hopefully he gets on fine.

Rosberg back in the pits this year I see, those covid vaccination rules must be relaxed now I guess. Good to have him back.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭BikeRacer

Stroll currently fastest in FP3. He's using the normal hand positions on the wheel today so he must be loaded up on painkillers

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Yeah much better from him today.

Times are very tight at the top between Alonso, the Red Bulls and Lewis. Qualifying is going to be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,622 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Yeah he’s looking much better so he’ll be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,190 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Hamilton couldnt get out of the car in Baku last year and nobody made Mercedes do anything either

• Registered Users Posts: 3,574 ✭✭✭quokula

Not sure I’ve been this hyped for a qualifying session since some time around 2012. Hope it turns out to be as competitive as practice has made it look.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,160 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I still fancy Max to take poll, there must be more in that car and it's so tight at the top.

Don't understand the love for Rosberg as a pundit...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,271 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Rosberg looks like he might sell me a dodgy Rolex.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭Joeface

Now all Aston have to avoid is the same fate last year where it looked good in one or two races and then they did something to the tires leaving them nothing .

I mean this does Look like a great start list

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Merc with their absolute horse sh** nonsense about an underperforming car as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Relax brah

not many would argue that alonso is top 3 drivers on the grid in terms of ability. If the Aston Martin is 80-90% the car vs ref bull (in terms of performance) than we can expect a very interesting race this weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 12,861 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Deleted comment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,902 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Rosberg chanelling his inner Johnny Logan.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement