Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

F1 2023 - Round 1: Bahrain

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Colour me intrigued.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,574 ✭✭✭quokula

It’s only practice. It’s only practice. It’s only practice. Trying to keep the excitement in check.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Alonsos time of 1:30.9 is 1.8s faster than Aston Martins qualifying time last year.

Leclerc pole time last year was 1:30.6.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,271 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Very interesting FP2, Alonso looking quick. Ferrari's looking quick near the end too

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Alonso was 20/1 to win on Sunday before FP1. I put a few quid on him e/w at 16/1 before FP2. Down to 5/1 now. Race runs were impressive last week so he should be there or thereabouts. 🤞

Norris' pace also encouraging given how far off they seemed last week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Well...I was not expecting Aston to be THAT good, but in the hands of Fernando, that is impressive as hell.

Still feel RB were holding back a bit and they did just about have the pace over AM in race trim. It is all much closer than I thought.

Alonso victory at some point this year? I would bloody love that.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I too think RB are holding back a bit, but I don't mind the possibility of Alonso putting some manners on Verstappen if I'm honest.

I am equally surprised at how far back Merc are right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,190 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

They said they have a plan B car for June or July which is similar to RB/Ferrari design if they can't make this sh1tbox work

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

I thought 0.6s back was good going for them tbh. 😁 Kind of surprised they stuck with the same car design for this year when everyone else is in the Red Bull or a Ferrari camp. According to the pundits on sky the Red Bull has half a second on the Aston in race trim, the Ferrari a bit closer. I’m cheering for Max as usual but it would be great if those three teams are fighting for the win, will make for an intriguing race. Merc look 4th best atm.

Curious to see how Alpine go too, unless they are holding back big time their confidence seems a bit misplaced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,160 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I'm proper hyped for quali tomorrow now. I could not believe Fernando's pace today, I looked it up and his fastest lap in FP2 was 3 tenths off Leclercs pole from last year! I was not expecting that.

I think the 0.6 might extend once engines are turned up tomorrow. AM does seem to have jumped them right now, Alpine aren't far behind them either it seems.

Their car just seems slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,160 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

It's probably too soon but

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Jazz Hands

I think Stoll is a liability this weekend and shouldn’t be driving.

Openly admitting that he is having difficulty using the steering wheel raises safety questions if he will be able to control of the car for 57 laps.

While he could be a danger to others, AM could suffer a premature retirement using him.

Should have used Drugovich

You could see him shaking his hands a bit and clenching. He was tuning at turn 1 like he was at Monaco.

Agreed. He shouldn’t be in the car this weekend, at best he’s going to cost them valuable points.

Here’s a telling interview with the Merc drivers, Hamilton is especially downbeat saying it will be difficult to close the gap to the top with their current car concept.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Stroll should not be driving that car. He could cause an avoidable accident because he's struggling to control it.He can't even get out of the car on his own, it's absolute madness to have him in the car

• Registered Users Posts: 15,669 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Anyone any idea what they were saying? And why was the quality so bad?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭alastair_doom

Very interesting video here of Hamilton rubbishing the idea of a B car. Makes a valid point that with cost caps its just not possible to produce 2 refined models. If current car doesn't work, this season will be a write off.

He looks noticeably worried/dejected/unsettled talking about the car

He can't be allowed to race, good god.

Just saw it was posted above, but dear god no!

Both drivers just seem flat our dejected right now. They will probably have a good race after all of this, but you can see they expected to be better than they are.

It is a really tough spot for them to be in. One superpower that Merc had during their dominant years was their budget, they could throw money at the car and find pace. That is gone now, so it is hard to see them catching up or making serious inroads until they change their concept, and doing that alone will set them back to square one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Hamiltons chances of winning another world championship are more than likely gone for another year. Hard to see him sticking around with a shite car

I think they are just gone, flat out.

He is still capable but he might be losing faith in the team. I have seen the number of people that have left the team over the years and a lot has changed on the technical side without much being replaced. They need a Dan Fallows etc to step in now, but that could take years.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Jazz Hands

I think there is more to the story on why James Vowles left Mercedes to become team principal of Williams.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Longing

Mercedes on race pace today were only sixth fastest. Again we don't know fuel load or engine modes.This has alarm bells ringing within the team there outright race pace. Last year it stood up to them come Sunday it was there ace card to play they would always go better on Sunday. But today there were loosing time lap after lap while the Red Bull was getting faster each lap. Aston Martin were second quickest (Alonso) in race trim. Tommorow is going to be real interesting some real shocks coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,727 ✭✭✭kksaints

Can't see how he's allowed to race tbh. If there was a fire in a crash like Grosjean's on Sunday would he be able to get out fast enough? I doubt it judging by that video.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭Hijpo

No way he does 57 laps

• Advertisement

As you guys have said, madness for Stroll to be driving this weekend. I hope the FIA step in and remove him on safety grounds, unless the team or his dad does it first. Can you imagine the **** storm it would cause if he drives and causes an accident after it was plain to see he wasn’t able for it.

Good point @Frank Bullitt about Merc not being able to spend their way out of trouble anymore. Who knows if Lewis will get a realistic chance to fight for the title again, the end of his winning streak at the hands of Max reminds me of the end of Michael’s reign at the hands of Alonso.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement