Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

F1 2023 - Round 1: Bahrain

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Is Lance wearing socks and flip flops?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,643 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Apparently Stroll also broke a big toe in that cycling accident so the flip flops are apparently more comfortable for the injury. (obviously not wearing them in the car)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,959 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

He broke his big toe. That's why he's wearing them all weekend.

I'm no fan of Stroll, but he did well to race with the wrists and broken toe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,261 ✭✭✭standardg60

Did anyone else think the coverage was dreadful? I haven't a clue what happened re the pitstops during the vsc, did Albon, Gasly and Tsunoda all stop? They all retained their positions which surprised me, also Gasly switched to softs and burned up the track, how did the others not?

Help!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭quokula

There was almost zero coverage of acknowledgement of anything that happened outside the top 8, but that's no unusual on Sky tbh. Crofty couldn't even keep track of what tyres the race leader was on, so following the rest of the field is a bit of an ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,567 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Piastri sorry he did not stay with Alpine now that he sees what a shitshow Mclaren are haha.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Are they not stuck with whatever coverage is provided?

As for Crofty he was following the official graphic, i was actually questioning myself for a second with my recollection that Verstappen had gone on softs. Maybe he was on the beer last night cos when they showed (again) the replay of Stroll hitting Alonso he thought it was a new incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭dmakc

The tyre graphic was wrong on multiple occasions today. Very distracting if you can't trust the anchor of the presentation

• Registered Users Posts: 15,567 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Well done Max.

Well done to Alonso. What a debut with Aston Martin.

Ferrari going to Ferrari.

Mercedes, Mclaren, Alpine and Ferrari all got work to do.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

They have multiple screens in front of them with access to full live timings, GPS trackers etc.

Watching the highlights on channel 4 right now, they have the exact same tools but for example they properly talked about multiple cars that pit for softs during the VSC and what this meant for the race for the final points. Sky ignored this completely.

It’s not really just about what the TV cameras show - any time an overtake or incident occurred anywhere in the field they generally did cut to it - it’s about the commentators covering it and giving it context.

And yes, the graphic was wrong (don’t know how F1 could get something so simple so wrong), but he was visibly driving around with soft tyres and it was even discussed at the time of his pitstop, it was the most significant talking point in the race for the win with Ferrari having softs for the end and Verstappen going to hard so you’d expect the commentator to be aware of it as a minimum.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Ah that makes sense about Lance. I retract my initial fashion shock and replace it with admiration. I was impressed with him this weekend as he definitely looked in pain a couple of times before the race too.

It's not the first time the graphic was wrong, definitely remember it several times last year as to who was on what tyre.

So what did c4 say? Did tsunoda and albon put on another set of hards, gasly left both for dead, or was his car just much better on them?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,287 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

That move by Alonso on Hamilton 🤌🏻🤌🏻🤌🏻

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Coverage was awful. Too many close ups of people in pit lane or garages too.

Graphics are a mess. They need to leave the gaps between cars there so we know who is close to who.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,073 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

The most interesting thing about the season will be Aston Martin.

Red Bull are absolutely miles ahead. Max will set all the records.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,156 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

It's all set to be a procession unfortunately, red bull miles ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭shanec1928

To be fair the fia had the graphic wrong also when I checked the app as we were sure max was on softs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭BrookieD

Race was good, said at the start that Alonso was on for a podium and he driving was that of a man 10 years younger. Mercedes still need wind tunnel time to get that car right. Red Bull carrying on from last year and thats no bad thing. The fun aspect is Aston MArtin getting more wind tunnel time that leading pack due to finish position last year so that could end up with them finishing 3rd ahead of the AMG Mercs. i may place a bet on that.

Smallest field spread in 20 years, and smallest field spread ever under the current qualifying format. When the cars are closely matched the cream will rise to the top as we’ve seen with Alonso and Verstappen but it’s absolutely crazy to be decrying it as uncompetitive after one race.

The gap from 1st to 20th in qualifying was not that different to the typical gap from 1st to the next non Mercedes for most of the hybrid era.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭Dave0301

Should be a safe enough bet given the fact that Mercedes will probably scrap the current car halfway through the season and relaunch with next year in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Longing

Auto Motorsport

After the second pit stop, Red Bull told both Checo and Max to reduce the engine power with about 10 laps to go. From Red Bull we hear, that if they didn‘t reduce the power, they would have driven 1s per lap faster than anyone.

In the Race behind Alonso, Sainz and Hamilton going flat out for the podium.

Well thats that Red Bull will win 2023 Championship.

Highly doubtful. If they had that much in hand they wouldn't have had such a tiny gap in qualifying and Perez wouldn't have struggled so much against Leclerc in the first half of the race.

They had good degradation in those specific track conditions, but that always varies, and RB are completely hamstrung on development for the rest of the season due to handicapping on wind tunnel and CFD time, so it's absolutely insane to claim the championship is over when we haven't seen how any car performs on any other track layout or conditions. Bahrain is not usually overly representative - the winner of that race has not won the championship in any of the last 6 years.

This time last year it was Ferrari on cloud 9. Take nothing for granted yet.

Im not. But this time last year Red Bull had Zero points.

Lando Norris for the 2023 championship so 😋😄

Love to see Lando winning. But not in a Mclaren. Zak Brown has totally turned me of that team especially when they got rid of Whitmarsh a number of years ago. Used him has excuse for there poor results. Well the scrapped the bottom of the barrel when he left in 2014 until 2020 when the finished 3rd

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Joeface

I waited to comment on the race. It was Ok , the Mercedes Aston events was all the excitement we were shown and it was entertaining. all 4 of those drivers gave us something to watch . So good job them. By all accounts there was a decent battle for 9th and 10th points positions covering 4-5 cars/drivers and we were shown none of it . Redbull looked on they were on their own planet . Hoping its just a Track thing but it was easy for them.

F1.5 now contains 3 teams . Ferrari Mercedes & Aston . everyone else is competing in F1.75 , and Bottas/ ALFA is leading that.

It's only one race , I think I was expecting too much 😁, but we had waited months for some action and we got a little taste.

Dear SKY stop showing the stupid giant QR code it takes up half the screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,269 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I watched on channel 4. First time in ages I've watched their full coverage, and didn't know the result in advance. Thought their coverage was poor, commentators tripping over each other and obviously you lose the flow with highlights versus full race. I know there's a tendency here to slate sky and big up channel 4, but I missed sky big time.

Regarding the feed itself, usual stuff of missing action, random shots that didn't make sense. For an organisation that covers all but one of the races (Monaco look after their own) it's baffling that the f1 coverage is still so ropey...

Edit: re. The feed, I know its f1 directly responsible, I'm not slating sky/channel 4 for the direction.

• Advertisement

Well I wouldn't miss phrases like "switcheroo" or "they go wheel to wheel" every time one car goes beside another. Imagine going to a cinema and that guy from work you don't like sits beside you everytime. Doesn't matter how great the picture is, you can't enjoy it with him there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement